Hi guys :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok I'll splain it to ya...

The lifter bores are not true enough for long term roller rockers.
The lifter bores are not deep enough either, especially for high lift rollers. So kinda negates having a radical cam.
Yes you can get lifter bores bored and sleeved with brass, actually extending the brass higher than the block to give more depth
to the bores... but you need a race engine builder to do this. This equipment is not standard fare in automotive machining.
Because of the slight miss-alignment in the lifter bores, the rollers themselves will start to umm. .. loose their **** and galling occurs...
which pollutes the engine with micro (and eventually macro) pieces (flakes) of hardened roller face steel.
These old engines as awesome as the oiling system is, is sub standard for the rollers resulting in... the needle bearings (in the rollers)
giving up the ghost. They are more happy with race engines (but you can't run really high lift cams anyway so moot point) with radical
cam that has a higher idle speed than a daily driver. yes you can buy Redline lifters with bushings instead of needle bearings BUUUUT...
look at the price and **** your pants.

A lot of extra expense for only a very slight boost in performance. Read this sentence over a few dozen times.

Oh and I didn't mention the cam button details... they are not reliable.

Retro roller cam manufactures suggest you inspect every 3000 miles... eeesh.

Fogetaboutit if you want to run propane. Propane engines like to idle down to 500 rpm. Your roller lifters will be having a fit with
oil starvation.

Retro rollers are for hot rods, mud trucks (with 3" body lifts) and anything NOT a daily driver.

Going to retro rollers because you're afraid to break in a flat tappet means... you must not have heard of grooving the lifter bores.

You want to free up some hp? Use an electric fan.

I know, it sounds cool to say "yeah Bubba she's a full roller engine".

Again, it's a very large financial investment for only a very small increase in performance.
Hey, thanks for spending the time on the reply. I'm always open to discussing subjects, even if opinions differ. That's how I've learned many new things. That's one of the reasons I'm here. I hadn't replied yet, just so I could take my time and read your post....

Anyways, first I do have a request. Please do not assume how I feel about something, or why I do something. Just ask me. This comment was border line smart ass, and I did not appreciate it.... (Now I am willing to admit that I may have just read it wrong too, if that is the case)

Going to retro rollers because you're afraid to break in a flat tappet means... you must not have heard of grooving the lifter bores.

I have never said why I prefer rollers. In over 30 years of building a lot of race, and stock OE engines, I have NEVER lost a lobe. Not once. I have even used a buddies 5 year old cam, out of his 12 second car- and tossed it in one of my motors with new lifters. Those lobes are still good, and the motor is sitting on my garage floor right now. I've just been lucky I guess. So, moving on...

Everyone here has the choice to build their rig how they see fit. I've done the 4x4 stuff. I gave it up because I kept breaking stuff. 82 K20. So yeah, been doing the " hot rod" thing. While a lot here are beefing up parts, my crewcab is hitting a diet. Back-half, Phantom wheels in the back.... This is what I'm aiming for....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

And I'll drive it on the street. You bet. People have different opinions on what a daily driver is, and what they can tolerate.

Well, propane? No. Roller cam, or not, I have no desire to run propane. Maybe it will make a difference to someone else-that's for them to decide.

The service every 3,000 miles? Not me. I will be in every 1,000 miles (if not sooner) to CHECK the valves. From my past experience, I've found the lash is only gonna move about .001" in that time. Check it more often so if you DO get a bigger lash, then you know you have issues. Something isn't right, and you catch it BEFORE things blow up on you. And really, how long does it take to run the valves when you have roller rockers on? Not long, especially if you have a bump switch to the starter. Still a daily driver??? It is for me.

I'm not quite sure why you mentioned the cam button. They aren't reliable? Exactly how so is that? I have never had any problems with them.

The cost? Yeah, its more expensive. To go faster, I have to lose weight (fiberglass, lighter parts, chop stuff off), or add power. IMHO, best bang for the buck-high flow heads. Best way to use that potential power sitting there-slam the valves open and closed as fast as possible. The room for power improvement here is huge, if your other components match.

Ok, now the easy part. The whole first half of the post was about the lifters, and needing a competent machinist. Cake.....

1. Dairy Farmers of Oregon sponsored a Top Fuel Funny car from 1990 to 2000. Owned by Wayne Parker and his kids Russ and Randy. They still run their auto electric repair shop a couple miles down the road from me. They raced in division 6. Randys wife races a Top Fuel Dragster, right now, and won the Northwest Nationals last August up in Washington.

2. "Bad Bob" has a 69 El Camino. Full race chassis, the works. Twenty years ago, twenty, his car ran 7s in the quarter mile. It also had lights, plates, and he drove it on the street. I myself saw this, and it was more than once. He"s been in magazines, but whatever.

3. 1998 Dougnsalem takes his STD bore 1970 high nickle LT block, and 292 angle plug heads in for work. You know, the ones you could only buy over the counter. Open checkbook- don't call me, just make it right. Machinist tells me what mechanical roller cam to get, after asking a bazillion questions. He ports the crap out of the heads, cuts spring pockets, sets springs, bores block, blah, blah, blah.......

The thing in common with the 3 above? Machinist Butch Stetson. No one around here was close to his knowledge and ability.

Question for you-do you think Butch was competent enough to know if I could run a roller cam on the street, or not? "Read this sentence over a few dozen times....". You tell me. Did he screw me by not sleeving the lifters bores? Were the bores all jacked up? Did he do all of this work, knowing my lifters would just blow up?

Last question- Are you talking from past experience that YOU had-have you ever tried to run a mechanical roller on the street, and had it fail, or are you just reading me info out of a book?

So, in the future , if someone asks me about roller cams, I am going to tell the to read your post, my post, and make their own decision. Sounds good don't you think?

WOO HOO! Beer time!
My rebuttle is done..... Lol

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Hey, thanks for spending the time on the reply. I'm always open to discussing subjects, even if opinions differ. That's how I've learned many new things. That's one of the reasons I'm here. I hadn't replied yet, just so I could take my time and read your post....

Anyways, first I do have a request. Please do not assume how I feel about something, or why I do something. Just ask me. This comment was border line smart ass, and I did not appreciate it....

I have never said why I prefer rollers. In over 30 years of building a lot of race, and stock OE engines, I have NEVER lost a lobe. Not once. I have even used a buddies 5 year old cam, out of his 12 second car- and tossed it in one of my motors with new lifters. Those lobes are still good, and the motor is sitting on my garage floor right now. I've just been lucky I guess. So, moving on...

Everyone here has the choice to build their rig how they see fit. I've done the 4x4 stuff. I gave it up because I kept breaking stuff. 82 K20. So yeah, been doing the " hot rod" thing. While a lot here are beefing up parts, my crewcab is hitting a diet. Back-half, Phantom wheels in the back.... This is what I'm aiming for....

And I'll drive it on the street. You bet. People have different opinions on what a daily driver is, and what they can tolerate.

Well, propane? No. Roller cam, or not, I have no desire to run propane. Maybe it will make a difference to someone else-that's for them to decide.

The service every 3,000 miles? Not me. I will be in every 1,000 miles (if not sooner) to CHECK the valves. From my past experience, I've found the lash is only gonna move about .001" in that time. Check it more often so if you DO get a bigger lash, then you know you have issues. Something isn't right, and you catch it BEFORE things blow up on you. And really, how long does it take to run the valves when you have roller rockers on? Not long, especially if you have a bump switch to the starter. Still a daily driver??? It is for me.

I'm not quite sure why you mentioned the cam button. They aren't reliable? Exactly how so is that? I have never had any problems with them.

The cost? Yeah, its more expensive. To go faster, I have to lose weight (fiberglass, lighter parts, chop stuff off), or add power. IMHO, best bang for the buck-high flow heads. Best way to use that potential power sitting there-slam the valves open and closed as fast as possible. The room for power improvement here is huge, if your other components match.

Ok, now the easy part. The whole first half of the post was about the lifters, and needing a competent machinist. Cake.....

1. Dairy Farmers of Oregon sponsored a Top Fuel Funny car from 1990 to 2000. Owned by Wayne Parker and his kids Russ and Randy. They still run their auto electric repair shop a couple miles down the road from me. They raced in division 6. Randys wife races a Top Fuel Dragster, right now, and won the Northwest Nationals last August up in Washington.

2. "Bad Bob" has a 69 El Camino. Full race chassis, the works. Twenty years ago, twenty, his car ran 7s in the quarter mile. It also had lights, plates, and he drove it on the street. I myself saw this, and it was more than once. He"s been in magazines, but whatever.

3. 1998 Dougnsalem takes his STD bore 1970 high nickle LT block, and 292 angle plug heads in for work. You know, the ones you could only buy over the counter. Open checkbook- don't call me, just make it right. Machinist tells me what mechanical roller cam to get, after asking a bazillion questions. He ports the crap out of the heads, cuts spring pockets, sets springs, bores block, blah, blah, blah.......

The thing in common with the 3 above? Machinist Butch Stetson. No one around here was close to his knowledge and ability.

Question for you-do you think Butch was competent enough to know if I could run a roller cam on the street, or not? "Read this sentence over a few dozen times....". You tell me. Did he screw me by not sleeving the lifters bores? Were the bores all jacked up? Did he do all of this work, knowing my lifters would just blow up?

Last question- Are you talking from past experience that YOU had-have you ever tried to run a mechanical roller on the street, and had it fail, or are you just reading me info out of a book?

So, in the future , if someone asks me about roller cams, I am going to tell the to read your post, my post, and make their own decision. Sounds good don't you think? WOO HOO!
Is that your truck in the video?

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Is that your truck in the video?
10.90 for one of those tanks is pretty impressive. I don't get how he was allowed to have a passenger with him. Not allowed here. Must have been somewhere back east like PA or something....

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
10.90 for one of those tanks is pretty impressive. I don't get how he was allowed to have a passenger with him. Not allowed here. Must have been somewhere back east like PA or something....
I saw Bug Jam but that isn’t Maple Grove Raceway, which is 25 minutes from me. They used to have a Bug Jam now my friend is the host of June Bug there.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I saw Bug Jam but that isn’t Maple Grove Raceway, which is 25 minutes from me. They used to have a Bug Jam now my friend is the host of June Bug there.
Let me guess. You like AZN? Lol. I like Farmtruck. I just found out last night he started with a 400. Then a 502. Now 632 with 2 stages of nitrous.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Let me guess. You like AZN? Lol. I like Farmtruck. I just found out last night he started with a 400. Then a 502. Now 632 with 2 stages of nitrous.
I don’t watch it.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
So putting the opposite in a .060 396 is mocking the newer 454s? Lol
I wasn't mocking either engine... If anything, I was mocking the GM engineers for doing that to a great big 454.. Doing it to a 396 I can almost understand.. The torgue was needed for those yard barges of that day, so I can kinda understand the approach.. A well built "almost stock" 396 will smoke those old choked down 454s.. Hell, they did the same thing to the 350.. I bought a new Camaro in 1967.. A 250 horse 327.. It would walk right up behind a 250 horse 350 Camaro (I think the year was '69 - '70??) and snatch it's panties off..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I wasn't mocking either engine... If anything, I was mocking the GM engineers for doing that to a great big 454.. Doing it to a 396 I can almost understand.. The torgue was needed for those yard barges of that day, so I can kinda understand the approach.. A well built "almost stock" 396 will smoke those old choked down 454s.. Hell, they did the same thing to the 350.. I bought a new Camaro in 1967.. A 250 horse 327.. It would walk right up behind a 250 horse 350 Camaro (I think the year was '69 - '70??) and snatch it's panties off..
I had a 67 4door Impala with the same engine sum bitch ran for sure. They just upped the cube to make up for the emissions ********. I get that.

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Some of the "weaker" BBCs came from the factory with 5/16" pushrods... I never could understand that logic???? In your case, 3/8 molly would probably work, but for the difference in cost, why chance it.. The 1.7 rocker ratio puts a terrible strain on the push rods, and increased spring pressure just amplifies that strain..

Now I'm gonna throw a hand full of mud in your canteen.. BBCs by nature, are expensive to build.. There are safe areas where money can be saved, but relative to the overall cost, not much can be saved.. For much less money, and in your case, not much sacrifice in performance, why not build an SBC 383. It's the small block that acts like a big block. Most people build these engines using the shorter 400 rods because this allows the use of "over the counter" pistons.. I build mine using 350 rods which are 5.7 inches long.. The pistons cost slightly more but the increased torque is well worth the price.. Most of my race 383s have 6 inch rods, but that combination puts the wrist pin pretty close to the rings..

Mostly Because I have the 454, and I have most of what I need. I know it's gonna get spendy, trust me been keeping track. But Considering the motor, axles, tranny, t-case, and almost everything else I may need was essentially given to me, why go with another motor? And I mean, 454 :p

People often get so caught up in what could be better, chasing the best they can, that they often forget the best thing about cars and trucks. You can do whatever you want, and that's all I'm doing here. I'm not concerned with what could be done differently, or what other motors could be better. I'm just having fun. If I'm being honest there were plenty of other trucks out there to satisfy my needs/wants. Fords with that beautiful straight six or better yet a couple with 460s. Dodges with the glorious 5.9 or the tried and true 318. And Chevies for days with perfectly working 350s. Hell, there was even a t100 that honestly would've sufficed. But I chose this, because I wanted to. And so I'll put a ridiculous engine in it, because I want to. I'll go through what most would say is more effort than is necessary, because I want to. And I may do things that make little to no sense, just because god dammit I want to.

That said, I really am grateful for all the help/advice I've been given. It'll be fun to see how it plays out. I have faith that at the end of it all, regardless of what others think, I'll be happy. And really I thinks thats all that matters, and what more people should be focusing on. Horsepower, torque, mileage, displacement, money spent. Those are all secondary concerns to what should actually matter. Build something that makes you happy. Hell, my other truck is an 83 ford ranger with a 2.8 v6 in it. Probably less that 100hp by now, small in size. But I love, it makes me happy. Hell, it's my most valued possession. Because every time I get in it I just smile.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Mostly Because I have the 454, and I have most of what I need. I know it's gonna get spendy, trust me been keeping track. But Considering the motor, axles, tranny, t-case, and almost everything else I may need was essentially given to me, why go with another motor? And I mean, 454 :p

People often get so caught up in what could be better, chasing the best they can, that they often forget the best thing about cars and trucks. You can do whatever you want, and that's all I'm doing here. I'm not concerned with what could be done differently, or what other motors could be better. I'm just having fun. If I'm being honest there were plenty of other trucks out there to satisfy my needs/wants. Fords with that beautiful straight six or better yet a couple with 460s. Dodges with the glorious 5.9 or the tried and true 318. And Chevies for days with perfectly working 350s. Hell, there was even a t100 that honestly would've sufficed. But I chose this, because I wanted to. And so I'll put a ridiculous engine in it, because I want to. I'll go through what most would say is more effort than is necessary, because I want to. And I may do things that make little to no sense, just because god dammit I want to.

That said, I really am grateful for all the help/advice I've been given. It'll be fun to see how it plays out. I have faith that at the end of it all, regardless of what others think, I'll be happy. And really I thinks thats all that matters, and what more people should be focusing on. Horsepower, torque, mileage, displacement, money spent. Those are all secondary concerns to what should actually matter. Build something that makes you happy. Hell, my other truck is an 83 ford ranger with a 2.8 v6 in it. Probably less that 100hp by now, small in size. But I love, it makes me happy. Hell, it's my most valued possession. Because every time I get in it I just smile.
At the end of the day that’s all that matters regardless of what we say or suggest.:waytogo:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!

Anyways, first I do have a request. Please do not assume how I feel about something, or why I do something. Just ask me. This comment was border line smart ass, and I did not appreciate it.... (Now I am willing to admit that I may have just read it wrong too, if that is the case)

So, in the future , if someone asks me about roller cams, I am going to tell the to read your post, my post, and make their own decision. Sounds good don't you think?

WOO HOO! Beer time!

I also appreciate your comment(s) and I'm not even slightly trying to be smart ass.
And I don't assume YOU personally would do roller for fear of wiping a lobe. I have no assumptions of you but I do appreciate any and all of your comments on this forum.
Not taking a poke at you or anyone here... well except for those who write gibberish like this ( n gcwercfncegkhfaec).
And there was that guy with the console...
I have enough hot rod friends and a few rock crawler guys as well as my machinist who is a good friend and we hear this all the time around here, and I hear it online too. There is a lot of talk about going roller for fear of flat tappet wiping off lobes.
And many responses around "go roller and never wipe off a lobe"... which I'm pretty sure you would agree that's not really a good reason to go roller.
I'm speaking in general terms because generally, I hear and see the same stories. I don't know or will ever know everything but I honestly try to give advice where I think I can help. And I'm drawing from personal or well know/good friends experience.

And also know about another guy who ran solid rollers on the street and he swear by them... and eventually at them. This was recent like last November... and really he's a hellova engine builder and specializes with BBC.

My machinist bud brought up the issues he's seen with the cam button but I can't be sure enough to go into detail what happened.
I do remember he ultimately suggested a timing cover designed for cam button.
Anyway I forgot to mention the extra cost of the timing chain set for rollers.

To clarify my point, I'm talking about daily drivers and to me that means I have the expectation to run at the very least 150K miles on a daily driver without opening anything up. I want long term reliability.
I'm sure there are retro rollers out there with many many miles trouble free... my problem is I don't know anyone who can verify this.
But I certainly do know and know of guys with big drama in their roller street driven rigs.

Again thanks for you comments.

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
At the end of the day that’s all that matters regardless of what we say or suggest.:waytogo:

Again though, super grateful, and you guys have helped so much! Even if I don't agree or don't take advice, I will always hear it out. I do occasionally try not to be a dummy :)

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!

WOO HOO! Beer time!

Oh and BTW Doug, I just knew someone was going to ask why my stand is what it is... you just happened to drop a ? mark first.
So I'm just sharing my experience and point of view to whomever wants to hear it. Wasn't wagging my finger at you...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef