Hi guys :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
LOL! I do actually want to put a tach with a 6-6.5k limiter depending. Probs 6 just to be safe. Not really for me, but in case some twatter drives my rig and thinks it has 8k on the tack for a reason :p
You must be registered for see images attach
I have it limited to 5900

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
No no, and I appreciate the input, kinda the whole point on joining. Hearing that did bring to mind other options down the road such as a gear venders unit (Always wanted one). But I know max revs should never be taking as safe to run all the time, but it gives you a good idea of what you can get away. For instance assuming both my tanks are 16 gallons, and taking the worst of that mileage range, I still end up with around 190 miles of range. That said this thing wont be entirely stock, such as some cheap headers from summit and a true-dual exhaust, a mid-rise intake, a 750 q-jet, and possibly an aftermarket cam because god only knows what the hell kinda cam I was given. It's more about knowing that if I need or want to badly enough, I can haul ass down the road. But once again, it's really just the bench racing a bored guy waiting on other things to happen before he can tear into this puppy. I mean, realistically, an 84 k10 with 3/4 ton axles/springs and 31 inch tires, mixed with Montana's sub-par roads, terrible weather and wind, and downright unpredictability, I'm not sure I have the sheer balls to take this thing over 50.

But boy it's fun to drool and speculate :p Really, if I can actually pull this off and have it half-ass work, I'm good :) Again, thanks for the input though, I really am grateful for it! And you are 100% correct, which I'm most likely not even close xD

I have dreams of a gear vendors myself, or maybe a 4l80e. Secretly I want both for 8 forward gears and the ability to run a stupid deep rear and still cruise without a care, but that's a pricey dream.

I have a fairly similar setup myself, 800 quad, edelbrock performer, long tube headers, and a mild cam. Lotta fun, good burnouts even with my weenie 3.21 gears. Now if you have the carb that came with that 454 I'd bet it's 800 cfm, and that would leave a bit more room on the table if you decide to push it later on.

Oh and it'll definitely go that fast. I've taken my truck up to 110-120ish when it had 3.73s, felt just fine to me. Honestly I have a hard time staying under 85 on the freeway, hence my gear swap.

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have dreams of a gear vendors myself, or maybe a 4l80e. Secretly I want both for 8 forward gears and the ability to run a stupid deep rear and still cruise without a care, but that's a pricey dream.

I have a fairly similar setup myself, 800 quad, edelbrock performer, long tube headers, and a mild cam. Lotta fun, good burnouts even with my weenie 3.21 gears. Now if you have the carb that came with that 454 I'd bet it's 800 cfm, and that would leave a bit more room on the table if you decide to push it later on.

Oh and it'll definitely go that fast. I've taken my truck up to 110-120ish when it had 3.73s, felt just fine to me. Honestly I have a hard time staying under 85 on the freeway, hence my gear swap.

Unfortunately the carb was robbed long ago. After spending a bit of time researching, general opinion was a q-jet anywhere 700-800 cfm would be ideal, most even said that a stock 454 really only needs 700ish, and any more is just comfort zone. I found a decent one at summit racing for a little under 400. It's a chunk of change, especially to a fella who's never lived above the poverty line, but imho it seems worth it. Finding any comparable carb second hand and rebuilding it myself would probably run around the same price, and would lack the sheer willpower of the good ol' Quad. I wish I knew wtf this cam they gave me was though lol.

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Also, would anyone happen to have any links to a decent mid-rise intake that's also affordable? I know, pipe dream.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Unfortunately the carb was robbed long ago. After spending a bit of time researching, general opinion was a q-jet anywhere 700-800 cfm would be ideal, most even said that a stock 454 really only needs 700ish, and any more is just comfort zone. I found a decent one at summit racing for a little under 400. It's a chunk of change, especially to a fella who's never lived above the poverty line, but imho it seems worth it. Finding any comparable carb second hand and rebuilding it myself would probably run around the same price, and would lack the sheer willpower of the good ol' Quad. I wish I knew wtf this cam they gave me was though lol.
An old fart from the state of Texas says :welcome: Check the end of the cam for numbers.. Post those numbers and maybe we can help you figure out the cam...

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
An old fart from the state of Texas says :welcome: Check the end of the cam for numbers.. Post those numbers and maybe we can help you figure out the cam...

I definitely will, but I've heard the numbers off them can often be useless in determining what cam it is. Regardless, I'd love the help! What a wonderful welcome I've received here :)

Reactions: WFO

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Numbers are in boys! Any help is appreciated!
Even got a pic for ya:

You must be registered for see images attach

S775

and

CS669 (Was hard to read as you can see but I played with my light and pretty sure this is right)

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I definitely will, but I've heard the numbers off them can often be useless in determining what cam it is. Regardless, I'd love the help! What a wonderful welcome I've received here :)
I'm not talking about casting numbers, I'm talking about I.D. numbers stamped in the metal.. Cam manufacturers, even the OEMs have been stamping reliable markings on their cams since almost the beginning.. I recently bought a 454 BBC.. The numbers on the front end of the cam indicated it to be Lunati,so I contacted them to verify.. They not only told me the precise cam I had, they sent me a "data card" for it.. At no charge, I might add..

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm not talking about casting numbers, I'm talking about I.D. numbers stamped in the metal.. Cam manufacturers, even the OEMs have been stamping reliable markings on their cams since almost the beginning.. I recently bought a 454 BBC.. The numbers on the front end of the cam indicated it to be Lunati,so I contacted them to verify.. They not only told me the precise cam I had, they sent me a "data card" for it.. At no charge, I might add..

So wait, not the numbers I gave you one post up?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1