Hi guys :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Now with pics!

You must be registered for see images attach

Side note, figured out this truck originally came with a 305, so until i tear it apart I'll assume it was never swapped out for a 350. Also, the damn thing is Canadian. Does that matter in any significant way? No. Does it break my heart anyways? Yeah :(

Also does anyone happen to know which tranny the MM4 specifies? Or is that just a generic 4 speed code? Never got the thing to drive on its own power and it's currently parking on diesel soak ice/snow so I really don't wanna go crawling through it to find out.

Last edited:

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
wheres the burbo?
About ten miles out at a friends place. There's kind of a story to that thing to. Basically it's gonna end up with no body just an exo-cage, the 1/2 axles off my truck, and a 318. My end of the bargain is to rebuild the 318, put my axles under it, and find a tranny that will work. In exchange I got the 454 which is already disassembled and in my possession, the tranny/t-case, the 3/4 ton axles, and anything else I may need. All said, the Burb will be kinda badass in it's own right.

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Apparantly mm4 is the code for a Muncie 4-speed, so my truck in theory also has an sm465. Now, from what i gather the sm465 in the earlier years has a weaker 10 spline shaft, whereas the later models were beefed up to a longer, heavier 32 spline shaft. Any way to make that work with the old style np205? Idk even what t-case i have, but i doubt it's as rugged as the np205 is rumored to be. But I've also read rumors of a unicorn sm465/np205 that both have 32 spline shafts but it's not confirmed to exist to my knowledge. Huh, that'd be special wouldn't it lol

Also, pics of engine/parts for proof. And yes, this is so not how to store/disassemble things but this is how i received them :/

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It’s a big block how could you not be?

True dat. I honestly almost ended up with an f250 that had 460 with a blown head gasket. Truthfully it was about the same price, and a lot less work. And I mean while I don't have any true brand loyalty, I do like the ford I have. But I dunno, this just fell together and seemed like more fun. I'd rather do a 460 shop truck someday anyways.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Hey, more Montana is good. I'm in Butte for school atm myself.

3700 rpm is a hell of alott for cruising. The 6k isn't intended for cruising rpms, that's more like a shift point if you're power shifting. In general any max rpm you read about is for brief periods just before you grab another gear. 2500 would be much better for cruising, longer lasting and better mpg. 3700 you're gonna be getting maybe 6-8 mpg. I swapped from 3.73 to 3.21 since I spend most my time on the freeway.

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey, more Montana is good. I'm in Butte for school atm myself.

3700 rpm is a hell of alott for cruising. The 6k isn't intended for cruising rpms, that's more like a shift point if you're power shifting. In general any max rpm you read about is for brief periods just before you grab another gear. 2500 would be much better for cruising, longer lasting and better mpg. 3700 you're gonna be getting maybe 6-8 mpg. I swapped from 3.73 to 3.21 since I spend most my time on the freeway.

OH god cruising at 6k would just be brutal. I know it's not ideal, and I knew the mpg would tank. But this thing won't be primarily on the highway. More in town doing brute work, and ******* off into the hills for fun. It was more or less whether it was viable should the need arise. I may go to taller gears at some point, but the 4.11s are an excellent starting point. And provided my work on the motor is good (Haven't had one die yet due to me), it should take the abuse. 4.11s are kinda the best all around gear for what I need, such as towing modest loads, brute forcing **** where I need it, plowing, daily(ish) driving, playing, and other odds and ends. Plus they have that huge bonus of being already in the axle which helps my poor ass xD

Last edited:

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
OH god cruising at 6k would just be brutal. I know it's not ideal, and I knew the mpg would tank. But this thing won't be primarily on the highway. More in town doing brute work, and ******* off into the hills for fun. It was more or less whether it was viable should the need arise. I may go to taller gears at some point, but the 4.11s are an excellent starting point. And provided my work on the motor is good (Haven't had one die yet due to me), it should take the abuse. 4.11s are kinda the best all around gear for what I need, such as towing modest loads, brute forcing **** where I need it, plowing, daily(ish) driving, playing, and other odds and ends. Plus they have that huge bonus of being already in the axle which helps my poor ass xD

Then you'll be plenty fine, just wanted to make sure you weren't expecting a highway cruiser with that combo. 4.11 would be great for work and hauling.

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Then you'll be plenty fine, just wanted to make sure you weren't expecting a highway cruiser with that combo. 4.11 would be great for work and hauling.

No no, and I appreciate the input, kinda the whole point on joining. Hearing that did bring to mind other options down the road such as a gear venders unit (Always wanted one). But I know max revs should never be taking as safe to run all the time, but it gives you a good idea of what you can get away. For instance assuming both my tanks are 16 gallons, and taking the worst of that mileage range, I still end up with around 190 miles of range. That said this thing wont be entirely stock, such as some cheap headers from summit and a true-dual exhaust, a mid-rise intake, a 750 q-jet, and possibly an aftermarket cam because god only knows what the hell kinda cam I was given. It's more about knowing that if I need or want to badly enough, I can haul ass down the road. But once again, it's really just the bench racing a bored guy waiting on other things to happen before he can tear into this puppy. I mean, realistically, an 84 k10 with 3/4 ton axles/springs and 31 inch tires, mixed with Montana's sub-par roads, terrible weather and wind, and downright unpredictability, I'm not sure I have the sheer balls to take this thing over 50.

But boy it's fun to drool and speculate :p Really, if I can actually pull this off and have it half-ass work, I'm good :) Again, thanks for the input though, I really am grateful for it! And you are 100% correct, which I'm most likely not even close xD

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Says who? Lol that’s what rev limiters are for.:D

LOL! I do actually want to put a tach with a 6-6.5k limiter depending. Probs 6 just to be safe. Not really for me, but in case some twatter drives my rig and thinks it has 8k on the tack for a reason :p