guys im going to have to get a S10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
with gas reaching close to 3.15 a gallon here im going to have to down grade for a S10 4cyl 5spd as it is costing me a lot of money just to keep my truck on the road.
the S10 will help me with my bills also since i would be saving gas because in this economy trying to keep my truck fueled, bills payed and food.

I'm going to need to save money as they don't give me a lot on my unemployment check 749.32 a month :whymewhyme:
i don't like drawing it but i have no choice as there are no jobs. there are three factories that either went idle or shut down mostly die cast, brake parts, chroming, and auto parts manufacturing.

i just feel bad every time i get a check in the mail because i think i can draw this amount but i can't work for it and four months ago i was working die cast pulling aluminum Fomoco transmission cases off of a abrasive blaster making 14.00 an hour pulling 12 hour shifts 5 days a week.

sorry for this long read but i feel bad about everything
and tomorrow i got to pick up my check.
but i got to realize i'm going to over come all of this.

- jake

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do! I had to get something easy on gas too, I never could afford to use my Chevy as my daily driver. I've always had some other form of transportation, s-10 pickups, Blazers, Toyota trucks and cars. I gotta say Toyotas are my favorite though. The sheetmetal in the S-10s just cant stand up to the salty winter roads we're used to driving in. Dont forget to check your state's State Job listings, sometimes you can find something that fits you perfect, and when you figure in all the benefits etc that go in with a state job, it's a good one to have. Good luck and hope 2011 turns around for you, me and everyone else looking for a break!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I'm sure 2011 will be better for you.

Don't forge to post up pics of the new ride once you get it:)

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I totally understand how that goes..........Almost 4 yrs ago, I had a job paying me $17.23hr...worked with the company for 10 1/2 yrs...planned on retiring there..Then one day, they came up and said that they were shutting the doors in 6 months.....
Ended up having to take a job making wwwaaayyy less money...We tried to hold on, and ended up struggling for the next 3 yrs. Finally realized that our vehicles would have to go, in order for us to be able to keep our house. I sold my SS, and my wife sold her '06 Tribute that we bought off the showroom floor..It was a total wake-up call for both of us....

As you said, you will overcome this.............We have slowly turned things around (not out of the woods yet), but I feel that this was a good thing in some ways due to the fact that it made us more aware of what we were actually spending our money on...
Hold in there...it does get better. Unfortunately, it just takes time. And as far as an S-10 goes, that's still in the GM family so it won't be bad....besides, when things turn around for you, it will make a good candidate for a V8 swap.......:evillol:

JB1

Reaction score
move to Houston, gas is 2.85/gal and we have plenty of work. I got layed off last Feb, got a better job making more in April and we have alot of openings.

what do you do?

Anyway, theres nothing wrong with S10 trucks, sorry to hear about your situation

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Damn, I hate TX, and HOston even worse yet. But I might have to go there for awhile anyway. Gas is only $2.79 here, or $2.84 for no ethanol, but you won't get a $17 hr job here. Those jobs are gone.

Do what you gotta do. Thanks to George Bush and ***** Cheney, I had to swallow my pride and trade in my 2005 Xcab truck for a Corolla in 07. I was hooked up in the truck $6K but it was still a wise move because the upside was swallowed up in gas and insurance savings. First time in my life I EVER bought or owned a foreign car. I just couldn't do it at first, but when I seen the VIN # started with a 1, I knew the car was assembeld in USA, and at least employed Americans and thats the only reason I allowed my concious to live with myself. But 19.5 mpg at best in the truck, with more realistic average of 15, and the Corolla with best of 42.5 and realistic average of 38 mpg I had to do it. Best move I ever made. And that is when I got back into squarebodies, cuz they are cheap cheap cheap to acquire and find parts for. So gave up the new truck for new ricer and kept it stock, then got me old squares to play with and hotrod around in when I could afford to. Other medical issues went wrong and I couldn't keep the Rolla either, so now I get 9 - 13mpg in my DD 454 square, but I don't have to go far. If I do, I rent or borrow an econo compact and fuel savings pays for the rental fee, or change mom's oil and rotate her tires for her and use her car for FREE, like for the 380 mile drive to pick up and drop off my son.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Van gets 35 MPGs...We don't drive far enough to worry about gas mileage to be honest. I haven't taken a vacation in 6 years and My wife hasn't been out of Austin in 27 years.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Van gets 35 MPGs...We don't drive far enough to worry about gas mileage to be honest. I haven't taken a vacation in 6 years and My wife hasn't been out of Austin in 27 years.

That is crazy to me! I can't imagine being stuck in Kansas City for 27 years and never leaving. I love taking road trips and going to see places that either I don't see very often or have never seen. I would go stir crazy if I had never left an area for that long!!

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
ours changes daily, last week it was $3.09 I think or .05 a gallon for reg. unleaded, then tues. it was $3.25 for the same, then wed. it was back to the original price and still is.

How many vehicles you got? I thought you had one for sale and needed cash then got a 78 or something and was going to or did buy another?

LOl I know what you mean on the cash, I live on less, pay all utilities and rent, plus gas and such. Wife has a 2k monte carlo and it's gas mileage aint very good. We go thru at least $30-60 a month in gas, usually $60. That's not going any further then 50 miles or so from home.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd be tickled pink to only pay $60 a month in gas. More like $100-$140 depending on how much I travel or if I go visit my dad. And that's just me, no spouse.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Between my wife and I we burn through about 300 a month and that's with me DDing a grand prix. We only drive the burb maybe 350 miles per month which equals one tank. The rest is th GP.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I can't fathom $60 a month. It cost me $50 to fill one tank, $100 for 2 and if lucky, both tanks full will last me 12-14 days.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Just my little 17 gal tank in the GP costs 40+ dollars to fill about every 5 days. My gas bill is going to sky rocket once I get rid of the car and start DDing a crew cab. I may just hang on to the GP just for driving to work....

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
her car usually gets down to around 1/4 tank or so, and takes $28-30 to fill it up and has to be done twice a month. neither of us is working, just runs to the store and doctors since she's over 4 months pregnant now. We don't drive the truck, my dad has it, he only uses about $20 a month in it, he only goes to the store and to doctors too. he takes allergy shots once a week, and doesn't really go anywheres else. His 84 he was going thru 20 a week or more in gas. To me it's bad, her car used to run all month on $30 and we could go every weekend to her parent's which live about 40 miles or so from us. it needs a tune up and brake job.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I miss the Rolla. $32-$34 to fill it up and it lasted me about 10 days, and I drove the wheels off that car. It had plenty of pep too being a 5speed. I am wishing I didn't get rid of it, and maybe getting another used one soon. It will pay for itself in short order in the gas savings. But dang it, it hurts the pride right in the gut to have to drive rice !!! They are made both in Japan and USA, so I'll make sure the one I get has a VIN that starts with #1 instead of J. Even though the profits go back overseas, if it employs Americans, I might be able to sleep at night and swallow the pride. Why can't the American companies come up with something as comparable? And NO, Aveo is a POS and tiny ass death trap. Doesn't even compare to a Rolla.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04