Trying to get fuel to my engine, a novice's saga...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7
I personally have not used the Quadrajet interior filter for the reason mentioned earlier as Hot Wheels Burban said....
"Also, check the fuel filter (careful with the one in the carburetor inlet line, because it's VERY easy to strip those threads) (not one of GM's finer designs!)."

If you place an in-line filter it will be easier to change every time.

If you leave the internal filter and add an in-line you might forget you have an internal filter that will later clog up.

If you add an in-line filter and leave the internal filter there is more restriction on your line to start off and as they get clogged up there will be even more restriction added especially when you ask your truck for more fuel on a pedal to the floor condition.

I personally ditched the internal filter since my first car a 74 Nova back in 1982.
Why? Because I ruined the fine threads.
Never, ever have I used them again and never ever needed them again.

You can also get an exterior in-line check valve if you wish that way you do not mess with those very fine threads on that Quadrajet.

This is some good reading too.

Just my humble opinion.

Best wishes to all of you and all of your loved ones always.

Dryriver1

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I'm still back at eliminate the switching unit. Then again, blowing air through it forces the line back open allowing flow, no? I think you may suffer a collapsed fuel line, evidenced by the vacuum found when he engine is running which sucks the line back to closed. You blow air through it forcing the collapsed section to open again. No need to keep doing that.

My first thoughts involved compressed air manipulating the selector valve. I've never had my hands on one so cant say for certain. I think the engine vacuum sucks a portion of fuel line closed somewhere. Shouldn't be hard to find. There are small sections throughout. It may be extra squishy to the touch and rubber sections of fuel line are cheap an easy to replace. Prolly gonna have a sheen to it and may even look strange.

I am proud and happy to return to placing the blame on Ethanol sitting in the system for too long. Non car guys arent afraid of ethanol and are ignorant to the ramifications on a 35,45 year old fuel system.
Problems like this with symptoms like this should start there . At ethanol rotting fuel systems.

:imo: Everyone should be scared to subside corn crops which DIRECTLY INCREASES the cost of the food on your plate.
Duh.

Flipping duh....That's dumb.

Unless you farm corn of course.

If you don't buy it they will stop selling it subsidies or no subsidies .

You must be registered for see images attach

Hope this helps!

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7
@Dryriver1 our opinions may not be the same,but you sure have an awesome ending on your posts,thank you.
Hello Ricko1966! I really appreciate your comment!

I really mean it every time I type it for everyone.

We are ALL here to learn from each other, and build up each other from our exchange of experiences, idea, successes, and even our failures.

Again, I really appreciate your comments and suggestions as we all never stop learning.

Be well and stay safe out there.

Best wishes to you and all of your loved ones always!

Robert
Dryriver1

dkraven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
c25 Sierra Grande
Engine Size

Fired right up and I drove it around the block back to my driveway. So now just need to clean out the fuel line back to the tank, which is new. I have vinyl line to replace the old rubber and I'm going to bypass the switch for now and see if I can everything running consistently. I do understand that the passenger side tank is supposed to be the main, but I replaced the driverside before I knew that so I'll just go with it. Get the basics running first and then complicate from there.

Thanks so much for all the help. I'll post and update once I replace the fuel hoses.

As a side note, scope out that little radiator shoved in the front. I have no idea why it's there, the previous owner thought it was added to cool the transmission? That sounds made up but who knows. I have yet to follow the hoses to see exactly where it goes.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Good job Junior.
Yep that "little radiator" is most likely a transmission fluid cooler. It should be mounted to the radiator - usually with padded zip ties , not simply laying there. You would HATE to poke a hole in that deal - they aren't strong at all it's made from aluminum. You also cannot allow it to bounce around and poke a hole in your radiator. I bet you can buy a new "Transmission cooler mounting kit".

You're gonna want to look into that without question because you're on borrowed time right now. Hope this helps!

dkraven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
c25 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Good job Junior.
Yep that "little radiator" is most likely a transmission fluid cooler. It should be mounted to the radiator - usually with padded zip ties , not simply laying there. You would HATE to poke a hole in that deal - they aren't strong at all it's made from aluminum. You also cannot allow it to bounce around and poke a hole in your radiator. I bet you can buy a new "Transmission cooler mounting kit".

You're gonna want to look into that without question because you're on borrowed time right now. Hope this helps!

Great. That'll do the job nicely. And yeah, I don't need to accumulate more things to fix.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
When you buy fuel line, consider upgrading to EFI rated line, because it holds up much better to modern fuel with ethanol.

Line that meets SAE J30R7 standard is a more flexible general purpose fuel and emissions hose, while SAE J30R9 is for high pressure fuel injection systems. J30R7 is expensive by the foot at the parts store, but you can buy it in various lengths from Amazon or on eBay. It will hold up much better and not degrade inside or crack outside.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

MrHorsepowerLSx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K35
Engine Size
Okay quadrajets fixed the leaky plug wells like 1969 you don't want to ditch the original fuel filter because it has a check valve that keeps the fuel from draining back. Have you tried running with a fuel line to alternate tank yet? I have a suspicion and this will confirm or eliminate it.
Didn’t know that GM had a “fix” for them. I know there are 2 different well plug sizes. My 86 still had the Q-jet and had a leaking plug well. While I had it removed I sealed them up and haven’t had an issue with the carb since I swapped it onto another project.

dkraven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
c25 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Replaced vinyl fuel line and bypassed the tank switch solenoid, blew out the fuel line while it wasn’t hooked up to anything, and the truck fired up faster than my 07 Mazda! Thanks all for the help and support. Now on to the next problem, which I’ll start in a new thread.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Replaced vinyl fuel line and bypassed the tank switch solenoid, blew out the fuel line while it wasn’t hooked up to anything, and the truck fired up faster than my 07 Mazda! Thanks all for the help and support. Now on to the next problem, which I’ll start in a new thread.

I'd put my money on the tank switch solenoid being the culprit... Mine was going bad slowly for years, it was pulling fuel from both tanks the selected tank would produce most of the gas but the other tank would slowly go down too. If either tank got ran dry the fuel lines would lose their prime & it was a bear to get it started again. I think the tiny bit of air sucking in the empty tank prevented the fuel pump from being able to vacuum the fuel from the full tank. Took a while to figure it out but so long as there was always some gas in both tanks there were no problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507