Getting to know a gifted 2006 Hummer H3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
ok, i've been gifted a 2006 hummer h3.

the plan is to get it road worthy for the kids still at home to drive (to a job hopefully).

let me start by saying i appreciate all the help i've received with my square.
fear not, 'skidmark' aka 'the flying turd' is not leaving the building. it has historic vehicle plates and is not going anywhere.

i know this is a squarebody forum but i can't handle more than one forum ;)
i basically gave up cast boolits forum to keep up here.

so any help is appreciated but not expected/demanded.

2006 hummer h3 with UNKNOWN history for the most part. my wife's sister's husband shared as much as he knew.
it appears to have a luxury and an adventure 'package' or upgrade. leather seats as well as bigger tires/xtra transfer case buttons.

feel free to comment on any of the following or anything in general.

1. general tips and tricks of the 2006 h3 (i understand 2006 was the worst year ever for h3)

2. the borg/warner 4494 (i assume with the xtra buttons) does NOT respond to the dash buttons.
i hear NO motor noise from the transfer case area. the serv 4wd is lit on dash. button lights blink but never 'switch over'
ALSO, is the right hand button for locking or UNLOCKING the rear differential (not the traction control button)

3. the ignition (trying to start the car) is flaky. so most likely some component of the passlock system BUT; i can twist the key crank to run quickly over and over and it will complete the crank cycle after 3 or 4 failed cranks and drive away.

4. brother in law stated a mechanic diagnosed an exhaust leak at the manifold. tips on actually diagnosing this? i think all ticking noises are valve train and don't have a 'tuned ear' to tell the difference.

5. the transmission is a 4l60e i guess? reading threads here has given me the impression that the 60 is not so hot and people confuse the 6 with an 8 sometimes :)

6. with 260K miles and no knowledge of engine/transmission originality, what would YOU do to try to get few more miles out of this package.

that should be enough for now, thanks all.
'monkey

You must be registered for see images attach

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
tires, seats

think this uncovered fuse block might adversely effect operations?
;)

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Fix the known issues,do maintenance, change the fluids. Drive it find the things you didn't know were wrong and fix those. Don't try planning for things that might break. Like the 4l60 it's made it this long,take care of it and if it fails cross that bridge then. You might preemptively change all kinds of things and lose a head gasket the next month. You can't guess what's going to break.

chevytech87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
yes
air compressor and nylon bristle brush has it looking better but gotta find a lid for it.
:)
I’d pop that thing off and make sure there’s no corrosion underneath at your harness connectors if you haven’t already. Easier to clean up and fix now before it something gets cooked. Highly recommend a new (or clean junkyard piece) fuse block. There are PCB relays and such that are non-serviceable and may very well be damaged. Lots of fuse block gremlins on these, especially if they look like that. As for the exhaust leak, give her the old exhaust manifold bolt inspection. If you’re missing a head or two, you may have an exhaust leak. Common high mileage LS things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod