George's 2003 Sub "lucky7"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I know that piston slap is pretty common with them and usually lasts a little bit upon cold start up. Are you sure it's not that?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I know that piston slap is pretty common with them and usually lasts a little bit upon cold start up. Are you sure it's not that?

It could be but it sure sounds like a lifter tick. I will have to listen a little closer. It's interesting it would be so pronounced in the exhaust sound. The truck doesn't have a noticable miss like one you can feel while driving or otherwise. It just sounds weird.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I am about ready to change this trucks name to Unlucky seven! Fuckn fobs don't work all of a sudden. Both have new batteries. Everything else seems to work fine. There is a TSB about the control module in the passenger door that speaks specifically about it. So If I want that to work again I suppose it's a trip to the dealer. Ugh! I hate this thing!

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
Did you try to reprogram them? Its really easy on those years

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Did you try to reprogram them? Its really easy on those years

Yeah, no luck with that. I believe it's gonna need a reprogram of the door module. I am just surprised it has made it to 12 years old without it being done. I guess it would be a good time to have the ecm reprogrammed to match the vin of the truck since it is showing a vin for an 04 silverado. It must have been replaced at one time over the years.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Kindof thinking about ditching this thing for a different Burb.

Found this For sale near me.
http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/5371425873.html
Not sure if it's still there or if it needs anything done to it. I still think I would need to fix the keyless entry on the black one. I know I am almost where I need to be with the black one but it still needs body work too. I am over $6000.00 into it and would loose money on the deal but I am kindof pissed at it right now.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Kindof thinking about ditching this thing for a different Burb.

Found this For sale near me.
http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/5371425873.html
Not sure if it's still there or if it needs anything done to it. I still think I would need to fix the keyless entry on the black one. I know I am almost where I need to be with the black one but it still needs body work too. I am over $6000.00 into it and would loose money on the deal but I am kindof pissed at it right now.

That's a nice GMT400...but maybe cool down for a few days, think it over. I totally see where you're coming from, but it's best to be in a calm state of mind.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
That's a nice GMT400...but maybe cool down for a few days, think it over. I totally see where you're coming from, but it's best to be in a calm state of mind.

Thanks for the input! The wife says no to more truck shopping and had a good point that I always find problems and worn parts others don't notice so it will probably need a bunch of work too. Most likely will just be trading one set of problems for another in this case. Guess I will get this programming issue addressed and wait for the next issue to arise. I can't wait to be working on my square instead. A few more weeks before that starts. It decided to go ahead and get cold here. Brrrr!

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thanks for the input! The wife says no to more truck shopping and had a good point that I always find problems and worn parts others don't notice so it will probably need a bunch of work too. Most likely will just be trading one set of problems for another in this case. Guess I will get this programming issue addressed and wait for the next issue to arise. I can't wait to be working on my square instead. A few more weeks before that starts. It decided to go ahead and get cold here. Brrrr!

Good advice from the wife! I hear they occasionally have some useful input. lol Me too! Mine's been sitting in the garage for awhile with parts ready to be installed.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Yeah, she does have a good point. That's the problem with used cars is they're always SOMETHING that needs fixed with them. Just some have more "somethings" that need fixed than others :)

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Yeah, she does have a good point. That's the problem with used cars is they're always SOMETHING that needs fixed with them. Just some have more "somethings" that need fixed than others :)

Good advice indeed. And isn't that the truth about the "Somethings"...OY!! On my '81 it isn't too bad, but if I really wanted to get picky I could cost myself a lot of money repairing/replacing stuff that may or may not need to be. Right now it just needs all of the fuel hoses replaced. My '65 on the other hand is a different story. Yes it is much older and most everything was factory-installed, so of course it will be worn out, but it amazes me that the PO could drive it in such poor condition and think everything was just fine. Luckily it's much better now, but more updates will be done very soon to make it a very reliable unit.

So keep at it, you're almost there, YOU CAN DO IT!!! :cheers:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I had to drive my square today because the drivers side window regulator in the suburban decided to poop out with the window half way up. It's freaking cold out and going 60 mph with a window open is not high on my list of enjoyable. Good thing my square is the most reliable vehicle we have! It was 3 degrees out and it hasn't been run for two weeks but it fired right up! Good ol truck!!!!

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Glad to hear it fired up right away. Should run mine for a minute...anyways, my sister's TB did the same thing a month ago. What a PITA....damn windows. Makes you wish they were cranks.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I wish I could change the name of this thread to "The Lemon"

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
So after my keyless entry stopped working I decided it was time to head for the dealership. Had them fix that issue and reprogram the ECM for the correct year make and model and put the correct VIN in it too. This thing must have had a tune of some sort because it runs completely different now. The popping exhaust note is greatly reduced, the 1-2 shift is not as firm as it was and the engine doesn't seem to be as spunky unless I really put my foot in it. All in all I am ok with that as it is supposed to be a backup ride for the wife too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scawdrey