George's 2003 Sub "lucky7"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That came out nice..

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
wow!! nice transformation

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I would like to be able to change the transmission shift points on this truck. Primarily the down shift points. It seems I have to push the throttle quite a ways before it will down shift. When it does it scares the crap out of my wife and I get accused of "stomping" on the gas. I just think it should down shift sooner. Any options? I see discussion on WOT up shift but not on part throttle down shift.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I would like to be able to change the transmission shift points on this truck. Primarily the down shift points. It seems I have to push the throttle quite a ways before it will down shift. When it does it scares the crap out of my wife and I get accused of "stomping" on the gas. I just think it should down shift sooner. Any options? I see discussion on WOT up shift but not on part throttle down shift.

HPTuners isn't cheap, but it lets you play with all of that. You could pay someone to tune it, but transmission settings are very subjective, you'd probably end up going back and forth a bunch. I've been playing with mine for quite a bit to get it "just right" on my LS swap. My "just right", might be complete crap to someone else, though.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
You could hit up Black Bear :shrug: Tell Justin what you want and how you want it to shift and I'm sure he'd work with you. OR learn EFILive on your own and mess with it. OR use @foamypirate's suggestions. OR...........i got nuttin left

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Or get a f#$kn square burb!:party36:
But......Wife blocked for now.:whymewhyme:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have bought hp tuners a while ago and it come in useful a number of times even to just scan for codes. It should be able to achieve what you want.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
I'm not sure when GM started this, but at least with my 4L65, I know that the PCM will learn your driving style and tune shift points to it. Drive by wire does feel funny, I've read in my owner's manual to accelerate over 35MPH it says floor it, under 35 it asks for half throttle. GM tunes are very conservative.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I'm not sure when GM started this, but at least with my 4L65, I know that the PCM will learn your driving style and tune shift points to it. Drive by wire does feel funny, I've read in my owner's manual to accelerate over 35MPH it says floor it, under 35 it asks for half throttle. GM tunes are very conservative.

This makes sense. My main issue is when I get into that 35-45 mph range while trying to merge into 80 mph traffic. I don't want to floor it but it takes well over 50% throttle and then goes down two gears. This is one area where our envoy out drives this truck. I can get it to unlock the TC or downshift at will. I know exactly where the shift points are. No surprises!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
We had the same issue with out 07 burb as you have with your Denali until j had it tuned. Now we have zero lag and no longer have the issue of having to almost floor it then have it downshift two gears. So much better to drive post-tune

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Anybody have any thoughts on this?
http://m.autoanything.com/performance-chips/diablosport-intune-i2-tuner
I read a bunch of reviews and it seems ok. A guy at work has one for his chevy and I plan to talk with him about how he likes it.
I believe it will also work on our Envoy.
I am also talking with BlackBear but I kindof like the option to putz and change things at will.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Well, the saga continues. I was looking into the i2 programmer more and found a local shop that distributes them. It turns out according to them the ability to adjust the shift points is limited to WOT and I really want to deal with my part throttle downshift. They are able to do a ride along session to adjust the tcm program for $300. I am still considering Black Bear but I don't like the idea of shipping modules back and forth.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
If I only had time to screw around with HP tuner! The way I see it I have four options
1. Go with Black Bear. I know they are good but I don't much like the shipping back and forth and the flash pac is a bit pricy
:sorry:
2. Do a ride along tune with the local shop and make the adjustments needed.

3.Go with HP Tuner and deal with the learning curve. I can't afford to screw it up and I don't have gobs of time.
:Insane:
4. Live with the truck the way it is and spend that cash on other needed stuff.:bawl:

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
If the local shop has a good rep I'd go that route personally

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
If the local shop has a good rep I'd go that route personally

Leaning that way. I just wish they would also log some data and make some adjustments to the tune for me. The guy said he woukdn't feel comfortable running it on the dyno because of the mileage. It has just over 200,000 on it and he is concerned about the trans being damaged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes