George's 2003 Sub "lucky7"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Keyless entry

So about a year ago my remote key-less entry quit working. I found the batteries to both be weak in the remotes so I replaced them both and operation resumed. Shortly after this one of the remotes stopped functioning but I didn't have a spare battery at the time so I switched to the other and continued on with life. Not long after this the second remote quit as well. Another battery check showed sufficient voltage so I attempted to reprogram the remotes and was successful only to have it act up a week later. At this point since I needed to have the VIN number in the PCM flashed to match the correct year and model truck I took it into the stealership and requested they also diagnose the RKE issue. I had found a technical service bulletin outlining this issue and the need to re-flash the BCM located din the passenger door. Well apparently the BCM woke up and they were able to program both remotes successfully without needing to flash the BCM. I continued to have issues with the battery going dead in one of my remotes so I ordered a new GM remote from Rockauto, programmed it and lived happily ever after until I had to do some service to the truck last week which included disconnecting the battery. Well now the BCM seems to have gone to sleep again and the truck doesn't respond to either remote. I returned to the dealership and tested the remotes. Both tested good so I asked again about the TSB for the RKE issue. Of course they won't plug it in and flash the damn thing for free and figured it would cost me $120 to $130 to do it. This is assuming the BCM is still good. A few calls to other dealerships were met with the same response. So long story short I ordered a replacement passenger door window switch/BCM module from RockAuto for $124 and will cross my fingers hoping it fixes the issue.
So frustrating! :lazer:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I ordered a pre programmed window switch and body control assembly and
Installed it tonight. No luck! The truck still wont respond to the remotes. I can get it to go into programming mode but it will not respond to either of my two remotes.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Me to my truck.....
"Have I told you lately that I hate you?"
I think this thing is a lemon.....

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
That's very strange.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Scheduled to go to the stealership tuesday..... YAY ME!

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Took it in to the dealership. The tech plugged in and checked for the lates version of the software in the module for the RKE. The reman module had the correct version and indicated that fob 2 was programmed but it would not retain the fob 1 program. He installed the original module, updated he software and found fob 1 was programmed but it would not retain fob 2. Puzzled and stumped he said there must be an issue with both of the modules and recommended another one. I was a bit dissappointed and said I needed to think this over so he went to button it up. He then asked me if the unlock worked from the door switches because it wasnt working now. Well great! Now it's worse than before! We checked the relays and both were good. Stumped we were going to give up until I unlocked the passenger door with the key and ta da! The unlock switches in the doors work again...... I told the tech that I was not convinced that two modules were bad and that I would like to know if it is sending a signal to the BCM or if there may be another code stored for the security. He agreed to plug the scanner back in and show me what he saw. While he was going over programming the fobs I noticed he was selecting "program all fobs" but there was an option to program one at a time. I asked him to try doing one at a time. Well, that worked! Programmed fob 1 and fob 2 seperatly and I am a happy camper! $56.00 later and I am rolling for home jamming some tunes. I think this truck is possessed!

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
If it was available on this forum I would just pressed that "like" button on your post :D

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
When did all this door module techno stuff start, the '03 model year? Or did it start with the new body in '00? This issue didn't seem to come into the shop much when I worked there, except for the Trailblazers.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
When did all this door module techno stuff start, the '03 model year? Or did it start with the new body in '00? This issue didn't seem to come into the shop much when I worked there, except for the Trailblazers.

I think they moved it to the door in 03. Prior to that I believe there was a reciever in the dash somwhere near the right side.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
And the saga continues. Now I am having issues with the truck responding to the remote unlock function semi randomly after it sits for 8 hours or so. It will respond to the remote lock signal with no problem but the remote unlock wont work. If I hit lock multiple times it will begin to function normally again in unlock until it sits again for a while. I have two remotes both with the same results. So for now I have part time keyless entry until I find an answer to this issue. The struggle is real!

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I am starting to think its the BCM. Anyone know if its possible
Get around this with a remote start setup? I doubt it.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mack541