General Engine Related Talk and Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
It was back then but aint now. I found out mine was just, wouldn't hold vac. I took a piece of the bedside repair panel we bought and made a block off plate, but I put the egr back on top of it. I was afraid the plate being thin would not seal good enough, so I ground the nipple off the bottom of my egr to make it flat, then I laid down the gasket, plate and then egr and bolted it down. I plugged the vac. going to it and now it's just fine. It did throw an egr code once but never again lol.
I'll probably do that too.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
it'll throw a check engine light all the time they say.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
it'll throw a check engine light all the time they say.
I pulled that bulb out of the check engine light socket a month ago.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I pulled that bulb out of the check engine light socket a month ago.

:lol: I did that to one of my vehicles one time cuz they check engine light kept coming on for a bogus code that I knew was fixed. It originally came on due to a malfunctioning EGR valve so I replaced the EGR Valve and cleared the codes. Well, the light kept coming back on after that so I asked the dudes at O'Reillys about it and they said "Oh, with that the computer has to relearn, blah, blah, blah, and it'll stop coming on after about 50 starts or so. This went on for like 6 months so I went in there again to ask them they start going into their blabbing about the 50 starts BS and I cut them off saying it's been 6 months of daily driving and it's still throwing the EGR code. They didn't know at that point and neither did the shop when I ask them about it when the vehicle was in for an unrelated issue so I just pulled the bulb so I didn't have to look at it anymore....

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Mine came on after driving down a highway for a few miles and letting off the gas on the off ramp, only time the light would come on. And when I try to get the codes out it didn;t flash any, just the 12 code, so I said f-it and yanked the bulb. At least that's less half assed than my old man's way, he would stick a ****** piece of electrical tape over it and it looked like **** and still glowed around it, lol...

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Mine came on after driving down a highway for a few miles and letting off the gas on the off ramp, only time the light would come on. And when I try to get the codes out it didn;t flash any, just the 12 code, so I said f-it and yanked the bulb. At least that's less half assed than my old man's way, he would stick a ****** piece of electrical tape over it and it looked like **** and still glowed around it, lol...

:lol: Plus it's a little obvious if you go to sell the truck when someone see tape on the dash that is glowing! :D

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea really, mine throws random crap but I think it's due t the wrong t-stat yours probably is too. I may yank mine if I pull the dash to dye it black.

Mine throws a code 4x something about the knock sensor sending signal to the esc. I think I need a knock sensor.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
sorry if im a little off topic, but im going to install an edelbrock intake and i know i need silicon sealer on the front and back rubber strips, Question is do I only put a bead on top of the rubber strip between the intake and rubber or do i put a little underneath between the rubber and block too? thanks

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Dont use the rubber at all, just lay a bigass bead of RTV, about 1/4" thick, between the Manifold gasket tabs, and let it sit for about 30 minutes before you set the manifold on.
Like dis:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
great, thanks for the info! im looking forward to a nice new intake on there!

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
Dont use the rubber at all, just lay a bigass bead of RTV, about 1/4" thick, between the Manifold gasket tabs, and let it sit for about 30 minutes before you set the manifold on.
Like dis:
You must be registered for see images attach

did you run a bead across the side gaskets too? or is that just how those gaskets come?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
That's just how the gaskets look. DO NOT put silicone on your intake gaskets!

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Those are vortec gaskets in the picture they are just plastic channels that hold silicon rubber.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
got it,,, what do you think about that gold gasket spray stuff?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Use the regular stuff, I think the spray is more for flat gaskets, like water pump and thermostat...which i dont use anything on myself. I use the Grey RTV for the intake manifold ends.
I wish I wasnt 80 miles away, i would come play wrenches with ya.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB