Bulb and ignition switch questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

germando

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
How is everyone doing, the temperature here is finally below 100 so we can get some real work done. Vehicle is a 73 GMC C1500 and we have started the complete wiring harness install. Since all of the sockets are getting replaced, thought might as well replace all the bulbs as well, which comes to the first questions. From reading the instrument panel bulbs are 168 or 194 depending on preference. Are these the same bulbs that are used as marker lights in the front and back? Also the dome light is a 1004? I am only asking because all the autoparts sites are useless, they only list the bar option for dome light and mine has a little bulb...and for the instrument cluster they list the little round bulbs and the ones in the truck look like the 168 same for the marker lights.

Second question, alternator wiring. I have a standard 3 wire alternator and know the connections for the charging wire and 2 wire plug. But mine has a little black wire attached to a little tiny stud on the alternator housing and I cannot find anything about it lol. I haven't started replacing the engine part of the harness yet, so i haven't traced it yet, was just hoping someone might know. My first thought is ground for the electric choke, but why not just ground to the carb frame.

Final question, the original ignition harness is a two piece plug with 7 wires i believe the replacement only has 4 wire in the two piece plug (12v battery, 12v ignition, 12v accessory, 12v starter) well i believe technically 5 as the battery feed is used on 2 terminals. Is this acceptable has anyone used the american autowire kit?

Thanks
G

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This links has all bulbs by year of vehicle- scroll down the page to your year

Bulbs by year

Also included image from 73 manual

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-09-27 13-06-10.png
    Screenshot from 2023-09-27 13-06-10.png
    163.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

germando

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
Thanks for the pic of the manual that clarifies a lot about the bulbs, but my side marker lights are different even from those listed so i will have to try to match up the ones that came out.

Does anyone have any insight into the other two questions?

G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe