305 to 454 Engine Swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Bectreme, how do you tune? Hp tuners?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay I quit reading after Craig Nedrows post,so if any of this got covered I apologize. That burb should have a 4l80e,tough transmission. You can use all the engine management and transmission controller from the burb. Modern engine management will make you very happy. Better drivabilty and better mpg. And actually a cost savings since you have the parts car,but would have to purchase a manifold,carb,and fuel pump if you want to give up the FI and you will still have to come up with someway of controlling the transmission then.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Down and dirty option with no computers or electronics: 454 with carb and TH400 trans. And keep the truck's existing 2.73 gears. The big block's torque will spin the tires for 100 feet in low gear, and highway RPMs will be tolerable.

Velder

Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thank you all for the help, I really appreciate it.
@Craig Nedrow thank you so much for the links that really helps. I went and read the thread you linked to and that also makes things clearer.

@84c10Tony that is really what this thread is all about, do I keep the truck as is, do the work to make her run and use it for light duty running around, or do I try to make it into the vehicle that I need. I would be tempted to use the burb as my primary towing truck, but it is on its last leg. It has stranded my dad more than once, A/C quit working, he has had that "fixed" multiple times and it still won't work, passenger window doesn't roll down, I could keep going, but you get the idea, We are pretty much ready to let this one go. That being said, I am currently looking for a slightly newer model diesel truck to be my main towing/work truck, so I very well could keep the truck as what it was designed for.

@Ricko1966 Yes I believe that is the transmission, but I know it is in rough shape, dad almost had them replace it at the same time as the engine, so it would need rebuilt, and I don't think I have either the time or the skills to do that myself.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Bectreme, how do you tune? Hp tuners?
I have HP tuners for the newer 2011 Suburban with the 5.3/6L80e combo. I needed to get HP tuners to do the engine segment swap when I drop in the 6.2 later this year and to tune for the new cam and intake/exhaust going on it at the same time. Also needed it for the different sized rims/tires and re-gear when I went from 3.07 to 4.11.

I use an OBDxPro VT and PCM Hammer/PCMLogger and TunerProRT or Universal Patcher for tuning the 0411. I got the 0411, pigtails, and an OBD 2 port from the local junkyard for $40. The tool was ordered from here:
https://obdxpro.com/shop/ back when they were only $60.

They can't get the parts anymore for the VT and they are currently working on switching over to the newer hardware and calling it the "VX". The guys that make the tool are the same one that make LS Droid and some other free software. So I think the VT is no longer available and the VX is going to be available soon. Honestly the VX is a MUCH better tool anyways. The VT will only do the vpw protocol used on the P01 and P59 style computers. The VX will support that, ALDL, and Canbus, which basically covers all GM from 87-2021+

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
I have the HP MVP, used it to tune the 98 LS1. The LQ4 I will buy the credits, and try to tune it myself, a learning curve, but I have an aptitude for stuff like that. Thanks brother, stay cool today.

Sgt Gus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20 3/4 ton
Engine Size
454ci/7.4L
No, there is no chip like the older tbi ecms. And yes, the 0411 is a better, more tunable ecm than the old black box ones.
I will keep that in mind. I'll ask the tbi chip programmer if that is a possible way to go, and what involved.

Number 6

Reaction score
First Name
C.O.
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Ha, going the other way I'm replacing a shot 350 with a 302 that will be rebuilt at a restoration place walking distance from my house. The engine has a steel 2 port head with a Motorcraft carb, that as posted elsewhere I will be swapped for a new Weber 38-38.
'87 2 wheel drive with manual trans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef