Engine build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sweet I'll check there too! I'm sure the motor I have now probably goes through about that much oil too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
If the engine in your truck is running well enough for now I would leave it and buy a solid engine from the wrecking yard and take my time to build it. When you have it finished then you'll only be down a day or two swapping them. After the swap build the other one. you will have a fresh backup if needed. I believe in spares. Better to be down a day or two than a month or two.

Not to thread jack, but i think im gonna do the same. I just stuck a fresh 355 in my monte, and i think im gonna start peicing together a BBC for it while i run this engine. Looking at mabey going 496. :drool: .

Sorry if i thread jacked XD

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Haha no thread jack. If you post a build on that motor I'll definitely follow it! This is my first V8 build so I know next to nothing about them. It'll be interesting to learn and hoping I don't screw it up!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sweet I'll check there too! I'm sure the motor I have now probably goes through about that much oil too!

That's not to bad for a very tired worn motor. Even a quart per thousand miles, it's still a runner. I'll usually give up on them when they're getting to the point they're oil fouling plugs. But, I've never really gotten to that. Like you, you're aware the motor is tired and you're already looking for another option and it'll be handled before it gets that bad.

Other than that, I've broke a ring in a motor before, and I've broke a piston in a motor before. That's the worst that's happened to the motors I've built. Nothing Catastrophic. The one that broke the piston, broke it above the wristpin, so the skirt kept the rod centered in the cylinder and didn't hurt it a bit. The broken ring, did put a shallow score in the cylinder. I honed it, and ran it. Just like new again.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
You can take a look thrue my montes thread if you want, you might get a rough ide of a top end job from it. The 496 will take awile to gather the parts, exspecially since ill have to go aluminum heads if i dont want to mess with front suspension.
But the 355 i have, it started it as a longblock from an engine my dad let me use, then I took it down to a shortblock and swapped heads and cam. It sounds sooo BA, today was the first day ive heard it run. ATM the video is uploading, but when its done your more than welcome to listen to it.

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That's not to bad for a very tired worn motor. Even a quart per thousand miles, it's still a runner. I'll usually give up on them when they're getting to the point they're oil fouling plugs. But, I've never really gotten to that. Like you, you're aware the motor is tired and you're already looking for another option and it'll be handled before it gets that bad.

Other than that, I've broke a ring in a motor before, and I've broke a piston in a motor before. That's the worst that's happened to the motors I've built. Nothing Catastrophic. The one that broke the piston, broke it above the wristpin, so the skirt kept the rod centered in the cylinder and didn't hurt it a bit. The broken ring, did put a shallow score in the cylinder. I honed it, and ran it. Just like new again.

It's been a solid motor and it runs like a champ but I'm not sure how long it's been in the truck. My dad rebuilt it with my cousin in the early 90s and it was used as a work truck. So it's had a hell of a life.

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You can take a look thrue my montes thread if you want, you might get a rough ide of a top end job from it. The 496 will take awile to gather the parts, exspecially since ill have to go aluminum heads if i dont want to mess with front suspension.
But the 355 i have, it started it as a longblock from an engine my dad let me use, then I took it down to a shortblock and swapped heads and cam. It sounds sooo BA, today was the first day ive heard it run. ATM the video is uploading, but when its done your more than welcome to listen to it.

That's something that I really want for my truck is for it to sound really nice. Big numbers aren't a huge thing for me. It'd be fun but it'd be a weekend and truck to tow trailers with. Torque definitely more important than HP to me. And I know I can't get big numbers from a SBC 350

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
That's something that I really want for my truck is for it to sound really nice. Big numbers aren't a huge thing for me. It'd be fun but it'd be a weekend and truck to tow trailers with. Torque definitely more important than HP to me. And I know I can't get big numbers from a SBC 350

Get an L-79 cam. It was gm's 350hp/327cam. Its kinda like todays Rv cams. I have one in my truck and Its a really nice cam. It has a lope to it, and it pulls really nice to.

And a 350 can perform as nice as you build it. If you build it to perform, it will. If you build it for looks, it wont run as good.

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Great thank you!

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
One more thing, if you like a clean engine like me. Felpros 1 peice oil pan gaskets are AMAZING. And I also recamend Mr.Gaskets Copper exhaust gaskets. They are a pretty penny, but they are worth it.

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Awesome!

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey all, been away for a while and now looking to focus on the truck again. Now that I'm trying to be more realistic in my goals thinking of the things that have been done with the truck I realized that the motor was replaced in the early 90s and was only daily driven for a couple years (if that) after it was replaced. The motor in it shouldn't have more than maybe 25-40 thousand on it at the most.

With that being said, the truck already has an RV cam in it and tows great. The only issue I'm having is the transmission and there is a loud rattling sound at the top end of the RPM range. Thinking it's a top end sound and may be in the heads but I can't be sure. What are your guys' thoughts on replacing the heads for now and seeing if that fixes the rattling issue? I was thinking if it doesn't fix it then I could figure something out with the bottom end. Anyone have any thoughts on it? I just don't have the money to do a full rebuild on a new motor like I'd dreamed.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Let's do something easy first. Check your base timing. If it's in the upper teens, back it off several degrees and see if the rattle goes away.

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey guys! Sorry to bring up a 3 year old thread, but I figured I'd just reference my engine issues on the same thread.

As I expected with an old engine, I have several oil leaks from the oil pan and I think from the heads. There is plenty of oil dips on the floor and it smokes from around the exhaust manifolds from what I assume may be oil.

With that being said, my first step was to change the oil pan gasket. All the videos I've found of this was with the engine removed. Are you able to drop the oil pan and change the gasket with the engine still in the truck? I'd answer the question myself if the truck wasn't stored 30 minutes away.....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Hey guys! Sorry to bring up a 3 year old thread, but I figured I'd just reference my engine issues on the same thread.

As I expected with an old engine, I have several oil leaks from the oil pan and I think from the heads. There is plenty of oil dips on the floor and it smokes from around the exhaust manifolds from what I assume may be oil.

With that being said, my first step was to change the oil pan gasket. All the videos I've found of this was with the engine removed. Are you able to drop the oil pan and change the gasket with the engine still in the truck? I'd answer the question myself if the truck wasn't stored 30 minutes away.....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah, you should be fine dropping the pan in a k-series. Did a rear main in one of mine years ago while in the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512