Engine build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
XD so true, we have a Pontiac 350 in the garage that a kid overcammed WAY to much. The rpm range is like 4500-6000. Sounds really mean, but its a dog.

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Great! Thank you! I have been trying to figure out what compression to go with. I have built a motor before with 10.5:1 compression and it was super quick. I think i heard someone mention 9.5:1 for the 350

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Small block 355. cs294 comp solid lift cam. 525 lift. Camel hump heads 202-160 valves. 64 cc chambers. 2 valve relief forged flat top pistons. Approx 10.5 to 1 compression. Balanced rotating assy. MSD 6AL 6500 rev limit. Wieand intake. Holley 750 with BG fuel bypass regulator at 6.5psi. In tank factory pump. Headman Elite headers. True duals with 40 series Flowmasters. Rebuilt 700r4 trans. 410 Richman gears. Eaton limited slip carrier. Approx 450hp. This is the combo I'm using. It's a little hard on gas but can be driven daily.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You need to get you a set of heads on that motor GP. That will certainly wake that combination up. Sadly the camel humps are a bottleneck. Get you some more vortex heads and have them machined for that high lift cam and you probably gained 60 to 80 horsepower. Compression is not to high, I think you could probably add a 100 or 150 little shot of NOS and bump over 600-650 horsepower.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
Vortec heads will give you the best bang for the buck as far as the heads go because they breathe and will make good torque, pair that with a good mild cam, exhaust and ignition setup you should have a reliable, steerable engine that will make you smile when you hit the gas.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
He already has a fairly strong cam. At 294 duration, and 525 lift, that's a fairly radical cam. I don't know which Wiend intake he has, but I'd imagine it's a single plane with that much cam. :shrug:

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I already had the heads that were ready to bolt on. They have been hogged out and flow pretty good. Tje vortec heads would have to have the spring pads cut to accommodate the valve springs that match my cam. It was kind of a budget build. I tried to take the cam recommendations and make it all match up (gears, compression ratio, intake, ign, stall, and carb). Yeah, it's a single plane. It's pretty strong. I've never had it on a dyno so you might give or take a few on the hp.

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Bringing back my old thread... I'm sorry.... I'm trying to decide whether to go to a wrecking yard and buy an old SB350 to rebuild or if I should just use the motor that is in my truck already (another SB350.)

The motor that is currently in the truck has a loud rattling sound at higher RPMs when I'm accelerating. I can't tell if it's coming the heads of from the bottom end like the rods. Any thoughts? I know the name that sound threads get old... It really only rattles when you really put your foot into it or at the very top end of the RPM range.

Anyone have any thoughts on both topics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Vortec heads will give you the best bang for the buck as far as the heads go because they breathe and will make good torque, pair that with a good mild cam, exhaust and ignition setup you should have a reliable, steerable engine that will make you smile when you hit the gas.

I SCORED on a set of vortecs for my build. I pulled them off of a 96 k1500 in a junkyard. He let me have them for 50$,(he cuts me good deals since iv gone there since i was in a carrier) they had mabey 30k on them from the looks. Then i threw 25$ at springs(TWICE). And my machinest cut me a deal at 98$ for cutting the spring pads and opening them up, plus full unbrella seals and a quick valve polish and cleanup.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Good deal there!

Sent from the dust in front of you!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Bringing back my old thread... I'm sorry.... I'm trying to decide whether to go to a wrecking yard and buy an old SB350 to rebuild or if I should just use the motor that is in my truck already (another SB350.)

The motor that is currently in the truck has a loud rattling sound at higher RPMs when I'm accelerating. I can't tell if it's coming the heads of from the bottom end like the rods. Any thoughts? I know the name that sound threads get old... It really only rattles when you really put your foot into it or at the very top end of the RPM range.

Anyone have any thoughts on both topics?

I kinda doubt it's the bottom end. Usually on a bottom end rattle, until it's bad enough to be very profound, you're more likely to hear the rattle at lower rpm just as your starting to rev up off of idle or just coming down to return to idle. It could be a bent push rod, loose rocker arm, or even a lifter or cam lobe going flat and when you're in the upper RPM's the push rod is bouncing back and forth between the rocker arm and lifter. Hard to say without hearing it. Could it even possibly be a water pump or AC compressor bearing???

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok thank you! I know it's hard to say what it is without hearing it.

Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
D.
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
If the engine in your truck is running well enough for now I would leave it and buy a solid engine from the wrecking yard and take my time to build it. When you have it finished then you'll only be down a day or two swapping them. After the swap build the other one. you will have a fresh backup if needed. I believe in spares. Better to be down a day or two than a month or two.

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Very true! Thank you. I've been debating it for awhile and I'll probably grab a good runner at a wrecking yard and sslllloowwwlllyy build it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I too agree with having a spare around. At least a core if not a runner. Check Craigslist too. I bought a 350 2 bolt once from a guy for $100. He told me it smoked a little at start up, but it ran good. He had bought a 74 Chevelle just for the trans, mounts, all the pulleys and brackets etc for this crate motor he bought for his Jag. My bro's El Co motor went bad, we put that $100 motor in it. It used about a quart of oil every 1500 miles, but he drove it back and forth from OKC to Ft. Worth, TX several times and his daily driver for 2.5 years til it got wrecked and it ended up in the bone yard. Motor was still running good though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128