Compatible rear end for 73

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Pretty sure that my rear end is going out. Wondering if it would be cheaper/better to try to find a rear from something else (I've heard that Astro van will work, plus they have disc brakes). If this is true, what will mate up the best?

Thanks.

Brandon

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
A Ferd Astro van rear end? You should look for another 12 bolt truck rear end that will bolt right up or fix the one you have then do a disc brake conversion. I think i read somewhere that a impala or caprice rear disc set will work.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
A Ferd Astro van rear end? You should look for another 12 bolt truck rear end that will bolt right up or fix the one you have then do a disc brake conversion. I think i read somewhere that a impala or caprice rear disc set will work.

Astrovan is GM.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I think J Knight musta been thinking about Ford Aerostar :D

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I've heard you can use the calipers but I dont think the rear end itself will work. Depends on the WMS measurement, and spring perch measurement.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I've heard you can use the calipers but I dont think the rear end itself will work. Depends on the WMS measurement, and spring perch measurement.

Werent they more based on the S series trucks?
Anyway, I would just replace the 12 bolt or have it rebuilt if it's not to late.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
By the way what is the symptom of the rear end that makes you believe it's failing?

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Last edited:

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
By the way what is the symptom of the rear end that makes you believe it's failing?

It has a severe gear whine when driving. I don't really hear it that much in first but when the tranny shifts into 4th and the exhaust quiets, you can really hear it. The truck did sit for 2 years before I got it. No shavings in the rear diff when I changed the fluid the over the weekend, but I doubt that means anything.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Yeah there's a kind of roar sound, eventually the gears knife down and it sounds more like a squeal or squeak. You can have a clunk from excessive backlash going into drive or reverse. Also the housing will be unusually hot after a bit of a drive, say 20 miles or so. Eventually the heat will remove the temper and the pinion or ring gear will lose teeth and forward momentum will cease lol.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
It has a severe gear whine when driving. I don't really hear it that much in first but when the tranny shifts into 4th and the exhaust quiets, you can really hear it. The truck did sit for 2 years before I got it. No shavings in the rear diff when I changed the fluid the over the weekend, but I doubt that means anything.

Some gears are naturally noisy. Yukon and Motive say in their setup instructions the gears will roar more than stock. It could also be pinion or carrier bearings, make sure it has plenty of oil.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
My 85 has a rear end from a 73. Just get the same rear or better yet rebuild it. Good time to swap lower gears and an overdrive transmission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

I would check the back lash and maybe think about replacing the outer bearings.

The Astro van is a mini van/truck. It will not fit unless you want the wheels to be well inside the wheel wells. You need a full size truck axle.

Usually there is a lot of metal in the diff if its going out. So I would check the back lash and if that's fine change the outer bearings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512