89S SCORES!!!! Used 5.7 TBI Install Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea if you are stuck on reusing them you should try them. I never had to, but I only reused 1 set of manifolds besides these, and they went on fine, but they were the old log style on the 86 k10, and these on my 88 warped and would not line back up good. I could get the front or the back but not both. So I had to pry them down with my foot, and once bolted up and ran my old man noticed the PS had cracked down the first tube. 3/4's the way thru too, only thing left holding it on was the bottom flat.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
What is it about the SB chevy manifolds having this problem? I never had this problem with any other motor. But I am covering my ass and putting these things on nice and snug before I unbolt those manifolds.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Dude....got this leak fixed yet???? :Angry:

jk....:lol:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
well i live in the same state and about a hundred miles so i guess thats me:birgits_tiredcoffee

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I've always heard when you remove exhaust manifolds while they're still hot or warm they will deform and you cant hardly get the bolts to go back in right. Which is what I thought that spreader tool was for.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:hidesbehindsofa:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
maybe so but it says you can use them to keep it from moving when you go to remove them. I would have bought the same amount and did the same thing. Plus why would you need 12 hands? Just put em on start to middle 2 then put in the rest, I mean you know you don't need a ton of hands for installing manifolds alone or headers so why would the spreaders make a difference.

The guy wants them to hold their shape, not deform and not try to spread them apart which might make them crack when trying to reinstall them.

I know you guys know your stuff, but I'm with burb on this one I think they'd work just fine and save him a crack possibly as well. Mine were removed cold, I never work on hot anything, then they warped and I pryed them over to make em work with my foot and it cracked, you can't put much pressure on it with your foot setting in the engine bay. I bet the tool could put alot more pressure on them.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
maybe so but it says you can use them to keep it from moving when you go to remove them. I would have bought the same amount and did the same thing. Plus why would you need 12 hands? Just put em on start to middle 2 then put in the rest, I mean you know you don't need a ton of hands for installing manifolds alone or headers so why would the spreaders make a difference.

The guy wants them to hold their shape, not deform and not try to spread them apart which might make them crack when trying to reinstall them.

I know you guys know your stuff, but I'm with burb on this one I think they'd work just fine and save him a crack possibly as well. Mine were removed cold, I never work on hot anything, then they warped and I pryed them over to make em work with my foot and it cracked, you can't put much pressure on it with your foot setting in the engine bay. I bet the tool could put alot more pressure on them.

I think some of you are really misunderstanding the purpose of the tool and what's been said. Why would you need 4 speaders if you are not putting in all 12 bolts at the exact same time? This is why it was mentioned to have 12 hands. You don't put 6 lugnuts on your wheel at the same time and to do so, you'd need 6 hands.
Even taking off the manifolds cold, the damage has already been done, the manifolds warp from being heated and cooled over the long period of time. So just to be able to spread the ports to start your bolts is all the tool is for. Its a tool, not a fix. You don't leave the spreaders in place. This is like buying 2 shoe horns to assist putting on a pair of dress shoes. Really, you can get by with only 1 shoe horn since you're only putting on one shoe at a time. Unless you have 4 hands of course and want to put both on at the exact same time.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
:wtf:
so you thread in the manifold bolts from one end until you get to one that doesn't line up, then stick this spreader between the tubes and crank on it to "stretch" the manifold a little to the last one(s) to line up??

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Reason #4,651 for upgrading to headers!! :lol:

I agree with that too, but there is also at least half that many reasons for not upgrading to headers too. And I doubt he'd pass PA inspection with headers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus