89S SCORES!!!! Used 5.7 TBI Install Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I am using them as a preventative measure.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I agree with that too, but there is also at least half that many reasons for not upgrading to headers too. And I doubt he'd pass PA inspection with headers.
No way they would pass my rig with headers unless I dumped money into a custom exhaust with new cat converters and have a way to mount the oxygen sensor. Aint got the dough for that. And I want to keep my truck as stock as possible anyway. I want reliability more than performance.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size

Okay, so you're using them to kinda prop everything up before you take 'em off so they don't warp more. But was the method HRPC was describing pretty close to my understanding? Never done ANY exhaust work before. :confused:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
:wtf:
so you thread in the manifold bolts from one end until you get to one that doesn't line up, then stick this spreader between the tubes and crank on it to "stretch" the manifold a little to the last one(s) to line up??

You start your 2 center bolts. Then you use the spreader to open up the manifold ports so you can start the bolts on the end ports. So you'd put the spreader between the center port and the rear port, spread it, start your bolts. Take the spreader out, then move it to the center port and the front port, then start your bolts. Once all bolts are started, then snug and/or torque them to spec.
What happens the manifolds warp and the end ports then tend to lean to the center and then you can't start your bolts, or you crossthread your bolts from to much pressure on them from the warp manifold.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

The damge is done brah. You're not preventing anything. They won't stay in place anyway. I'll assure you, the threads will back off with vibration and fall out within 100 miles.
What you're trying to do is buy vitamins for a dead dog to improve his health.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
The damge is done brah. You're not preventing anything. They won't stay in place anyway. I'll assure you, the threads will back off with vibration and fall out within 100 miles.

What?? That doesn't work either??? LOL

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
What the hell are you talking about? I'm not going to drive with them on!!!! LMAO!!!!! I don't even think they would fit with the spark plugs in the head.

I was going to put them in before I unbolted them to keep thier shape when they are off the motor! :emotions122:

I'll post it for the second time in this thread - product description:

Product Features
• For reinstalling the manifold on small block chevrolets.
• A simple way to expand a warped manifold so all bolt holes are accurately aligned.
• Helps prevent cross-threading of manifold bolts.

Works best when used in pairs or install before removing manifold to prevent misalignment.

:suicide:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:lol:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I agree and exactly what I thought, pull crap, throw them on in between them all meaning you need 4, unbolt the manifolds thus keeping them where they should be, when they come off, then when you bolt em back up they should all line up, then remove the tools.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I agree and exactly what I thought, pull crap, throw them on in between them all meaning you need 4, unbolt the manifolds thus keeping them where they should be, when they come off, then when you bolt em back up they should all line up, then remove the tools.
:High 5:

I know I could have just bought the one and used it as an install tool but i wanted to play it safe, that's all.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I don't blame ya buddy I always thought the same. I trust in what these guys say but I'd still be worried about breaking or cracking one just using to reinstall, although it'd be nice to have around if you did remove em and need to put em back on and they don't line up.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
:High 5:

I know I could have just bought the one and used it as an install tool but i wanted to play it safe, that's all.

so it sounds like we aren't getting our free tools, so gotta ask you got that thing done yet?:005:

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
What the hell are you talking about? I'm not going to drive with them on!!!! LMAO!!!!! I don't even think they would fit with the spark plugs in the head.

they will fit with the spark plugs, and on the test drive they will fall out, causing you to have to buy a new one for your buddy who you borrowed it from. :flipthebird:MANIFOLD SPREADER!

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
89S,

Do whatever floats your boat and come post up on how it works on those manifold spreaders.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jturner