700R4 TV (Throttle Valve) Cable Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtheshowstoppper

Reaction score
First Name
jr
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
its a 700r4 good think I noticed it just sucks I can't get on it so it would downshift also in od I can't drive 70 I floor it and I drop speed does this sound like tv cable or not locking up

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
its a 700r4 good think I noticed it just sucks I can't get on it so it would downshift also in od I can't drive 70 I floor it and I drop speed does this sound like tv cable or not locking up

Yikes, I hope the damage isn't already done. The first thing to go when the TV cable isn't hooked up and done right, is the 3-4 clutch pack.

That's exactly how I got my 85K1500 with a New Crate motor for $500. They had about 10K miles on the new motor. He installed headers, an Eddy intake and Eddy carb. Didn't hook up the TV cable cuz he didn't have the carb adapter yet. He drove it about 300 miles that way and trashed the trans. His dad didn't want to put another $1500 in the truck for a new trans so they sold it, and I stole it from them. Rebuilt and adapted a Th350 to the transfer case and been driving it since.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
So HR, I drive like a grandpa, I don't go over a half throttle, most of the time 1/4-1/3 throttle. Is it hurting my trans at those throttle positions? This whole line pressure thing has me confused.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So HR, I drive like a grandpa, I don't go over a half throttle, most of the time 1/4-1/3 throttle. Is it hurting my trans at those throttle positions? This whole line pressure thing has me confused.

NO you're not. Less throttle, means less pressure needed to hold the clutch packs tighter.

The idea is, so that when you get on it hard, the clutch piston squeezes the clutch tighter to keep it from slipping the clutch pack. So now imagine minimum squeezing or compression of the clutch pack, but pulling a heavy boat and going full throttle. What's going to happen? The throttle pressure is NOT going to increase, therefore the clutch piston in the drum is not going to squeeze that clutch pack tighter to the pressure plate, and then it's going to slip the cluthes and steels, also create alot of heat, and then next, there you go. Cooked Clutches Alacarte !!! And a junk trans.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I tow under the same throttle loads.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I tow under the same throttle loads.

If you drive like you say you do, with your gear ratio's, 3.06 first gear, tire size, weight of your boat, I'm sure you trans can live a relatively normal life with maintenance.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
If you drive like you say you do, with your gear ratio's, 3.06 first gear, tire size, weight of your boat, I'm sure you trans can live a relatively normal life with maintenance.

:).

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I finished up a trans swap and I'm trying to get the linkage right. I'm worried that there is slack in the throttle valve cable when the throttle is close. I know how important line pressure is on the TV cable. But full throttle operation seems good, the shifts come at the top of the RPM range and hard. I can even feel the drag on the accelerator pedal from the cable. So it doesn't feel too loose. But part throttle shifts seem very quick. Do I need to shorten the cable? I carefully followed the instructions for setting the self adjusting to detent cable. It's hard to see but I took a photo.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbifer12v24ei6p/700r4-edelbrock linkage.jpg

EDIT: Your pic doesn't show up. Here's a link to it. HRPC
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Bud, you're really going to need to get a throttle linkage adapter to get the correct linkage geometry on the TV Cable. That doesn't even look close to right.

This is the cheapest one I'm aware of for Eddy Carbs. Holley Carbs use a different one. So get the right one. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-700203

You must be registered for see images attach

I know some are handy enough to make their own, and if you can, that's great. I'll see if I can't dig up a link I have for info about the geometry to give you an idea of what you need to do or build to improvise. I think my link show modifying a Qjet that is pre 700r4, but you'll get the idea.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
2 other things...

Is that a Weber Carb?

Looking at how far forward the bracket that holds the TV cable, I'm wondering it that's the wrong bracket too. I'm rust on visuals on the difference in cables now. There are different cables for 700r4 applications, along with different ones for Th350, but you'd need the correct bracket with the correct cable too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So what was wrong with the previous 700r4 before you swapped it? Is it possible the wrong hook up of the TV cable burnt it up?

I wish I knew what killed it. It burned fluid like nobodies business, and never hit overdrive. Based on the VIN it probably was attached to the original 305 that came with the car.

I believe it is a Edelbrock Carb... not a webber. Check my old thread for more pictures of it - http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5576

I really hope I haven't damaged this trans. :suicide: But I had a real mechanic look at it he seemed to think it was ok, just needed tuning. But I don't have much faith in him

I'm going to get a ruler and my camera and try and get detailed photo/video of how this thing is rigged up. The photo I put up is an awkward angle.

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here is a video of the linkage. Sorry its thrown together but hopefully it gives you a good moving, multi-angle look at my screwy setup.

[yt]nxuMYaNGKB0[/yt]

YouTube Video

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1