700R4 TV (Throttle Valve) Cable Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
NO, that linkage isn't right. And that is why it's shifting to early. With all that slop in the cable there, you need to be at damn near half throttle before it even starts to meter the TV valve. IIRC, you should start getting some kind of TV metering starting at about 1/8 or little over throttle. Meaning a little slack is OK, but that appears to be to much. Now you have lots of room for adjustment there to tighten it up, but then you're gonna have a full pull at about half throttle and it's going to shift late, and I think the TV valve will limit you to not being able to get a full throttle to the carb.
As far as the Carb, I'm about 100% certain, that is indeed a Weber 4bl Carb. MOST Edelbrocks are Carter AFB Carbs. I see Carter resemblence there for certain and someone could have very well just added that Eddy sticker. I'm also curious, what frggin intake is that? Damn near as tall as a friggin Tunnel Ram. :rofl: I"m wondering if it's not a single plane intake. Doesn't appear to be with the runners, but damn, that thing just seems awful high to me.

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
NO, that linkage isn't right. And that is why it's shifting to early. With all that slop in the cable there, you need to be at damn near half throttle before it even starts to meter the TV valve. IIRC, you should start getting some kind of TV metering starting at about 1/8 or little over throttle. Meaning a little slack is OK, but that appears to be to much. Now you have lots of room for adjustment there to tighten it up, but then you're gonna have a full pull at about half throttle and it's going to shift late, and I think the TV valve will limit you to not being able to get a full throttle to the carb.
As far as the Carb, I'm about 100% certain, that is indeed a Weber 4bl Carb. MOST Edelbrocks are Carter AFB Carbs. I see Carter resemblence there for certain and someone could have very well just added that Eddy sticker. I'm also curious, what frggin intake is that? Damn near as tall as a friggin Tunnel Ram. :rofl: I"m wondering if it's not a single plane intake. Doesn't appear to be with the runners, but damn, that thing just seems awful high to me.

I'm fairly certain its an Edelbrock 1405. On the front left corner of the carb there is "1405 1216" stamped in the metal. I have no idea what intake it is, but it also had Edelbrock stamped in it.

I'm going to pick up these parts:

EDL-8031 - Throttle Cable Bracket, Steel, Black Powdercoated, Chevy, Big/Small Block, with Edelbrock Carburetor

SUM-700203 - Throttle Valve Cable Adapter, TV Corrector, GM, 200-4R, 700R4, 4L60, Ford, AOD, Edelbrock

Hopefully this new detent cable from ATP is ok as well. It seems to auto-set it self to this slack cable setup. I'm worried the detents might wear out on it.

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok. I installed the corrector that you showed me and a new bracket for the throttle and throttle valve cables. This seems like a big improvement to me... what do you think?

New Youtube Video

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That looks much more like it. You've adjusted it according to instructions right? You're right, that universal bracket isn't the most steady option, but it does work and it is adjustable.
How about your return spring? That thing just seems to be one real still spring. Anyway to come up with the correct dual system? 2 weaker springs, where 1 fits inside the other. Also much safer in the even one spring breaks you've still got a relief back up spring that's better than nothing.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yo guy, what are those other videos of yours on YT with tearing up the asphalt in south Philly parking lot? What's the dillio with that? :popcorn:

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That looks much more like it. You've adjusted it according to instructions right? You're right, that universal bracket isn't the most steady option, but it does work and it is adjustable.
How about your return spring? That thing just seems to be one real still spring. Anyway to come up with the correct dual system? 2 weaker springs, where 1 fits inside the other. Also much safer in the even one spring breaks you've still got a relief back up spring that's better than nothing.

Yeah, it has a really stiff pedal feel. Its actually hooked up to an engine hoist bracket I think. My PCV valve hose is right in the way as well, I need to come up with something better.

89Suburban said:
Yo guy, what are those other videos of yours on YT with tearing up the asphalt in south Philly parking lot? What's the dillio with that?

I used to live in Fishtown in Philly about 3-4 months ago. I ran Autocross events by Philly SCCA. Those vids are from my Evo IX that I run in the Street Prepared Street Tire class. Thats a 2 liter turbo 4 cylinder that puts out ~400bhp and weighs in around 3000lbs. Basically the opposite of my old Square.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I used to live in Fishtown in Philly about 3-4 months ago. I ran Autocross events by Philly SCCA. Those vids are from my Evo IX that I run in the Street Prepared Street Tire class. Thats a 2 liter turbo 4 cylinder that puts out ~400bhp and weighs in around 3000lbs. Basically the opposite of my old Square.

No ****? I didn't know they did that down there. Cool man. :)

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
No ****? I didn't know they did that down there. Cool man. :)

Schedule

I gotta say its the best bang for your buck motorsport. Usually $50 for the day. You don't need track brake pads, fluid, harnesses or anything. Just a mechanically sound car. They run all sorts of classes and have free instructors for ride alongs. I highly recommend it.

The events down at Citizens Bank park are the busiest and its fun to go full throttle and whip it around the lots you usually tailgate in.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
So i have read all these write ups......none say what to do to fine tune once its factory "set".

I set the TV cable, but i think its shifting a little to soon. I'm gonn have to truly drive it and record the shift speeds. But i believe I'm in 2nd by 10 amd 3rd by 25.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So i have read all these write ups......none say what to do to fine tune once its factory "set".

I set the TV cable, but i think its shifting a little to soon. I'm gonn have to truly drive it and record the shift speeds. But i believe I'm in 2nd by 10 amd 3rd by 25.

depending on your rear gear ratio, that could be right. You're talking cruising at 25 right, not picking up speed? Damn, and I can't see specs now in this screen, is this a diesel? Diesels do shift early. That's normal for them to keep the R's lows. If you think it's shifting early, have it pull a little more at part throttle.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
350 with 4.10 gears. 31" tires now, 33" planned.

Should I be gauging the shift points on cruise speed or accelerating speed.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
350 with 4.10 gears. 31" tires now, 33" planned.

Should I be gauging the shift points on cruise speed or accelerating speed.

Both. And that is probably right with 4.10's Keep in mind, low gear, trans is going to shift earlier. So if you're kinda idling thru a parking lot of school zone at 25, I'd say it's probably close to right with 4.10's. Now if you're half throttle building speed to say 40-45 mph, and it was in 3rd already at 25, then I'd say yes, it's shifting to early.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
Ok thank you. I can't gauge this myself BC last time I drove the truck it was a 305 with 3.08 gears. Now its a 350 with 4.10 lol bit of a chance all around to get use to

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Figured this info is worth posting. I know many have issues getting their 700r4 TV cable adjustment correct. Especially with aftermarket Holly and Edelbrock Carbs. My next carb purchase is going to be for a Demon 1900 Series. When I was on the fence, here's what pushed me over. The Street Demons come with the correct geometry linkage and holes for the GM 700-r4 and 200-4r right out of the box. No mods needed, no adapters to buy. So if you're in the market for an aftermarket carb and running a 700r4, I'd sure give consideration to the Street Demon.

attachment.php

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
A lot of really good info in this thread guys! I'm going back today to make sure everything looks right on my carb. My truck became my DD recently and I have been thinking that the kick down isn't working correctly. I don't feel like there is any passing gear at all and acceleration from 50-65 is dog slow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito