700R4 TV cable - weird adjuster?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
I have a 700 R4 and what appears to be an unconventional screw type adjustment for the TV cable. I read the instructions that are linked through summit racing‘s website here, but can’t figure out what the best way to adjust my TV cable would be. I have 4.10 gears turned by a 350 through the 700r4 + NP208. Using a GPS speedometer, it seems to shift into 2nd around 11-13mph. I can’t hear much over 45mph, but sounds like high rpms. I don’t have a tachometer yet and really haven’t driven the truck much since buying it. Maybe 100 miles total over the course of a year, all of it at 50mph or lower.
Any thoughts?
Pics:
You must be registered for see images attach

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
Should I just get a new TV cable adjuster?
Mine does not have the ability to adjust automatically using the throttle cable. At least I don't think it does.
Is anyone familiar with this style of adjuster? I'm not even sure how to adjust it properly if its possible.
Below are the instructions I was referring to regarding resetting the TV cable.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Never seen that style. I'd guess it is some sort of replacement to get it to work.
For sure that slop in a TV cable looks concerning!

Try opening the throttle all the way and check cable tension, with automatic adjuster it should be under tension.

Better to have it too tight and shift late than too loose and risk excessive clutch slippage. But with no auto adjuster getting it too tight means that there is no ratchet to prevent the cable from reaching end of travel and technically becoming an end stop before WOT, so I advise caution.

If the bracket or carburetor linkage is not stock you may have more travel than intended for a TV cable. In other words TV cable may reach end of travel at WOT, but will be too loose at part throttle or idle. You may have lazy shifts at little throttle and delayed shifts at 50 or so % of throttle and beyond. I've seen a guy on YT that addressed it with a small spring on a cable end.

brooksman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado & Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 & 305
Aftermarket intake? Just went through this on mine. Your bracket is stock like mine was. Guy I bought the truck from had replaced the intake and carb with both Edelbrock. I wound up buying one of those adjustable brackets. Spectre I think. Check my @NickTransmissions thread in the Transmissions section to see what I did. Still tweaking it but just about have it right. Edit: I forgot you had already read through all that. It's late on a 12 hour shift.

Last edited:

brooksman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 & 305
I think you can loosen that screw where it attaches to the throttle plate and take the slack out. I know I saw one video where a guy did that. I think you can pretty much feel when it make contact with the plunger in the transmission. If it is shifting where you say it sounds like you are pretty close as is, just need to slack out.

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
Aftermarket intake? Just went through this on mine. Your bracket is stock like mine was. Guy I bought the truck from had replaced the intake and carb with both Edelbrock. I wound up buying one of those adjustable brackets. Spectre I think. Check my @NickTransmissions thread in the Transmissions section to see what I did. Still tweaking it but just about have it right. Edit: I forgot you had already read through all that. It's late on a 12 hour shift.

Thanks Patrick. Yes, edelbrock intake and their 1406 carb. My throttle cable comes at a weird angle too. Might need to fabricate something like you did to get the throttle cable and TV in a better position to one another.
I wonder what the best bracket is for our trucks with Edelbrock carbs/intakes.
A quick search shows Edelbrock makes a variety of throttle cable adapters: 8030, 8031, 8032, 8036, etc.

brooksman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 & 305
I made what I hope to be the final tweak for the bracket at work last night. Should get it installed tomorrow. I'll take some pics when I do. I know you need the TV cable geometry correcting bracket 8026. I see you do not have it on yours. Only thing I can guess that does is alter the ratio of the plunger to the accelerator cable movement.

brooksman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 & 305
Also, pay attention to the orientation of the push button on the TV cable. That is part of the reason for the latest modification I am adding. I can also measure distances from carb to bracket for you off an original q-jet setup like I did for mine. I'll post them tomorrow too. Fixing to go to work in just a bit.

brooksman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 & 305
Good videos. ike the second bracket too. I didn't think about cutting the alignment tab on the TV cable either. Another idea for orientation.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
These should really help. Going to look at them in the am when I have time to head out to the truck. Thanks Patrick.

brooksman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 & 305

brooksman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 & 305

brooksman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 & 305
I'm pretty close to those measurements

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
Great pictures Patrick. Thank you very much for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507