700R4 TV cable - weird adjuster?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Better to have it too tight and shift late than too loose and risk excessive clutch slippage. But with no auto adjuster getting it too tight means that there is no ratchet to prevent the cable from reaching end of travel and technically becoming an end stop before WOT, so I advise caution.
Absolutely! Also, make sure to do the adjustment with the choke closed, so "fast idle" is not engaged. And for an Edelbrock carb, you will need a "geometry correction" bracket made by Sonnax. Here's the part and an explanation of why you need it.

You must be registered for see images attach

gsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Should I just get a new TV cable adjuster?

I would take it to a good transmission rebuild shop. They usually have decent resources for older parts and usually have LKQ OEM parts in stock. Or, they can adjust it for you the way it should be with no slack in it. My local transmission shop did this for me at it took them 3 minutes to get the right tension on the cable for proper shifts.

gsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I have a 700 R4 and what appears to be an unconventional screw type adjustment for the TV cable. I read the instructions that are linked through summit racing‘s website here, but can’t figure out what the best way to adjust my TV cable would be. I have 4.10 gears turned by a 350 through the 700r4 + NP208. Using a GPS speedometer, it seems to shift into 2nd around 11-13mph. I can’t hear much over 45mph, but sounds like high rpms. I don’t have a tachometer yet and really haven’t driven the truck much since buying it. Maybe 100 miles total over the course of a year, all of it at 50mph or lower.
Any thoughts?
Pics:

That is for sure adjustable. Looks like a new throttle cable is due...that is dangerous. TV must be adjusted just right or shifts will not be correct. Use a trans shop, usually the independent shops are best vs. AAMCO etc.

midnightblue

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Another sure fire way to make sure the cable's geometry and adjustment is correct is to drop the transmission pan. Look at the plunger and the lever that pushed the plunger. At idle the lever that engages the plunger should be touching the plunger but not engaging it or have any space between the lever and plunger. Then have a buddy push the accelerator pedal to the floor to make sure the plunger is fully engaged. I ended up purchasing a total adjustable stainless cable from Summit (summit brand) and a few different brackets to get mine correct. Its a royal pain in the you know what to get it perfect, however it saves the transmission. my 2 cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507