700R4 TV (Throttle Valve) Cable Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I've seen a lot about the detent cable, and I just replaced mine, so I want to make sure I do it right.

I pushed the adjustment button and held it down while positioning the throttle to the wide open throttle position. Is this correct? Or do I need to pull it back out all the way and leave the button un-depressed while positionining throttle to WOT? I haven't driven it yet, I did this at night and didn't want to wake my neighbors.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
So I've seen a lot about the detent cable, and I just replaced mine, so I want to make sure I do it right.

I pushed the adjustment button and held it down while positioning the throttle to the wide open throttle position. Is this correct? Or do I need to pull it back out all the way and leave the button un-depressed while positionining throttle to WOT? I haven't driven it yet, I did this at night and didn't want to wake my neighbors.

Push the button and push the caseing away from the carb, let off the button, and then manually open the throttle, and let it wratchet out. Set. You can andjust it back a little if you feel shifts kinda stack up, but try it at base setting first. the tighter the cable is, the higher the line pressure.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Not yet, havent had time to go out to the garage. Had midterms and a project. Possibly tonight if not then tomorrow.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Okay what I did was after installing the new cable, I pushed the button down while hitting WOT manually on the injection pump. I wanted to test it out, so I rode around my apartment complex. It seems to shift really smooth at the right RPM, so I think it's on there correctly. How would I know if it is adjusted correctly? Just by the mph speeds at which it shifts?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Pretty much yes. Just take it for a drive and see how it operates with normal driving paying attention to shift points, Nail the gas pedal and make sure it's downshifting at what seems to be the correct downshift points and does it overide and upshift when the rpms get high enough. Parking lots speeds should only be you getting into 2nd gear, so you haven't tested 2-3, 3-4 and lock up yet.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
True. I wasn't legal yet so I didn't want to go onto the main road. I just got the registration renewed yesterday, and I have to fix a couple things, then I will take it out on the road and test it.

One thing I couldn't figure out though is how to get the cable to go back towards the firewall.... I pushed the button, but the other side has a thick plastic sheath on it, so I can't pull it through.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Okay what I did was after installing the new cable, I pushed the button down while hitting WOT manually on the injection pump. I wanted to test it out, so I rode around my apartment complex. It seems to shift really smooth at the right RPM, so I think it's on there correctly. How would I know if it is adjusted correctly? Just by the mph speeds at which it shifts?

No, when you push the button, slide the cable housing all the way back into the housing, away from the throttle. then let the button go. Then force the throttle opened by hand, and let the cable zip back out on its own. Do not push the button while opening the throttle....will sound like a zip tie.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Okay I drove it about a mile down the road and back, and it shifts fine from 1-2, and 2-3.... but it doesn't go to 4 (Is this considered OD? or lockup? Or is that the same thing?)

I did add that lock up kit... so would the cable be the problem judging by the way I adjusted it? Or would it be an issue with the kit?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
NO, OD and lock up are 2 different things. Depending on your gear ratio, you may not have been going fast enough for OD. If you're running 3.08's or 2.73's you may not see OD until 50-55mph and then Lock Up should happen after cruising speed is leveled out. As long as you have 1-2 and 2-3 you got the majority for sure. But until you can take if for a real drive you won't know for sure about OD and Lock Up.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I was going about 45 or so. Just seemed like the RPMs were high enough that it should have shifted.

jtheshowstoppper

Reaction score
First Name
jr
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
totally new here just picked up an 82 gmc half ton it will not down shift at all tv cable is hooked up exactly like a th350 kick down cable would be I need adapter right? has edelbrock carb

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome to GMSB !!!

Does this truck have a 700r4? If the TV cable is NOT hooked up and adjusted properly you cna burn up the trans in short order since the TV cable also regulates fluid pressure in a 700r4. Yes, the correct Geometry is needed for proper adjustment. The Eddy carb adapter is usually about $22 at SummitRecing.com for their house brand. If it's Th350, you can get by without the adapter since geometry isn't near as important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl