Yellow "gunk" on my oil cap???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
:hmm: So if I switch to Valvoline I can just switch with no issues? The reason I ask is that in the past (years ago) I'd heard that some oils don't mix well with others (due to detergents and other additives that oils sometimes have) so I was told then not to switch brands but if you do make sure the brands are "compatible". This may all be BS at this point (or could have been BS back then too :shrug:). I believe my teacher in Automotive class in HS (MANY years ago now :whymewhyme:) is the one that said that.

Why not switch to synthetic oil?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
cuz of what you just stated a few posts back. Once you go to Synthetic you can't go back and I hate feeling like I'm "locked in".

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
cuz of what you just stated a few posts back. Once you go to Synthetic you can't go back and I hate feeling like I'm "locked in".

Ok, Thats just rumor though. Heard some could switch back and others couldn't. I been running Amsoil since May 2010 and loving it. I also get better mpg with it too.

wagonman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Yellow gunk

If the gunk called Intermix came back that quickly I would be worried.The intakes on the LS engines are dry,no coolant passages.Sounds like head gaskets seeping @ lifter area under intake and there is a plate you need to remove for inspection.The only real coolant leak issues we have are w-pumps.Not saying head gaskets dont leak but not common.Those plastic POS intakes come off real easy,Like in 1/2 hour.Then pull plate.What dose your oil look like? Is it over full? coolant low? If oil and coolant levels ok try some gm cooling seal tabs made fro vegtable fiber and work good.If not its time to do some diggin.Good luck and keep us posted.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
The oil on the dipstick looks fine but I'll know 100% for sure tonight when I do my oil change.

As for the oil level, I found this out because at a filling station in Illinois we got back in after a potty break (went to my brother's house in Indiana...1000 mile round trip) the error came up saying I was low so I added a quart and that brought me back up again. I've read that in these 5.3 L a little oil usage is 'normal' so that's what I'm chalking up the usage too. I'll be checking the coolant level tonight as I have the hood up. I know that when I looked in there yesterday when putting my quart in there was coolant in there and by glancing look there appeared to be a "normal" amount but by no means did I take a close look at it and look at the exact level.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
If the gunk called Intermix came back that quickly I would be worried.The intakes on the LS engines are dry,no coolant passages.Sounds like head gaskets seeping @ lifter area under intake and there is a plate you need to remove for inspection.The only real coolant leak issues we have are w-pumps.Not saying head gaskets dont leak but not common.Those plastic POS intakes come off real easy,Like in 1/2 hour.Then pull plate.What dose your oil look like? Is it over full? coolant low? If oil and coolant levels ok try some gm cooling seal tabs made fro vegtable fiber and work good.If not its time to do some diggin.Good luck and keep us posted.
Don't be telling people to use that stuff, you'll get burned at the cross!!! Take it from me! :roflbow:

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I don't know about the "Add Oil" light on later models, but on older GM models, I was often warned that it's too late once the light comes on because the damage would already have begun. If that holds true still, yours may have been more than a quart low. I would think that losing more than a quart between oil changes is a problem IMO. Did you check the level? Or just add a quart?

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I don't know about the "Add Oil" light on later models, but on older GM models, I was often warned that it's too late once the light comes on because the damage would already have begun. If that holds true still, yours may have been more than a quart low. I would think that losing more than a quart between oil changes is a problem IMO. Did you check the level? Or just add a quart?

I think they have a sensor in the pan, maybe a small float that tells you when its low. The 07 Tahoe did the same thing.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I checked prior to filling and then again after filling. The quart brought it back to full. On another board, another poster who is pretty knowledgeable it seems has said that with the 5.3 L motors it's common for them to use small amounts of oil. Keep in mind that due to the low mileage my wife puts on "her" burb I have not changed the oil since last September or so. So it's conceivable to me that it could happen in that amount of time I guess.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Well, got the oil changed tonight. The oil was a nice dark black so that is very good news. So it looks like the yellow was in fact condensation and the yellow was caused by traces of oil. I also looked at the coolant level and it looked good with no oil in it either. All-in-all I think we're good but I'm going to be keeping a very close eye on it just to be certain. :)

Thanks to everyone for your help! :waytogo:

wagonman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Yeah John I know those tabs are a bandaid,but they do work.Iguess the witch hunt is on.good to hear that the problem is not as bad as first stated.But any coolant in the oil is asking for trouble.JMOP.

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Yeah John I know those tabs are a bandaid,but they do work.Iguess the witch hunt is on.good to hear that the problem is not as bad as first stated.But any coolant in the oil is asking for trouble.JMOP.

yeah, I don't think that there was any coolant in the oil. The oil came out nice and black when I changed the oil last night. I believe the yellow was condensation mixed with traces of oil (which gave it it's yellow color). I'm keeping a close eye on it this week, though. The good side of this is that I get to drive the Burb the rest of the week while the wifey gets stuck with the GP!!! :rocking:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
yeah, I don't think that there was any coolant in the oil. The oil came out nice and black when I changed the oil last night. I believe the yellow was condensation mixed with traces of oil (which gave it it's yellow color). I'm keeping a close eye on it this week, though. The good side of this is that I get to drive the Burb the rest of the week while the wifey gets stuck with the GP!!! :rocking:
:handshake:

xs-style

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Crate 350
I have the same issue on my wifes 99 jeep. Ive never come across a solution to it before. So far Ive just cleaned the cap and changed the oil and went on with my day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512