wiring harness help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

samuel

Reaction score
First Name
sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Hello. I bought a wiring harness, i cant remember which company i bought it from. I believe it is the one advertised as "a wiring harness specifically designed for your classic truck" It ended up being from "American Auto Wire" Its mostly straight forward but I have run into a few problems.

1. there is three black wires come from the cluster connector. Do they all get connected to the same black wire one the new harness.
2. there is two Pink wires with black stripes. What are they for?
3. I have a manual transmission. I don't think i need a neutral safety switch, what gets connected to the''S" terminal in the starter solenoid? (page 5) on the wiring diagram)
4. there doesn't seem to be provisions for a wiper switch?
Thanks in advance for any help. Hopefully ill be able to attach the instructions.

samuel

Reaction score
First Name
sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
heres some of the instructions

Attachments

• dia.jpg
    dia.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 113
  • pg1.jpg
    pg1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 98
  • pg2.jpg
    pg2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 92
  • pg3.jpg
    pg3.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 92
  • pg4.jpg
    pg4.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 95

samuel

Reaction score
First Name
sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
and he last two

Attachments

• pg5.jpg
    pg5.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 107
  • pg6.jpg
    pg6.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 89

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
1. there is three black wires come from the cluster connector. Do they all get connected to the same black wire one the new harness. Yes

2. there is two Pink wires with black stripes. What are they for? They are the hot wires for the various gauges and warning lights. The hot leads for dash illumination are the grays.

3. I have a manual transmission. I don't think i need a neutral safety switch, what gets connected to the''S" terminal in the starter solenoid? (page 5) on the wiring diagram)

There should be a clutch safety switch that is actuated (closed) by the arm when the clutch pedal is depressed. It is just like a brake light switch but on the clutch arm. Wire the purple lead through that switch. Or, if you wanna be a gangsta, just go straight from the ignition switch to the solenoid "S".

4. there doesn't seem to be provisions for a wiper switch?

There doesn't seem to be any - because there isn't any. They only provide a hot wire out to the wiper motor. You have to make your own harness for bringing the circuits back to the switch (3 circuits minimum - low speed, high speed and washer pump).

Thanks in advance for any help. Hopefully ill be able to attach the instructions.

Last edited:

samuel

Reaction score
First Name
sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Great thanks. i got the truck running today. I haven't done gauges lights or wipers yet.
Im gangsta so i ended up wiring straight from the yellow wire on the old ignition connecter to the purple wire that goes to Sol on the starter. Hopefully ill get everything else done on Saturday.
Oh yeah, I forgot I've got to figure out the dual tanks to.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
Does anyone have detailed diagrams for the wiper circuits? I have a 1985 with delay, low, high, mist. I'm doing a conversion and need to know what goes where exactly. I'm using a 1994 k1500 harness for my conversion and I'm having a hell of a time converting the square plug from 94 to the 2 plugs on my 85 wiper motor. colors aren't the same :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue