Wiring fuel sender to gauge cluster harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ty'1987

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I am fixing a horrible mess of hacked wires on my "new" GMC 87 K10, so of course I've got my truck's dash pulled apart and now I'm stuck. The drivers side fuel sender wire has been spliced, spliced, and respliced and now meanders from the sending across the frame to a loom along the inside pass. frame and terminates at a connector that isn't plugged in (dont know what to plug it to) and was tucked away up in the frame.

So now, not knowing where the existing wire is supposed to be, I decided to run a new wire from the unit up the drivers side loom with the brake light wires and through the firewall (hole has already been made for other aftermarket gauges by PO) to plug into the gauge. What I wasn't expecting to find when I pulled the gauge is a plug with all the wires running out from a printed circuit board to all the different gauges.

There are many pink wires in the loom plugged into the cluster, so which one do I need to cut and resolder? Or can I bypass the circuit board and plug the wire into one of the pins on the back of the gauge?? I don't know if those pins are the electrical connectors or just screws holding the gauge in. They are the square holes in the PCB with metal flanges around that I'm looking at.

Thanks so much in advance, and hello by the way. This is my first post to what's been an incredibly helpful forum!

Ty'1987

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Looking closer I find that the wires in the plug at the back of the cluster are numbered 1-9 & 10-18. I see pink wires at 4, 6, 7, 16, and two pinks at 18. Any help is appreciated

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Kind of tough to read. You don't really explain the scope of the job.

Are you attempting to re-activate fuel level indication on your OEM instrument panel?

I am not sure what you are trying to do, but if you want to reconnect the pink wire from the fuel tank level sender (or senders - even with dual tanks there is only one common wire for level indication) to the OEM dash; wire it like this:

Connect the pink lead that penetrates the firewall (and comes from the senders) to the pink wire that goes to the upper left hand corner of the plug (as viewed from the back of the cluster).

There are many pink wires in the loom plugged into the cluster, so which one do I need to cut and resolder?

The one in the upper left corner is the only pink lead to the cluster - I think if you look closer you'll find that the others are pink with a black stripe.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Lots of in and outs lately. God bless cell phones.

I remember when I used to love to live on my laptop.

Matter of fact that is why I am here now and typing punctually. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising