Wiper Arms Modification?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
I take it this isn't gonna work at all lol

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I take it this isn't gonna work at all lol

Very difficult to measure on the splines in the hub with dial calipers but there is about a .010" - .020" difference in diameter, the GMT400 hub being the smaller of the two. The splines seem to match and the GMT wiper will go on about a 3rd of the way onto a squarebody stub but it stops. I don't know how to modify that without ruining the splines or not having the correct shop equipment. That leaves the GMT400 hub useless.

So it is onto mod the squarebody hub to match the GMT hub with careful sculpting of the dremel tool. Inside and out. I have it pretty much nailed down, just hitting a bump in the road getting the spring to work correctly. That's it for me today on this but future plans are to adapt the GMT400 spring into it. It is a bit longer but I belive if i drill a hole inn the right spot and insert a roll pin in another spot deeper in the housing it may just work.

That last pic it is in up position holding on it's own with the GMT spring installed, I just need to get some slack out of the spring because when you fold it down it falls out. I tried to modify the spring clip on the squarebody hardware to wrap around the base in the up position but it is too weak and straightens right back out in the down position, keeping the arm from returning to the up position.

I would say this project is 75 percent close to completion. :)

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
Too much work for me Haha good thinking tho to make it work.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Hey Paw Paw, could you switch the square hub onto the 400 arm? Is the shaft same diameter? The 400 arm is wider, might need a spacer or washers to take up the space between the hub and arm. Would have to make a new shaft.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
I was thinking more along the lines of switching the studs in the cowl to match the wipers....

Milblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MilBlazer
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
You know that bit where the wiper arm attaches to the transmission linkage? Does that have a gm part number? If so you can look that up, see what other models use it and find other models with different wiper blades that might work.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Hey Paw Paw, could you switch the square hub onto the 400 arm? Is the shaft same diameter? The 400 arm is wider, might need a spacer or washers to take up the space between the hub and arm. Would have to make a new shaft.

The splines seem to line up but the GMT arm is a hair smaller in diameter. That is a great question about if the square arm will fit onto a GMT stub. I will have to keep this in mind for the next trip to pull a part and Get the hub assemblies off both era’s of trucks to compare. Like I said earlier the GMT arm will fit on but get's pretty tight 1/3-1/2 of the way on. I was afraid to go any further and not be able to get it back off.

Now I am curious to see if the GMT arm was heated if it would slide on down all the way.

I was thinking more along the lines of switching the studs in the cowl to match the wipers....

Interesting thought.

You know that bit where the wiper arm attaches to the transmission linkage? Does that have a gm part number? If so you can look that up, see what other models use it and find other models with different wiper blades that might work.

Let's try and find that out, good idea.

I'm kinda miffed right now I don't have this finished yet, we are getting socked by a major snow storm. And a girl at work tried to be nice when she came in and flipped everybody's wipers up on their cars and she came to me and said she couldn't get mine to go up LOL.
You must be registered for see images

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
Ya its snowing its ass off....and figures my truck is our getting the rims powder coated haha

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm kinda miffed right now I don't have this finished yet, we are getting socked by a major snow storm. And a girl at work tried to be nice when she came in and flipped everybody's wipers up on their cars and she came to me and said she couldn't get mine to go up LOL.
You must be registered for see images

:doh2:

Well here's to hoping you figure something out. I would sure love to be able to flip the wipers up on my square.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Ahhhh paw Paws wouldn't go up for the lil lady lol

RockyGryphon

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
Has anyone just cut some extra metal out so they'll stand up?

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
LOL thought of you John when my wife showed me this pic.

Attachments

• FROZEN.jpg
    FROZEN.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 179

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model