wiper arm removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RockyGryphon

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
I never removed the wiper arms on my 1985 k10 silverado 6.2L diesel before so I was pretty much on my own figuring out how to do it without breaking anything. I figured I'd post this for posterity.

Once they're turned off in the bottom position (or wherever you want to mark them with tape on the windshield), get a rag, a small flat blade screwdriver, and a pry bar.

Push the blade under the arm's metal tab just enough to lift it out of the groove on the shaft.

You must be registered for see images

Use a prybar (crowbar with a 2x4, etc.) to push the arm off the shaft. Once the tab is past the groove, pushing the arm off is easy.

To put the arm back on, align the blade where it should be, hook the socket onto the shaft, pull straight, and push or pound down into place. Once the tab's locked into the groove, you're done. Hopefully you didn't break the tab or splines.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, these wipers are a PITA. GM normally gives you a way to keep the arms in the flat position so you can wiggle them right off the pivot studs, but not in this case. And the right side arm is awkward to get at on a lifted truck, last one I did by climbing on the truck and laying on the roof.

RockyGryphon

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
I guess I was fortunate to have a side step to stand on and reach the right one from the left side. I had to remove them again and it gets easier each time.

This message was sent from my cheap old brand new ANDROID smartphone on, "Tapatalk"!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AzLuke