Windshield removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Is the any chance of removing the old front windshield with it cracking?
If the chances are low I won't be gentle

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Is the any chance of removing the old front windshield with it cracking?
If the chances are low I won't be gentle
Its easy to remove without cracking as long as you aren't trying to keep the old seal. Just pull the locking strip and cut the entire outside lip of the seal off. If it doesn't have the lock strip then just cut the lip off. The window will just fall out at that point. Have a professional shop install the window with a NEW seal.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Cool
I was gonna do removal but yes glass Co. on install

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm a cheap ass with stuff like that. If I've got it and it's good, I'll use it and do it myself. That's if it has the lock strip type seal. There's one style of seal that doesn't have a lock strip... never attempted to reuse that kind yet.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
i do have the lock seal. so hopefully i can get it out undamaged

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
@Bextreme04 nailed it!
I did two windows this way. One worked the other didn't. The broken one was 75% loose but whoever installed it decided to use some sort of liquid sealant and one small push - CRACK! Right where the sealant was.

The one that worked was so easy it's crazy. Cut the entire outter lip of the seal then gently pushed as close to the edges as I could - from the inside of course.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks guys but a bit confused. Cut on outside or Inside .

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thanks guys but a bit confused. Cut on outside or Inside .

Outside. Slide a razor blade into the channel where the glass goes, then cut all the way around the perimeter.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Maybe my windshield wasn’t installed right, but it sure came out easy enough. Never felt I was pushing hard enough to crack it and did not hurt the seal at all. Now this is the only one I’ve removed but it was easier than expected.
The seals are still soft (both front and rear windows). Was considering re-using them with new lock strips, but also they are likely original or at least very old.
Any reason this is a bad idea (leaks or ???) aside from maybe they don’t last “forever”?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Maybe my windshield wasn’t installed right, but it sure came out easy enough. Never felt I was pushing hard enough to crack it and did not hurt the seal at all. Now this is the only one I’ve removed but it was easier than expected.
The seals are still soft (both front and rear windows). Was considering re-using them with new lock strips, but also they are likely original or at least very old.
Any reason this is a bad idea (leaks or ???) aside from maybe they don’t last “forever”?

I reused mine on my '78. It was probably the original, or at least as old as '88 according to the 1988 state park sticker that was on it. It was soft and pliable still. When I removed it, I found that the window frame pinch weld flange was all distorted in the lower corners. This was due to how the spot welds were poorly done at the factory. I don't know how it didn't leak. I thought it would be best to straighten out the flange with a hammer and dolly. But I found out that by fixing the flange, the old rubber didn't seal against it very well. It leaked kind of bad at first, but slowly got better as the rubber formed itself to the new flange contour. After a full summer's worth of heat and sun, it doesn't leak anymore.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK