Window Regulators

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moorevisual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Something's screwed up with the gear and /or crank on my driver's side window regulator. Are they new manual window regulators out there any good? I see I can get one for about $25 shipped.

redneck_reed78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Braden
Truck Year
1987, 1991
Truck Model
R30, Suburban
Engine Size
Can't answer that but if you want the best and safest bet, go to a junk yard and pull the parts out of something else, you'll probably be able to make sure everything works first any way, good luck!

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I just replaced my passenger side power window regulator. Not the easiest task, but after a few hours, a few beers and more then a few f bombs....I finished it. The original regulator was very S-l-o-w----. I opted to buy it new from an auto chain store for the warranty. Online is cheaper, but warranties and the way that they are manufactered made me wary. The track and internal arm mechanism must be close to halway down when removed and it is under spring tension too. Removing the regulator reminded me of this and damn near chopped a finger. It can be done, just be patient.

As far as going to a salvage yard for electrical components. ....Im not a huge fan. Remanufactured oem with a free replacement warranty is as close to oem as you can expect. Buying a 30 plus year old part that has been sitting in a field in a door....may only last 30 days.

Last edited:

moorevisual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
i ordered one, so i'll let y'all know when it gets here. i'm definitely NOT looking forward to this job.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Just be carefull when reaching into the door opening when the plastic panel is removed. The metal edges are sharp and i had to cover the edges with a rag. Before you remove the motor from the window linkage (after the entire assembly has been removed from the door)....take a note of how the linkage is positioned. The assembly is under tension, and once the motor is removed, it will spring shut (watch your fingers). Before installing the new motor you will have to reset the linkage to how it was BEFORE the old motor was removed, then install the motor on the geared linkage arm. If the linkage and motor assembly is in he wrong position and put back into the door, the mounting holes won't line up and the process will have to be started over. It took me a couple of tries to do this. I would also suggest using some tape or soft clamps to hold the window glass in the closed position prior to taking out the regulatos and linkage assembly. The window will want to fall down into the door and gets in the way.

moorevisual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Just be carefull when reaching into the door opening when the plastic panel is removed. The metal edges are sharp and i had to cover the edges with a rag. Before you remove the motor from the window linkage (after the entire assembly has been removed from the door)....take a note of how the linkage is positioned. The assembly is under tension, and once the motor is removed, it will spring shut (watch your fingers). Before installing the new motor you will have to reset the linkage to how it was BEFORE the old motor was removed, then install the motor on the geared linkage arm. If the linkage and motor assembly is in he wrong position and put back into the door, the mounting holes won't line up and the process will have to be started over. It took me a couple of tries to do this. I would also suggest using some tape or soft clamps to hold the window glass in the closed position prior to taking out the regulatos and linkage assembly. The window will want to fall down into the door and gets in the way.

luckily (i think) mine are manual so i won't have to deal with a motor. hopefully that will ease my pain slightly lol

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I got mine off ebay for $24. The only issue I have with it, is the handle doesn't line up with it so the clip can go it. I need to take a file to the post so the handle can go on further and should be fine.

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
I should have read your post better....all I saw was window regulator and thought you were referring to power windows.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
I ordered mine from Classic Industries. Took about 45 minutes to change out. I did watch a YouTube video first so I knew what to look for. Works very smoothly now.

moorevisual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I ordered mine from Classic Industries. Took about 45 minutes to change out. I did watch a YouTube video first so I knew what to look for. Works very smoothly now.

you wouldn't happen to have the link to that video would you?

moorevisual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Here's a link to Part 1. The regulator is in part 5 but start with part 1 and watch all of them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkbA3iP6Xzo

So me being impatient I missed the part where the vent window was removed first, so I didn't do that. Now I've got the regulator unbolted and slid forward but can't clear the channel on the vent window assembly, but I can't get the reg to slide back in place to bolt it back up and put the window down to get the vent window assembly out LMAO. I might just sawzall the old reg into pieces and get it out that way.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
I used a can of white graphite spray to lube the rollers and pivots. It doesn't run or drip when applied. You can't believe how smoothly the window rolls up now. The other regulator works fine but I'm half tempted to change it out too.

moorevisual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
the $20 aftermarket regulator works great. took me a while to figure out how to get the window on the tracks by myself, but now that i've done it i could do it again in 10 min.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD