Why is my paint flaking off my hood when I hit bumps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
That the paint on the hood of my truck that is checking and flaking off every time I hit a bump in the road is resisting my effort to remove it with such will and determination?:shitsweak: I have gone through three coarse remover wheels and one fiber rust remover and have so far completed HALF the hood! Oh and I did something really really dumb and ground some of the flesh off my right forearm as well. The half I've done looks half way decent, not great, but its a work in progress. Anything is better than the flakes and poke through rust either way. There I feel better all ready! Pics tomorow when i have more done.....

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I have both types and they are even slower than the rust remover wheels! This is all with a 5 1/2 inch right angle grinder BTW. I have some experience with this operation having just "de-painted" my 40 Cadillac last summer using the same technique. The Caddies paint was obviously older and much more brittle in spite of there being approximately 300 coats of paint (don't ask) The Chevy on the other hand, the top two layers are brittle and come right off, but under that....

TK5

Reaction score
Wow that's crazy. Have you gone chemical on it? Brake fluid removed the paint from my valve covers like it was nothing hahha

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
^^I had that thought too! It appears to be original paint, but I'm not really sure, there have been a couple of spots with filler under the top layer of paint already (this after only half the hood is done!) So anything is possible. I got another rest/paint remover wheel, and will proceed after my arm heals a little. I'll try to put some pics of the carnage up this weekend... I thought about using Aircraft Remover but the mess that stuff leaves behind deters me thus far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man