Which product do you recommend for chassis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr4454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello again,
I'm now at a point in my resto that the chassis needs to be done. I have no idea what to use and how much of it will I need. I want to do the entire frame to include the diff and suspension.
This is not going to be a show truck, I just want it to look good, the frame does have the usual rust

oh, I forgot to mention I'm handicap and would like something that easy to use and budget friendly. (spray or brush on)
Will 2 quarts be enough or do I need a gallon for the entire thing?

Thanks

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Rustoleum Heavy Rust Primer followed bu whatever Rustoleum topcoat you like, I use the Semi-Gloss black.

Works great, easy touch up, adheres way better than the magic rust paints, and cost 30 bucks a gallon.

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The guys on the CJ-5 forums are fond of POR-15. It isn't cheap, but it's supposed to stop rust, and it's durable. You can brush it on, and it doesn't take any more prep than brushing off loose rust and crud.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The guys on the CJ-5 forums are fond of POR-15. It isn't cheap, but it's supposed to stop rust, and it's durable. You can brush it on, and it doesn't take any more prep than brushing off loose rust and crud.
Not UV stable though. Needs to have a topcoat of some sort to keep it from fading, and other UV damage.

mr4454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
how much product will I need for the entire thing?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow

My crew cab long bed 2500HD took a little over a gallon of the base, a little over a gallon of topcoat, and another gallon of clear.

Westislander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
I used POR15 and a quart was more than enough for 2 coats. I chose to top coat it but where it does not get much UV exposure it would hold up fine. The stuff, if properly applied, is tough as nails.... I love the stuff (this was gloss black)

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

I used POR15 and a quart was more than enough for 2 coats. I chose to top coat it but where it does not get much UV exposure it would hold up fine. The stuff, if properly applied, is tough as nails.... I love the stuff (this was gloss black)
I see you needed some rust stopper on the floor too eh?

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I used a real good polyurethane primer after sandblasting and cleansing with silicone cleaner. Topcoat with uv stable semi gloss black machine paint. Easy to paint if somthing chips off or you need to drill a hole.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I've been spraying phosphoric acid on my metal after cleaning loose scale off, and wirewheeling til all the loose stuff is off. It turns a grey-ish color, as the rust is converted to iron phosphate, instead of iron oxide, then I paint rustoleum semi gloss implement paint on top of it. Seems to hold up really well, and I can use a paintbrush on it. I have a spray bottle that i spray on the metal, and then wipe down with a brush for the phosphoric acid, then use a different brush for the paint. No need for primer, as the iron phosphate is an ideal surface for paint to adhere to. Rustoleum may not be as strong as others in resisting chipping and scratching, but it is certainly good at preventing rust.

For areas where lots of ricks and junk will hit, I will probably use bedliner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eri24