which head to use.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@seniorbear69,

You say you've got a 305 now while you're sorting out you eng./head situation? Keep the 305 and build it up! It's got the small chamber heads people like. I don't think they like a lot of porting but you don't need to those anyway. You can gasket match them, polish the combustion chambers and slap them back on. Put some 1.6 rockers on them and that engine will work just fine for whatever you need. You can cam those engines and they do fine. Put a set of headers on it and a nice little carb. and it would be a lot of fun. You can run the heck out of those motors, some anyway.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I'm going through the votec cracked head issue now. I picked up an L31 Vortec that was running good and thought I would build it. When I took the heads to the machine shop, I found out they were both cracked. The machinist said about 9 out of 10 Vortecs he sees in his shop are cracked. I found some Vortec heads at Summit Racing (SUM-151124) that use stronger alloy and are thicker to avoid cracking. They have the screw in studs, Comp Cams 81-16 springs and already have the stem seals lowered to accept larger lift cams. They are priced good compared to the cost of doing these upgrades to a set of heads. I paid about $360 a head, ready to install. I was told they are made by Dart. The slight differences I saw were the Summit heads have a little larger intake volume (175cc compared to 170cc) and the chamber size is slightly larger (67cc compared to 64cc). They appear to be well made and clean. Porting looks good too.

That's a smoking deal and they are better than the GM castings. They won't crack first time you fart. Probably one of the best bang for buck aftermarket heads out there.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
@seniorbear69,

You say you've got a 305 now while you're sorting out you eng./head situation? Keep the 305 and build it up! It's got the small chamber heads people like. I don't think they like a lot of porting but you don't need to those anyway. You can gasket match them, polish the combustion chambers and slap them back on. Put some 1.6 rockers on them and that engine will work just fine for whatever you need. You can cam those engines and they do fine. Put a set of headers on it and a nice little carb. and it would be a lot of fun. You can run the heck out of those motors, some anyway.

Friends don't let friends waste $ on 305s... boat anchors.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
That's a smoking deal and they are better than the GM castings. They won't crack first time you fart. Probably one of the best bang for buck aftermarket heads out there.

Its not really a deal... that's how much summit charges for them. Its only a little bit more than the summit old school heads, which are also pretty darn good.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Its not really a deal... that's how much summit charges for them. Its only a little bit more than the summit old school heads, which are also pretty darn good.

Yes your right. I was just considering the options. Nothing is a deal anymore, everything is either overpriced and/or junk it seems.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Yes your right. I was just considering the options. Nothing is a deal anymore, everything is either overpriced and/or junk it seems.

I think we're going to see a lot much more cheap China made **** now too. Perfect :oops:

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
If I were buying a set of small block Chevy heads right now, I would be buying these.
Perhaps the intake ports are a bit large for a straight hauler that needs a tractor engine, but perfect for an engine that has some spice to it.

For less than $1000 you have aluminum heads with name brand parts installed.
Manufactured by a name that has been in the head business for some time now, not just a name on ebay.

https://www.airflowresearch.com/cylinder-heads/enforcer-as-cast/

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey