Where to buy seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Well duh, I hit the bolts with silicone after I put the nuts on and it didn't help. I have a wire welder, I don't know why I didn't just tack it. That's a great idea, there not nylocks so tack welding them is perfect. Got to change the oil soon and will check the links again when I do. Thanks for the idea.
if its a thick enough bolt you could easily drill a hole and us a cotter but im suspecting its not that thick of a bolt. locktite would also help. also, poor mans threadlocker if you put the nut on a little crooked

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
maybe they broke under sway and then kinda "ejected"
I know the original sway bar end links for my park avenue stayed put (plastic sleeved metal bolts junk POS) and I never noticed the ride difference because the rear and the car didnt sway badly since the rear bar was present.
I started second guessing myself, thought about the option they were stolen or I bought them and never put them on. Then I paid attention to the new set, watched the nuts work them selves loose over time, would tighten them every second oil change hoping the rust would keep them from falling off eventually.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@idahovette Yea, where it comes to these conglomerates, local management can make or break. @Grit dog remember when I told there is a great Autozone in Kirkland, and if you ever needed parts up this way to go in there and ask for Vern (he was the manager). Forget it, he moved on. Vern had been hanging around since the 90's, he was a tech back then, owned a Matco franchise for a while, then Autozone, now I think I heard that he is running the maintenance department for a private company. Anyhow he's gone from that Autozone, and the store has gone to H E L L in the last couple months. I called over there the other day and asked for the wholesale department and the dude that answered the phone did not know that they had a wholesale guy....

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I started second guessing myself, thought about the option they were stolen or I bought them and never put them on. Then I paid attention to the new set, watched the nuts work them selves loose over time, would tighten them every second oil change hoping the rust would keep them from falling off eventually.
IS the hardware of the replacements stainless steel ? Otherwise I would say look at a balance issue. In my experience in a 2003 4.6 explorer, the tires can be grossly under/ and over inflated, engine slightly misfiring , and the thing seems to not vibrate much. despite the ball joints I think were problematic.. maybe

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@idahovette Yea, where it comes to these conglomerates, local management can make or break. @Grit dog remember when I told there is a great Autozone in Kirkland, and if you ever needed parts up this way to go in there and ask for Vern (he was the manager). Forget it, he moved on. Vern had been hanging around since the 90's, he was a tech back then, owned a Matco franchise for a while, then Autozone, now I think I heard that he is running the maintenance department for a private company. Anyhow he's gone from that Autozone, and the store has gone to H E L L in the last couple months. I called over there the other day and asked for the wholesale department and the dude that answered the phone did not know that they had a wholesale guy....

Nother one bites the dust…
Maple Valley Autozone had or maybe has a good guy working there still.
Retired Boeing engineer and pretty big time Ford/Mopar collector ( big to me not Jay Leno type ****…). He did a little parking lot diagnosis and repair on our sons Mustang. Voluntarily. Actually sent us over the Johnsons hardware to kill some time while he “fixed” the issue.
(I gladly accepted. It’s a rare occurrence when anyone fixes something for me. 99% of the time it’s the other way around.)
But he is certainly not the norm. Far from it. And just putzing at a part time job that he enjoys since he’s a gear head. Would be similar to me, you or any number of people who have far surpassed the min quals to get hired at a parts store.
Gosney Napa in Auburn, all of their employees have been here forever (2011 is “forever” since we moved to WA then, lol) and very knowledgeable. Way better than some of the counter guys at the big Napa dist center in Kent.
I’ll actually call Gosney first to get the right part or part number if I can’t finger it out on napaonline and THEN go to Kent to buy it if they don’t have in stock in Auburn.
But in general sticks n bricks auto parts stores are, not on their way out I believe, but subject to the same Amazon phenomenon that the rest of the retailers are experiencing. Can’t count how many times now I go to a parts store or 2 of them, and before I walk out I’ve ordered the part on Amazon that I couldn’t get in the store and it’s on my porch the next evening….always wondering why I didn’t just Amazon it 2 days ago when I knew or thought I needed it. And then wasted a trip to Vato Zone!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Nother one bites the dust…
Maple Valley Autozone had or maybe has a good guy working there still.
Retired Boeing engineer and pretty big time Ford/Mopar collector ( big to me not Jay Leno type ****…). He did a little parking lot diagnosis and repair on our sons Mustang. Voluntarily. Actually sent us over the Johnsons hardware to kill some time while he “fixed” the issue.
(I gladly accepted. It’s a rare occurrence when anyone fixes something for me. 99% of the time it’s the other way around.)
But he is certainly not the norm. Far from it. And just putzing at a part time job that he enjoys since he’s a gear head. Would be similar to me, you or any number of people who have far surpassed the min quals to get hired at a parts store.
Gosney Napa in Auburn, all of their employees have been here forever (2011 is “forever” since we moved to WA then, lol) and very knowledgeable. Way better than some of the counter guys at the big Napa dist center in Kent.
I’ll actually call Gosney first to get the right part or part number if I can’t finger it out on napaonline and THEN go to Kent to buy it if they don’t have in stock in Auburn.
But in general sticks n bricks auto parts stores are, not on their way out I believe, but subject to the same Amazon phenomenon that the rest of the retailers are experiencing. Can’t count how many times now I go to a parts store or 2 of them, and before I walk out I’ve ordered the part on Amazon that I couldn’t get in the store and it’s on my porch the next evening….always wondering why I didn’t just Amazon it 2 days ago when I knew or thought I needed it. And then wasted a trip to Vato Zone!
Yea, since you brought up Amazon, I completely agree with your thoughts. Also the choices are wide (more brands for a particular part) and in many cases the prices are similar or better than the small discount the retail parts stores give shops these days. I just bought belts for the truck and order them in from Amazon because I wanted a particular brand that wasn't readily available locally.

Radiohead

Reducing tire diameter 1000 revolutions at once
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Vato Zone. I'm going to remember that, lol

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I just put an input shaft seal in my 208, got it from NAPA, so I'm sure they'd have the output seal.

Newcman1

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K10
Engine Size
So I am trying to buy a rear output shaft seal for my 203 transfer case but all the websites I look up are sketchy as hell and I can’t find the seal on AutoZone or Napa. Does anyone have an idea on where I should go and buy it?
Did you find the seal? If not there's a small shop in Tulsa called Lester's Gear and the guy working the counter knows his stuff. I don't know if they ship parts but it might be worth a call 918-834-36O1 he could probably give you a good part number. I got my 700R4 and NP208 rebuild parts there he just walked to the back room and got them without cracking a book

Newcman1

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K10
Engine Size
Well I just learned, sadly, that Lester's Gear in Tulsa closed up a month ago, after over 60 years in business. I remember going there with my Grandpa to buy some jeep transmission parts around 1969....they had just what we needed. They have a related company called Axles Transmissions and Transfer Cases which is still in business. I haven't dealt with them but they are said to be honest and reasonable on costs. Their number is (918) 425-7725. Hope that helps.

kenneth1669

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sorry I am just now seeing your comment. Yes I did find it. I finally pulled the seal out and found the part number on it and ordered a seal from rock auto and thanks for everyone’s help as well

kenneth1669

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It may be too late to ask and completely off topic of this post but I have been posting a lot of threads asking questions and I feel like I have posted too much lol so I’ll just ask here but does anyone know what kind of grease goes into all the zerks around my truck. When I was pulling the driveshaft off for the output shaft I saw like 3 zerks on it with really old looking grease and I thought I would throw some grease in there. The only problem is I don’t know what grease to use or does it matter what grease I use. Thanks for any advice

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
It may be too late to ask and completely off topic of this post but I have been posting a lot of threads asking questions and I feel like I have posted too much lol so I’ll just ask here but does anyone know what kind of grease goes into all the zerks around my truck. When I was pulling the driveshaft off for the output shaft I saw like 3 zerks on it with really old looking grease and I thought I would throw some grease in there. The only problem is I don’t know what grease to use or does it matter what grease I use. Thanks for any advice
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes