where should the clutch catch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeoverland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250/I6
Greetings all! Does anyone know where the clutch should catch on an 81 3 speed saginaw? I am used to clutches catching right off of the floor (for a manual clutch) and right in the middle (hydraulic clutch) but my square catches at the very top of the pedal. I was told that this truck has a brand new clutch in it so i don't think that the disk is bad but top of the pedal? I have taken all of the slack out of the pedal so there is the usual 1" of play in the linkage but something doesn't seem right. Any suggestions other that switch it to an automatic ro a 4 speed sm?

thanks

Mike

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It varies widely from truck to truck, but the clutch should "catch" or engage by mid point in the pedal travel.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
It varies widely from truck to truck, but the clutch should "catch" or engage by mid point in the pedal travel.
this would be my experience. I would venture the adjustment will affect this too. OP, how is your engine running? 250? whats the idle speed? whats your z bar look like engine bay side?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
If you knew the diameter of the clutch put in, it may be different than the original or perhaps the install had issues of some kind. I know the i6 trucks got a smaller clutch than v8 and smaller than 1 ton all around 10 or 11 inch i believe. 10 or 11 for v8 up to 3/4 ton, 12 i think for 1 tons. with exceptions.

mikeoverland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250/I6
that's what I was afraid of. my guess is that the "new" clutch isn't as "new" as it should be

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
that's what I was afraid of. my guess is that the "new" clutch isn't as "new" as it should be
I know Im invisible sometimes and overall an annoyance but that z bar question deserves a little consideration :(
A messed up geometry or a part with play or bent may be whats causin your situation

mikeoverland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250/I6
this would be my experience. I would venture the adjustment will affect this too. OP, how is your engine running? 250? whats the idle speed? whats your z bar look like engine bay side?
the little 250 is running great and I haven't even tuned it up yet. I need to put a vacuum gauge on the carb to tune it and an engine analyzer to get the idle spot on. My best guess on the idle is somewhere around 700-750 rpm which is low but in the acceptable range. Between the new fuel pump and the new carb the engine is rockin solid! When i take the bed off to fix all of the missing wood slats I'm going to replace the fuel tank, the pickup tube/sock and every single piece of rubber hose that is in that fuel system. I figure that that type of work will be easier without the bed in the way.

mikeoverland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250/I6
I know Im invisible sometimes and overall an annoyance but that z bar question deserves a little consideration :(
A messed up geometry or a part with play or bent may be whats causin your situation
I would never consider you an annoyance since you have always treated me with kindness and respect (and your advice is normally spot on) When I'm under the truck next I will check the z bar for wear/damage and all of the shifting rods for wear/damage/straightness. The beauty for working for a fastener company is that if any of the threaded rod pieces are mangled I can get new hardened pieces from work for next to nothing. (When I start on the missing driver's door glass I'm planning on raiding our AuVeCo wall...)

mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20