What will bolt directly in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbug6900

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I have a 1977 stepside I was looking for a ford 9inch that will bolt directly in with minimal problems any and all help is needed

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Their are no direct bolt in 9in rear ends. Your factory 10 or 12 bolt is 64in wide from wheel mount surface to wheel mount surface. You will need to find one close to that wide unless you are going to tub or mini tub the truck. You will have to remove all the mounting brackets off of the 9in and instal new spring perches and reuse your old shock mounts. Ford truck 9in have 5.5in bolt circle and even some later models have a 4.5in bolt circle. Most car 9in rear ends have a 4.5in bolt circle but the Ford Thunderbird and the Lincoln Continental from the 70's have a 5in bolt circle.

The only way you might be able to get a direct bolt in would probably be Currie Enterprises in CA, they can build a 9in to your specs. They might have the specs on a c10 but I dont know for sure.

The best way to do this is to find a rear end, take it to a rear end performance shop, have them build it to your specs with new gears, carrier, axles, and brakes. Then when you get ut home you set the rear in place and weld in your mounting hardware, run your brake lines, and measure for drive shaft. It will he pricey but it will be right.

The cheap way to do it is to search till you lose you mind for close to what you want and just make it fit.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I picked up a free 9 inch a couple weeks ago, knowing nothing about it. While digging for info, I realized most (if not all) of the housings were narrower or wider than what these trucks of ours have.

lessersivad

Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Truck Year
1977, 1979, 1982, (2)1985 1985
Truck Model
C10, K20, K10, K5, K2500
Engine Size
250,305,350, 6.2
This is my 1st post but I hope it helps.

According to this;
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Wheelbase,_track_width,_and_differential_measurements#Ford

It is as I suspected, the early to mid 70's full size Ford (LTD) comes real close to the right width @ 63", which would be a mere 1/2" per side. It will also have the 5x5" wheel bolt pattern.

This is a possible option for my '77 C10 as the gears are rather steep but I may go in a different direction with the truck.

Granted mounting points will have to be done as the Fords came with coil spring suspension as opposed to leaf springs.

Again, I hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising