What to do???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benscharlotte21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
What do you think about the 44 Ive got up front? If I run 37's or 38's vs 36's

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
44's are great front end's

The rock crawler guy's and big time off road basher's will say you have to run a dana 60 with 38's and bigger but that's b.s. Sure dana 60's are bad ass but they are way heavy , (not great in the mud) and they are big dollar to buy and rebuild.

I have ran 44's and 10 bolts for a long time in many trucks with big tire's with little or no problems , even with 350 to 400hp motor's.The only thing I have broken is axle joints but not that often and only when getting her done off road.I have also bent one housing but that was my fault , (got her a little to high off a water bar).

When you run wide wheels you will eat ball joints a bit faster as well , (cheap and easy to replace yourself).

I also have made some axle trusses for some of the 44's I have ran but if you are no beating it up off road you dont need to go that far with it.

Either way your 44 will be fine with 38's , you will just wear parts a bit faster.

:happy160:

benscharlotte21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
I just put new hubs and ball joints on it about 200 miles ago so theoretically Im set there for a while. I might need to replace my pinion seal but that is also relatively easy as I already did it on the rear. Hopefully I'll run a 12.5 or 13.5 wheel. Good to know that it should be fine. Ill be doing trips back and forth to school about 5 to 6 hours away on her so its nice to know my axle shouldn't fall apart lol.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I just put new hubs and ball joints on it about 200 miles ago so theoretically Im set there for a while. I might need to replace my pinion seal but that is also relatively easy as I already did it on the rear. Hopefully I'll run a 12.5 or 13.5 wheel. Good to know that it should be fine. Ill be doing trips back and forth to school about 5 to 6 hours away on her so its nice to know my axle shouldn't fall apart lol.

Are you talking tire width or wheel width when you say 12.5 or 13.5 , I dont think they make those width's in wheels unless you go custom made.

Anyway in my opinion I like the look of wide wheels no matter what tire you run , but thats just me.
A 10" wide wheel is fairly easy on parts with a big wide tire , but I like to run 12" wide wheels for the look , but it's harder on parts , basicly the wider wheel , the bigger the tire , the harder on parts it will be.

Most people around here with lifted square's run 10" wide wheels but not me for the most part , I like 12's or 14's , makes your truck look way bad ass.

40/17's on 14 wide's on my blazer.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Apparently 12 inch wide wheels are getting harder to find, and wide tires too actually. I've been planning my order for when I get our tax refund, I had a hard time finding a place that could get the tires and wheels I wanted.

benscharlotte21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
My apologies I meant the tire itself. Those wide of wheels will be pretty difficult for me to find so I'm thinking more 10 inch range realistically, but we will see.

benscharlotte21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
I have a new question actually... I bought the truck a year ago and it has a crate motor in it (put in 10k before I bought the truck). Any idea what I would have on the motor for heads, intake etc? I also cant find the ID numbers on the tag behind the alternator on the front of the passenger side head like I believe I should be able to..

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I have a new question actually... I bought the truck a year ago and it has a crate motor in it (put in 10k before I bought the truck). Any idea what I would have on the motor for heads, intake etc? I also cant find the ID numbers on the tag behind the alternator on the front of the passenger side head like I believe I should be able to..

You have to pull a valve cover to get the head number's , it's a long set off number's between the rocker's and the block number's are on the drivers side , back of motor , down were the bell housing bolt's up , (kind of hard to see , but you can do it).
The best thing you can do to wake up a stock crate small block is a cam and head change.

benscharlotte21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
Alright good to know. I'm thinking vortec heads. I was thinking about the Edelbrock cam people say is good with TBI. I'm good with motors and doing all this stuff but generally how much work an how hat is doing a cam? Apparently I'm full of questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Apparently 12 inch wide wheels are getting harder to find, and wide tires too actually. I've been planning my order for when I get our tax refund, I had a hard time finding a place that could get the tires and wheels I wanted.

Yes very true , mickey thompson classic III 16x12 at summit 166.00 each and also cragar , u.s. wheel , has that size. I like to run the 15x12 , 8 lug's by bart but you have to run a small spacer and grind the caliper's.

As far as tire's , you can still get the fat super swamper's , but some people can put up with them. I have found a size thats pretty cool ,

385/70-16 radial , 37.72 tall , 15.35 wide , (good size) in toyo mud's , (about 450.00ea) , and nitto mud's , (389.00ea).

Put those on a 12 wide mickey and they would look bad ass!!!!!!!!

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Alright good to know. I'm thinking vortec heads. I was thinking about the Edelbrock cam people say is good with TBI. I'm good with motors and doing all this stuff but generally how much work an how hat is doing a cam? Apparently I'm full of questions!

Vortec head's are great , but you will need an intake as well. As far as a cam change , it's a bit of a pain in the ass , you will need to remove the radiator etc... to get the cam out and be careful not to nick the cam bearings.
Another thing , do your leg work on cam choice , (I dont do much tbi stuff) , you do not want to over cam , like a lot of people do.

benscharlotte21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
Yeah I'm still contemplating the cam we'll see also I should be able to get the 37 inch military humvee tires so I will likely run those.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yes very true , mickey thompson classic III 16x12 at summit 166.00 each and also cragar , u.s. wheel , has that size. I like to run the 15x12 , 8 lug's by bart but you have to run a small spacer and grind the caliper's.

As far as tire's , you can still get the fat super swamper's , but some people can put up with them. I have found a size thats pretty cool ,

385/70-16 radial , 37.72 tall , 15.35 wide , (good size) in toyo mud's , (about 450.00ea) , and nitto mud's , (389.00ea).

Put those on a 12 wide mickey and they would look bad ass!!!!!!!!

It's funny you mention that, I was looking for those Classic III's and couldn't find them at Summit. I did find them at National Tire&wheel though, along with the 36x15.5x16 MTZ's. Plus they have a shipping deal for 50 bucks and they will also mount/balance and send lugnuts for another 80 bucks.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
It's funny you mention that, I was looking for those Classic III's and couldn't find them at Summit. I did find them at National Tire&wheel though, along with the 36x15.5x16 MTZ's. Plus they have a shipping deal for 50 bucks and they will also mount/balance and send lugnuts for another 80 bucks.

Great deal , those mtz's would look hot on a 12 wide.

I was looking at 16x12 , 8 lug wheels at summit and they had those but I did not see them in 6 lug.

:big_banana_Dance:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I was looking for 8 lug too, but maybe I just overlooked them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack253