What to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
I've got a Ramsey Winch and bumper on my K10. The winch has never free spooled on its own, and I always had to use the remote. It has since quit working in the last year or so, and I am assuming it is the remote but am not entirely sure, and could use a new cable and good cleaning, and possibly solenoids.

I could spend the money and "fix this one up" or I could get a new or "new to me" winch.

I need a winch that is "front mounting". The Ramsey winch mounts on the bumper with screws in the front.

Any suggestions? For what is worth, it is a RE8000 Worm gear winch.
You must be registered for see images attach

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
If it were mine, I'd start with the solenoids and work from there. If it's anything like the old Warn winches, most parts stores will have solenoids, they're the same as the old snow plows run and not very expensive.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The free spool issue would have something to do with the release knob mechanism, I believe. Electrics shouldn't have anything to do with that part of it.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
The free spool I suspect has something to do with the clutch, or even the lever, because a time or two I have managed to pull the free spool lever and it would disengage and spool freely.

I reckon its another project to throw on the bench!

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
First thing I'd do is call Ramsey, and find out what parts are still available. Take it apart, clean and paint everything, get rid of the cable (unless you like cable) and put the rope, (I don't know the proper name of the stuff) it suppose to be better and stronger than cable.

That is one of the reasons I got into "REBUILDING" these older trucks, that's the fun part, and being able to say "I DID THAT" being able to help out someone that is unsure about something like that.

Unless it is totally roached, rebuilding should be cheaper every time.

Half Assed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
D
Truck Year
1987, 1988
Truck Model
R20 3+3, V20 Suburban
Engine Size
'bout tree fiddy
Try fixing it first. A decent winch will set you back about $500. As said the free spooling has to do with the clutch and lever. It probably hasn't been opened and lubed up since it was new.

Synthetic rope is what Mr Clean was looking for. If you use it a lot it might be worth it, but if you don't and the original cable isn't kinked, frayed, or rusty then save the money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli