What Rear End Do I Have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
Oh geez. The lock-right has 3 different verisons for the D70HD lol. A 1 piece and a 2 piece. Which one do I need?! Im definitely debating getting one hardcore

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
I mean 2 versions lol. One is for a non-HD

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
Hey guys, I sent rocky-road an email asking which diff I needed. Here is his response:

I just called Lockright to see if there is an easy way to determine which carrier you have. They said that the only way to do it is to take off your diff cover and inspect the carrier and gears. If the carrier has some "windows" in it then it is a single piece carrier. If there are not any windows then it is probably a 2 piece carrier. They did say that the 2 piece is pretty rare and because of that they have actually discontinued that locker.

I'd recommend draining your differential and then taking off the diff cover to see what is in there. It is probably the single piece.

This is all fine and dandy BUT my truck is my DD! I cant crack open my diff cover and leave it like that! And diff fluid is expensive to do it twice!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hey guys, I sent rocky-road an email asking which diff I needed. Here is his response:

I just called Lockright to see if there is an easy way to determine which carrier you have. They said that the only way to do it is to take off your diff cover and inspect the carrier and gears. If the carrier has some "windows" in it then it is a single piece carrier. If there are not any windows then it is probably a 2 piece carrier. They did say that the 2 piece is pretty rare and because of that they have actually discontinued that locker.

I'd recommend draining your differential and then taking off the diff cover to see what is in there. It is probably the single piece.

This is all fine and dandy BUT my truck is my DD! I cant crack open my diff cover and leave it like that! And diff fluid is expensive to do it twice!

Believe it or not, it's not all that hard to do. You can also save the gear oil, and pump it back in. I'd ever use the same gasket if I didn't tear it. If not, use silicone since you're just putting it back for temporary use til you get the locker unit. Even if it's got a drip or 2 leaking, you'll be ok til you get the unit then use a new gasket if you want and new gear oil.

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
That's using your motor head!

Thanks man! Ill definitely be looking into that soon. Them guys at rocky-road "seems" pretty nice so I think ill be using them to get my locker.

Thanks for the help HR!

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Believe it or not, it's not all that hard to do. You can also save the gear oil, and pump it back in. I'd ever use the same gasket if I didn't tear it. If not, use silicone since you're just putting it back for temporary use til you get the locker unit. Even if it's got a drip or 2 leaking, you'll be ok til you get the unit then use a new gasket if you want and new gear oil.

yup, i got home from school one day and popped mine off, and had it all back together for the next day.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's using your motor head!

Thanks man! Ill definitely be looking into that soon. Them guys at rocky-road "seems" pretty nice so I think ill be using them to get my locker.

Thanks for the help HR!

Trust me, fluids are to expensive this day to waste and I don't. I just did my balancer and had to pull the radiator. I pump the coolant out of the radiator and when I took the lower hose off only lost about a pint of coolant. When done, I poured the 2 gallons I had back in. It was good and light green. Not all that old so I wasn't about to waste it. Then added a quart of new coolant and a quart of water to top it off.

When I do trans service, if the fluid is till red, I save that too. I'll filter it so no debris is in it and re use it for topping off or when I get a vehicle with a leak. It sucks to spend $3 for a quart of Trans Fluid just to leak it out in about 3-4 days, so I'll use my old saved filtered stuff to get by until I get the leak fixed.

BTW, I don't save the last cup or so. That's where most of the metal particles will have fallen to. Trash that **** and don't reuse it. I also have a magnet in the bottom my oil pan so any metal particles will stick to the magnet and not go into the jug I'm saving the fluids in.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't use gaskets on diff covers. I've always used a good RTV (like Ultra Black or similar) and I've never had any issues.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't use gaskets on diff covers. I've always used a good RTV (like Ultra Black or similar) and I've never had any issues.

Me either. I think the trick is to be sure you get a continuous bead and all will be good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man