What new tools have you got lately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Here is the Eveready Captain that I found another day.
I have replaced the bulb with a 3 volt LED version with 200 lumens.
You must be registered for see images attach

I found an Eveready just like that at a thrift shop a while back. Super cool flashlight.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I bought a rivet nut tool and rivet nutserts for my high hump install. Freaking awesome fasteners. Got them installed and now no reason to have to get under the truck if I need to remove it.
Got one on friday. Astro 1442. Got it to put in rivet nuts to mount the visor on the cab instead of sheet metal screws. Gonna be tight close to the glass though.

ebodell08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So a good friend of mine was driving through a Des Moines residential neighborhood when he happened upon a guy cleaning out his Dad's garage. Guy was tossing several large tools (pipe wrenches, breaker bars, etc.), a bunch of copper pipes and fittings, and these.....

We help each other out quite a bit so he gave me the gauge set and the leak detector. Detector needs a new element ($35 on-line) but otherwise both seem to work.

Now I just need to figure out how to use them....

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Got one on friday. Astro 1442. Got it to put in rivet nuts to mount the visor on the cab instead of sheet metal screws. Gonna be tight close to the glass though.

Mine works great and I've used it quite a few times. Be careful with the smaller ones, I broke I think the 1/4 inch being too rough.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Mine works great and I've used it quite a few times. Be careful with the smaller ones, I broke I think the 1/4 inch being too rough.

I agree with this ^^. The biggest thing for me to get used to was that the handles aren’t completely closed when the insert is completely set. My mind wants to close / squeeze them all the way so I have to be mindful of that with each insert.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size

That’s the only way to do nutserts/rivnuts

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I agree with this ^^. The biggest thing for me to get used to was that the handles aren’t completely closed when the insert is completely set. My mind wants to close / squeeze them all the way so I have to be mindful of that with each insert.
I usually do mine progressively, so technically the handles will close sometimes but usually not, which I think is "better". Just gotta feel it out for each size really, you can always test one first in the open air, and get a visual of what it's doing.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
I really really want a 2" belt sander, but it's hard to find a decent one. Anyone have any experience and recommendations?
Belt sander or belt grinder? I have a 3/4 hp Dayton 2 by 42. It's a grinder, lemme go look, it turns 3450 rpm. Had it probably 12 years or more. No problems, have redesigned some guards and the platent. You'll find it's not an occasional use tool, you'll end up using it everytime your in the shop.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I picked these cool nut drivers up to try them out.
I have to say, I like them and am impressed with them.
The ends of the handles are clearly marked with both SAE and Metric sizes.
They worked pretty well in the junkyard.

I also picked up this self adjusting set of pliers.
They also worked well and made short work of the radiator and heater hoses I took off in the junkyard.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
Not exactly a "New Tool", but a good one anyway. I got tired of baby-ing my cell phone and/or messing with cases that are basically luck of the draw on quality etc., so I started looking into rugged phones a while back. Found a company called Blackview that makes rugged phones and bought one that included a thermal camera. After 2 years of heavy use, dropping it from my C5500 onto the concrete, taking it into the ocean for family pictures in the water, going swimming with it, dropping it countless times from normal height, and essentially NEVER having to fight a dead battery, I highly recommend it. When it was my daily, I charged it each night but it was typically on ~65% at the end of the day. Best thing is that it was about $500 outright.

I changed cell providers and it didn't work on the new network, and I got a heck of a deal on a "regular" Samsung, so I don't carry it daily anymore but I do use it regularly for music, googling stuff while working, and definitely the thermal camera for diagnosing stuff all the time. It's a good Toolbox phone, even after a few years I can charge it up and keep it in Airplane mode and get 5 days with wifi on. There's a newer version of their top-of-the-line model now, as well as a cheaper version.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Got some solder connectors and a heat gun. Let yall know how good they work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC