What new tools have you got lately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Yep!

I was just curious. My experiences with anything that has pto, is that they’re purely mechanical, like a manual trans or tcase..

However, my experiences are with tractors, not lawnmowers.

Clutch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Silverado crew cab dually
Engine Size
L82 350
Yep!

I was just curious. My experiences with anything that has pto, is that they’re purely mechanical, like a manual trans or tcase..

However, my experiences are with tractors, not lawnmowers.
It's like an A/C compressor clutch

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Finally got my HF air dryer hooked up and running. This is is the setup I had before, an air-to-air cooler on the first stage and a refrigerated cooler after the second stage. I had tried running all of the first stage through the air-to-air but it only had 1/4" lines in/out and was slowing things down so I added the bypass loop over the cylinder head so that only a portion of the volume was going through it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Got the HF cooler installed into the first stage but ran into a problem with the unit getting too hot.

There wasn't enough clearance on the left side for adequate air flow. The instructions say two feet of clearance but I just didn't have the space. I was hoping the tiny condenser fan inside this thing wouldn't care but it did, so I cut a hole in the wall and added a ventilation grate.

And then repurposed the puller fan from the original cooler onto the right side of the new one. You can see I previously did a similar trick with the gray cooler as well when it was installed. I took apart a regular ol' house fan and mounted it onto the top for additional air flow. Everything is wired to the compressor motor so it all turns on/off when the compressor does.

My garage has this long narrow hallway on one side for storage which is where the compressor sits. It's kind of handy though, I can shut the door to the hallway and it cuts down the noise when the compressor is running.

The outer garage area is where my air feed terminates. You can see the air line coming in at the floor and going up through two additional moisture traps, a conventional water trap and a desiccant filter before ending at the hose reel. The vent above is the other half of the new air intake. I'm surprised how much air is getting pulled through it, a paper towel sticks to it when the compressor is running.

The new cooler is performing well. I measured 152° at the inlet and 93° at the outlet. Every 20° drop in air temp releases 50% of the moisture trapped in the compressed air so much of the moisture is eliminated before going to the second stage.

Last edited:

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
About a year ago I bought CL special 60 Gallon air compressor. It is a consumer line model that is over 3 years old. It ran OK but the reed valve was shot and it would leak back through the pump. Two problems though: 1) parts are almost non existent and 2) we broke the manifold trying to disassemble it. Ooops. About 4 months ago my son acquired the old air compressor from work which is almost the same model only a bit newer. Unfortunately with various projects we just haven't had time to do anything with them. Last night we started tearing into that project. The first compressor had a bad pump. Second one had a bad motor. Motor transplant and we have a working 5HP 60 gallon air compressor for a total of $50. I'll check on the way out the door in a few minutes but when I went to bed there was no leak down.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Check out these guys for compressor parts. I did and they are good quality parts with fast delivery at reasonable prices.

https://tricitytoolparts.com/

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
They are not new, but new to me. Picked up a pair of timing lights at an auction this week. The Sears doesen't look like its ever been used, the Snapon is in average shape. Been looking for one for a while, figured $19 for the pair was a decent price. Guess it's time to do that tune up I've been putting off.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Found an older (1990) spark plug cleaner and comparator the other day...for Free, mmmm, my favorite! Probably a generational tool, but these were a necessity when I was a teen in the 80's since I couldn't afford nice cars and all my old hot rods burnt oil, lol.

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Retired the dinky A/F gauge I’ve had forever and picked up 2 Harbor Freight 4” gauges. Much more convenient on each carb vs swapping back and forth. Always has been a rough guess getting both carbs throttle blades set the same so they were inhaling the same amount of air. Got a Uni-sync and mounted it on a hard plastic carb dust cover. Rarely used but a very useful tool. Even found the front was sucking more than the rear so at least it did it’s job.

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Edit for above.... failed to include they are vacuum gauges to set A/F. Geesh

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I've been working on a collection over the past year, I now have a black set since this pic was taken.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Found an older (1990) spark plug cleaner and comparator the other day...for Free, mmmm, my favorite! Probably a generational tool, but these were a necessity when I was a teen in the 80's since I couldn't afford nice cars and all my old hot rods burnt oil, lol.

Those were used in the 70's and 80's. Alot of the younger guys probably won't remember the $49.95 tune ups at the budget places like Econo Lube & Tune chain. Now days we don't have to tune cars. They have computers that do it and everything stays efficient so it all lasts longer.

So a $49.95 tune up, they'd hook your car to the scope. Looked like an EKG for your heart but this was for your engine. You read the graphs and could tell what was wrong, which cylinder was affected this meant the plug wire could be bad, this meant the spark plug was bad, and it to many cylinders were affects then that pretty much meant the problem is in the cap & rotor. But, that's all $49.95 was. Hook it to the scope and read what was failing, replace just that and out the door it went. Sometimes It might just get a spark plug cleaned or replaced and put back in, rescan, looks good now. Sent it on it's way after the customer paid their $49.95.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
My dad found this on the side of the road when leaving a customer of his, still works. Bought a charger off of eBay and used it to take the wheel tubs and roll cage out of my friends 75 K5, worked pretty good and still had a charge at the end.

Picked these up at a local Re-Store for $10 total ($2ea) none of them worked when I grabbed them, but got home and threw the batteries on the chargers and they both charged up and seem to work fine and batteries seem to hold a pretty good charge still. So I guess I'll buy into the M18 line now.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Screws backed out of my old faithful ratchet(where do you get those things), wife got me a new mid grade one from H.F. seems okay. Only time will tell.

I have officially locked down my tool boxes at home.

Last edited:

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Started blasting, in the new cabinet, with upgrades... if you ever decide to get the HF blast cabinet spend the extra money and get the Tacoma stuff to upgrade it... You will not be dissapointed. I just need to go back and reseal the area around the hopper better than HF gives you stuff with which to do, otherwise you get pinhole leaks that turn into constant stuff spilled on the floor. Got some motorcycle parts in there along with the steering arm for a 4 inch lift kit!!!! Sorry the picture is a little fuzzy, had not cleaned the grit off my cell phone yet, lol. Found out while I was waiting on a few items that the pedal assembly got a little trash in it from a field mouse. he put some chewed up grass in the fitting valve and when I pressed it the valve stuck open, so right now I am taking it apart to seal the cabinet leaks on the hopper and already cleaned out the mouse debris. Too funny what little critters can do if left unattended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL