What lift kit did i just buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
So browsing the kijiji coffee and some one posted of this for 200 bucks. I said I'd be there for how ever it takes me to get to his place. The rear springs are 52s and look original so no good to me but the shackle flip may put me where I need to be with in dunno the lift of the front springs. He was a Ford guy and was in the box of a 54 he bought. The blocks are 4 inches and so is the arm. Shackle flip looks professionally welded.

You must be registered for see images attach

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
My bet is that’s a typical 4” kit without the shackle flip. The flip brackets look well built but homemade, I haven’t seen any built like that before (single gusset about the spring eye). With the flip brackets being basically even with the bottom of the frame I’d guess they are 2”-2.5” lift before any longer shackle.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Isn't the old trick for a flip is to use the front 2wd hanger in place of the rear 4wd & then flipping the swing?

HS

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Isn't the old trick for a flip is to use the front 2wd hanger in place of the rear 4wd & then flipping the swing?

HS

Yeah, I’ve seen it done with 2 and 4wd hangers (I doubt most folks realize there’s a difference).

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
4wd hangers drop down farther which lifts the frame & negates the use of a lift block. I figured this out when I was a young pup. I've had many birthdays & many Squares but still haven't done the flip myself tho...

HS

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
4wd hangers drop down farther which lifts the frame & negates the use of a lift block. I figured this out when I was a young pup. I've had many birthdays & many Squares but still haven't done the flip myself tho...

HS

Trivia; the first couple of years of K30’s used the short 2wd style hangers with blocks.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
K30 stuff is hard to come by in Central NC. Get out in the western mountains & see them more. I'm parting out an 80 which is also the oldest I've had. All others have been D30 CUCV. I didn't know that about the block on the rear. Thanks for the info.

HS

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Here's a few more pictures of the shackle drops. The welds on them actually look pretty good for a diy set. The shackle joint has a grease point aswell. Do we think it needs some extra bracing? Also its only held on by 4 bolts which not a fan of.

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
small looking bolts on them flips.
surprised the flips don't wrap under the frame. i have ORD 4" flips on my crew and they have 6 bolts. four on the side of the frame like yours and two underneath where it wraps under the frame, and their all 9/16.
they look fairly stout, but i would weld a plate on the bottom of them so you can add a couple more bolts down there and give it good rigidity and not "bend" your frame rails in.
my airbags literally bent the frame rails in approx 3/16" with just bolts on the side like your flips. to cure the bend, i straitened the frame rails then bolted in a 1/4" thick piece of angle iron to the frame rails, no more bending. if you don't want to weld a bottom piece in, would prob be a good idea to do like i did and add a crossmember right behind the flips.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I agree I need to add some materials to them to go to underside of frame and way bigger bolts. They hang down roughly 2 inches lower then the frame. I got some 4 inch angle iron laying around so will probably use that.

I cleaned up the springs and there rough country springs. They do not flex at all. I can jump on them and maybe get a half inch out of them. The 52s I get like 3 inches.

So my question is should I just ditch the rough country and run the 52s or can I take some leafs out of rough country springs to soften them up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1