What lift and tires are best for my 1990 Suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Giant Rock

Thank you! Its been alot of work, and still is (getting a new trans atm and needing paint soon) I'm not sure about that kit in particular. Mine is 2" blocks in the rear (not the best) and some brand of aftermarket lift springs in the front (was on it when I bought it, but I think skyjacker, or tuff country)

I've changed the shocks out for skyjacker m95s with poly bushings, I also used ORD's Kevlar leaf spring bushings, ORD's upgraded front spring shackles, and their sway bar quick disconnect kit. All of the body bushings and engine/trans mounts etc. are new regular rubber. All in all I've been very happy with it. I am sure there are better setups out there, especially on the rear end.

I've also been pretty envious of the ones on here with 35s and 4" lifts. But I fear my gearing and 700r4 wouldn't like turning anything bigger then 33s.

Last edited:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Damn your truck looks good. Yeah I'm thinking 4inch is the way to go. Specifically this one, it comes with a front steering arm and I will also purchase the recommended sway bar bracket. That should be all I need right? https://www.morris4x4center.com/rou...W_GWeJrXJqtv4tfbDwiNVafymHaRaF3oaAkA6EALw_wcB

I would go with Tuff Country springs, as Rough Country really is rough.. over sprung, and most others are as well. No flex, which is good if you want to run larger tires and sorta not touch rubber to metal. Even if you're not really goining to off road
and twist it up, you'll still get a far better ride with the Tuff Country.
Get them at https://www.offroaddesign.com/suspension/leaf-springs-add-a-leafs/tuff-country.html.

You can build your lift 'kit' from these guys as you see fit. They know squares better than anyone.

Shocks... price goes up with effectiveness.

You should replace and upgrade your rear springs too... they are sacked. They take a beating on Berbs.. As you lift the front end it will transfer more duty to the rear and well...

I would consider 3" of spring lift and 1" Zero Rates also from ORD. You would get an even smoother ride with long shocks, really good flexy travel. The less arch the better the spring works.

Another gem is the HD grease-able front shackles they make. Your stock ones need to be replaced anyway, even if they look ok (they're not). Oh wait, they might be upgraded on your truck like they did with the K30s later 80's...?

IF you actually want to off road and get twisted, even a 4" lift and 33s will rub. Mud tires are worse. 4" springs and remember the zero rates I mentioned... they have offset spring holes so you can move you axle forward an inch. Then trim the fender 'fangs' like up to the marker light and you might just have enough room for 35s with some moderate flex.

Longer shocks and modded upper shock mounts and unhook swaybar for more articulation fun.

And did I mention bead locks and a BB?

Giant Rock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
I would go with Tuff Country springs, as Rough Country really is rough.. over sprung, and most others are as well. No flex, which is good if you want to run larger tires and sorta not touch rubber to metal. Even if you're not really goining to off road
and twist it up, you'll still get a far better ride with the Tuff Country.
Get them at https://www.offroaddesign.com/suspension/leaf-springs-add-a-leafs/tuff-country.html.

You can build your lift 'kit' from these guys as you see fit. They know squares better than anyone.

Shocks... price goes up with effectiveness.

You should replace and upgrade your rear springs too... they are sacked. They take a beating on Berbs.. As you lift the front end it will transfer more duty to the rear and well...

I would consider 3" of spring lift and 1" Zero Rates also from ORD. You would get an even smoother ride with long shocks, really good flexy travel. The less arch the better the spring works.

Another gem is the HD grease-able front shackles they make. Your stock ones need to be replaced anyway, even if they look ok (they're not). Oh wait, they might be upgraded on your truck like they did with the K30s later 80's...?

IF you actually want to off road and get twisted, even a 4" lift and 33s will rub. Mud tires are worse. 4" springs and remember the zero rates I mentioned... they have offset spring holes so you can move you axle forward an inch. Then trim the fender 'fangs' like up to the marker light and you might just have enough room for 35s with some moderate flex.

Longer shocks and modded upper shock mounts and unhook swaybar for more articulation fun.

And did I mention bead locks and a BB?

Hey Shiftpro thanks for the info!! Did some research based on your recommendation and it appears you are totally right. Rough Country is ROUGH! And that is absolutely not what I want. Looks like the Tuff Country EZ ride would be perfect. Do you think I would be safe to just order the exact shopping cart recommended for the "Burly Burb" you linked to?

Giant Rock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
Also this is weird but I have what I think is stock suspension, which is even sagging it appears, and I have 33's on right now that don't rub at all. Is that unusual?

OzarkRunner

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500
Engine Size
Also this is weird but I have what I think is stock suspension, which is even sagging it appears, and I have 33's on right now that don't rub at all. Is that unusual?
I got my 33's before the lift, and I didn't notice any rub in that couple of weeks before the lift went on. However, I didn't really have it offroad or flexed out in that couple of weeks, either.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9

I think this is what you were looking for ;) leave out a W in www. and you get their old site.
http://ww.offroaddesign.com/action/burly-burb.htm

This is mine with stock suspension and 33x10.5's. Eventually will be 2" and 35's.

You must be registered for see images attach

If you're looking to do some rock crawling to get to your rock climbing I would suggest a 4" and 35's with a little trimming. Like others suggested www.offroaddesign.com is your best bet for fullsize truck stuff. They live and breathe Squarebodies. I've never had a problem with poly bushings, never heard them squeak or increase vibration but I guess to each his own. I guess it depends on what you can tolerate. You might want to look at doing a shackle flip in the rear rather than springs. It's cheaper and gives a better ride.

Also, glad to see you have barn doors on that beauty :happy107:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I would go with Tuff Country springs, as Rough Country really is rough.. over sprung, and most others are as well. No flex, which is good if you want to run larger tires and sorta not touch rubber to metal.

I must have Rough Country front springs, cause my truck feels like it could haul a 8' Western plow no problem!

Just looked at ORD site. Wow, they have some cool stuff, but do they actually sell stuff at those prices? $2-3000 just for a set of leafs, some 5100s and shackles? Not even accounting for the steering? Their "standard" lifts are re-packaged brands that you could outfit the same for half the price.
I could see the market for flat brim hat brodozer guys who don't know how to change their own oil, but one would think the majority of guys with older trucks and doing serious off roading wouldn't have much trouble putting together the same setup from SDspring and Napa!

TubeTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
I must have Rough Country front springs, cause my truck feels like it could haul a 8' Western plow no problem!

Just looked at ORD site. Wow, they have some cool stuff, but do they actually sell stuff at those prices? $2-3000 just for a set of leafs, some 5100s and shackles? Not even accounting for the steering? Their "standard" lifts are re-packaged brands that you could outfit the same for half the price.
I could see the market for flat brim hat brodozer guys who don't know how to change their own oil, but one would think the majority of guys with older trucks and doing serious off roading wouldn't have much trouble putting together the same setup from SDspring and Napa!

The more expensive kits are "tuned" to your truck. They aren't off the shelf parts. They want to know everything about your truck, weight ratios, intended usage, lift, tires, engine, HP/Torque, etc. and they put together a package that is perfect for your truck. They custom make their own front springs and all their parts.

The standard kits include everything. As their site says
"ORD has assembled a line of complete lift systems for the ’73-’87 ('91) GM straight axle trucks using ORD designed parts like our Swaybar Correction/Disconnect system, Shackle Flip kit, and greasable HD shackles along with Tuff Country springs for a truly complete suspension system.

The often missed details like brakelines and steering correction are even part of the kit, literally everything you need except for installation elves is included."

In my 20+ years of building these trucks I don't know of any other company that includes everything, which is why their prices seem higher. It's a one-stop-shop.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I think this is what you were looking for ;) leave out a W in www. and you get their old site.
http://ww.offroaddesign.com/action/burly-burb.htm

This is mine with stock suspension and 33x10.5's. Eventually will be 2" and 35's.

You must be registered for see images attach

If you're looking to do some rock crawling to get to your rock climbing I would suggest a 4" and 35's with a little trimming. Like others suggested www.offroaddesign.com is your best bet for fullsize truck stuff. They live and breathe Squarebodies. I've never had a problem with poly bushings, never heard them squeak or increase vibration but I guess to each his own. I guess it depends on what you can tolerate. You might want to look at doing a shackle flip in the rear rather than springs. It's cheaper and gives a better ride.

Also, glad to see you have barn doors on that beauty :happy107:
Your burb is so good lookin!!!

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!

Those are the custom multi leaf packs with thin leafs. Deaver copies... they are awesome and if you rode in a truck equipped with these you wouldn't believe how nice a leaf sprung truck can ride.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Those are the custom multi leaf packs with thin leafs. Deaver copies... they are awesome and if you rode in a truck equipped with these you wouldn't believe how nice a leaf sprung truck can ride.
Understood, on the custom setups, which are in the $3k range all in.

TubeTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
Your burb is so good lookin!!!
I need to get an updated pic. That was about a year ago I believe. It still looks the same however lol

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The standard kits include everything. As their site says
"ORD has assembled a line of complete lift systems for the ’73-’87 ('91) GM straight axle trucks using ORD designed parts like our Swaybar Correction/Disconnect system, Shackle Flip kit, and greasable HD shackles along with Tuff Country springs for a truly complete suspension system.

The often missed details like brakelines and steering correction are even part of the kit, literally everything you need except for installation elves is included."

In my 20+ years of building these trucks I don't know of any other company that includes everything, which is why their prices seem higher. It's a one-stop-shop.

I get it, I just priced out a "standard" ORD lift with EZ rides and shocks, brake lines, etc and came up close to $1900 with bilstein shocks.
It's not quite as bad as I thought, but you can buy the same EZ ride kits for under $1000 add brake lines and a drop steering arm for $200 and you're $500 cheaper easily.

What am I missing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshuOne