What lift and tires are best for my 1990 Suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Giant Rock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
Right now my Suburban has stock suspension, I think at least, and 33 inch tires. Currently I am leaning towards a Rancho 2inch lift (my leaf springs and shocks need replacing anyway so why not add a little ground clearance) and sticking with 33 inch tires. I believe this means I wouldn't need to make any major adjustments to the steering or drive line stuff. Also feels like this would be a good balance for desert off roading and not be too tippy. BUT in the back of my mind I'm worried later I'm going to wish I went big for the 4 or 6 inch lift and 35inch tires...what do you guys think?

You must be registered for see images attach

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a 2" and 33x12.5 on 16.5s on my k20. I like it, it works well. But a 4" and 33s still looks good and would allow the right 35s if you wanted to change in the future. I do believe over 4" you'll have to change some steering parts. Gearing also would come into play with 35s.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
i have a 3in lift and 33s. the stance and capability is good for trails around the farm and I dont do anything crazy. i added a sway bar relocation/quick disconnect from offroad design. it may not have been necessary, but I also did add a drop pitman arm. everything else on the drive train and steering is stock. i wouldn't go bigger than 33s unless you plan to regear (i have 3.73 and it is adequate, not great). 35s will be painful with 3.73....

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I'm stock on 31's with an add a leaf. I forget which company. Below are before and after shots. I know you said lift but...

Stock and sagging:
You must be registered for see images

Add a leaf installed:

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
My truck had a 4" lift when I got it, & I believe the drop pitman arm. It had 33's.

Here it is with brand new 33's by the curb:

Here it is next to my old factory height '91 - the rear springs were re-arched on the '91 so the tail sits a bit higher :

There is no telling how long that 4" lift has been on there meaning that it may have sagged as the 33's rub under full turn on concrete.

I'd probably go 2" lift if it was me to lessen driveline issues.

I do not understand the rub now as the '77 I had stock height fit 33's, but that was also on springs that were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay newer. :D

Britt

Last edited:

Giant Rock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
I have a 2" and 33x12.5 on 16.5s on my k20. I like it, it works well. But a 4" and 33s still looks good and would allow the right 35s if you wanted to change in the future. I do believe over 4" you'll have to change some steering parts. Gearing also would come into play with 35s.

Damn your truck looks good. Yeah I'm thinking 4inch is the way to go. Specifically this one, it comes with a front steering arm and I will also purchase the recommended sway bar bracket. That should be all I need right? https://www.morris4x4center.com/rou...W_GWeJrXJqtv4tfbDwiNVafymHaRaF3oaAkA6EALw_wcB

Giant Rock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
I'm stock on 31's with an add a leaf. I forget which company. Below are before and after shots. I know you said lift but...

Stock and sagging:

Add a leaf installed:
Looks good, thanks for the comparison pics.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I have that kit along with a front sway bar kit and front leaf spring kit sitting in the box. I was reading it makes the ride stiffer, then I read it makes the ride firmer, then I read they squeak. I think I'm gonna end up selling my stuff and replacing with OEM style bushings. I think someone like yourself who will be doing more than cruising and getting groceries may be better served with the kit. A firmer ride would be fine, I dont want to get this boat riding like my 3/4 ton Ram.

My only actual experience with poly bushings was in my 99 Trans Am with poly trans and engine mounts. I didnt like the vibration it added so I went back to OEM style. Just my opinion so take it for face value.

On a side note if you want NIB poly bushings I'd be willing to sell em to you.

As for the labor involved, that depends on the local shop rate and when/if they find rusted body mounts or other rust issues. It can be opening a can of worms. Less likely on the west coast vehicles, though.

Giant Rock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
I have that kit along with a front sway bar kit and front leaf spring kit sitting in the box. I was reading it makes the ride stiffer, then I read it makes the ride firmer, then I read they squeak. I think I'm gonna end up selling my stuff and replacing with OEM style bushings. I think someone like yourself who will be doing more than cruising and getting groceries may be better served with the kit. A firmer ride would be fine, I dont want to get this boat riding like my 3/4 ton Ram.

My only actual experience with poly bushings was in my 99 Trans Am with poly trans and engine mounts. I didnt like the vibration it added so I went back to OEM style. Just my opinion so take it for face value.

On a side note if you want NIB poly bushings I'd be willing to sell em to you.

As for the labor involved, that depends on the local shop rate and when/if they find rusted body mounts or other rust issues. It can be opening a can of worms. Less likely on the west coast vehicles, though.

Oh man thanks for the insight. I was worried about the stiffness with the poly. I can't seem to find rubber...are there rubber kits out there? I drive a ton of washboard dirt roads and increasing the stiffness is NOT something I wanna do. I want this thing to ride like my uncles 1983 Buick LeSabre lol.

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size

Stock and sagging:

Add a leaf installed:

Did you do the add-a-leaf in just the rear or the front too? Did the ride change much? I like the stance/height of your burb!

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Oh man thanks for the insight. I was worried about the stiffness with the poly. I can't seem to find rubber...are there rubber kits out there? I drive a ton of washboard dirt roads and increasing the stiffness is NOT something I wanna do. I want this thing to ride like my uncles 1983 Buick LeSabre lol.

Yea thats the problem. I dunno if/who sells them. I'm sure someone who has ridden on a set will chime in.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Did you do the add-a-leaf in just the rear or the front too? Did the ride change much? I like the stance/height of your burb!

Thanks! Add a leaf only in the rear. Same wheels, tires, and shocks before and after. Ride got a bit stiffer in the back but not annoyingly stiff. It is a 30 year old square on a truck chassis.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
4" with 35 12.50s (actual just over 33" in pic), but on a K20. K10 should be a bit lower, but 4" lift only requires springs (or rear blocks which is the cheap way to go, but not counterproductive unless you're making alot of power, IMO), shocks, brake lines (although my truck is still running stock brake lines un clipped form the frame and a drop steering arm or drop drag link.
If I was replacing the suspension and going off road in a long truck like a Suburban, I'd go 4" lift and 33s. No driveline mods or axle shimming necessary.

OzarkRunner

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500
Engine Size
Here's my '90. 4" BDS all spring lift, drop pitman arm, and 35" tires. She ran great with the stock 3.42 rear on the highway (in 3rd gear, never overdrive) when I had 33" tires, but went to 4.56 gears when I went up to 35" tires. Now runs great in overdrive when i get above 45 mph, and hums along just fine on the highway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406