what is the easiest way to swap an LS motor into a K10?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfasaur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I can get an LS 5.3 out of a Silverado with 104K miles for $400 and it has all the wiring. Should this be an easy swap? Does anyone make a list of the small parts needed?

That’s a really good deal if it’s a good running engine. If you can hear it run or at least to a thorough inspection (and I mean thorough: if you have to rebuild an LS it gets expensive real quick), I would snatch that up before someone else does.

There is lots of folks out there that have lists of parts, but the problem is that everyone tackles things just a bit differently... Tejas Steelworks has a good LS swap into C10 guide that would be a great place to start on a Parts list. It’s in the files section of the square body LS swap Facebook group.

I’d recommend reading up on the various areas you’ll need to tackle (fuel system, motor mounts, trans crossmember if you’re swapping trannies, AC, power steering, etc), and then researching what everyone else has done and seeing what will work best for your swap.

Having my swap 96% complete at the moment and looking back I would say it’s really not that hard, but just make sure you do your research before going out and buying a bunch of parts. I made that mistake and then got stuck with certain parts because months later I realized I should’ve gotten different parts but I already had stuff that I couldn’t return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I'd noticed how close it was, so I used the hoist to raise it as much as the dingo mounts would allow. Cranked the crap outta of the bolts and it's still in the same position.

@smurfasaur yeh I wasted money on the 4l60e neutral safety switch. I ended up bypassing it and didn't need one in place at all. I utilized the steering columns neutral safety feature on these vehicles.

smurfasaur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'd noticed how close it was, so I used the hoist to raise it as much as the dingo mounts would allow. Cranked the crap outta of the bolts and it's still in the same position.

@smurfasaur yeh I wasted money on the 4l60e neutral safety switch. I ended up bypassing it and didn't need one in place at all. I utilized the steering columns neutral safety feature on these vehicles.

That’s a good idea!! If I ever tear down again I’ll probably try that.

I went back and forth about the neutral safety switch because my 60e didn’t come with one but I went with just using the column safety as well. Still not sure if my reverse lights will work but I’ll figure that out later lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
guessing you did an LS swap. If you did, the neutral safety switch on the trans has nothing to do with the reverse lights. Your reverse lights are controlled by the steering column neutral safety switch.....not the neutral safety switch on the 4l60e.

Jeff Hudak

Reaction score
First Name
jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
hey, off road designs makes a crossmember replacement for a ls squarebody swap, its nice looking too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1