What do you think about these steering wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I had a wooden wheel similar to that in my '64 Elky way back when. Had to make a panic stop one day and my death grip on the wheel separated the spoke from the rim. The rim went towards the dashboard and the spoke tried to stab me in the chest. Not a fan of the wooden wheels after that.

The newer ones are constructed differently (like shown in pic).

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I wanted one of those steering wheels for my truck at one time. Go black!

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I actually had the chance to handle both of the wheels in question before I bought mine. The black looks a little bit better in photos, but it feels like crap in your hands. The grip is made of this wierd cheesy sponge-rubber like stuff, and doesn't have finger grooves on the backside. I liked the look of the wood better overall, but the finger grooved backside sold me on it completely. That and my wife wouldn't let me replace the old one if the new wheel didn't have finger grooves (women, I know...) Either way they both look and feel better than the cruddy old original wheel, you can't go wrong!

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I actually had the chance to handle both of the wheels in question before I bought mine. The black looks a little bit better in photos, but it feels like crap in your hands. The grip is made of this wierd cheesy sponge-rubber like stuff, and doesn't have finger grooves on the backside. I liked the look of the wood better overall, but the finger grooved backside sold me on it completely. That and my wife wouldn't let me replace the old one if the new wheel didn't have finger grooves (women, I know...) Either way they both look and feel better than the cruddy old original wheel, you can't go wrong!

I'd avoid the black foam wheel. I ended up buying one for my 67 a while back and the foam doesn't hold up well at all unless you get a cover, like the laced leather kits that were popular back in the day.

Brandon_l1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
I like the black handle. Never was big on wood grain looks weird unless your driving a bentley, and wheres the fun in that? lol

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I was all sold on the black one until I saw 85k10's pic with the wood grain......I'm like 60/40 now, but still in favor of the black. Those are the only AM wheels I've seen that I like also. Most of the grant stuff l've seen looks more at home in a drag car. I guess that's good if that's the look you're going with, but not for keeping a clean, classic look.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
bought the wooden one tonight ;)

Domer

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6-71 Blown 355
Here is mine. I love the mahogany wheel, i have the wood strip on the passenger side, but its going away...
You must be registered for see images

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That looks nice,and,not skinny like the other one.I like a wheel I can get a good grip on,must be something todo wit that arthritis from wrenching all them years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB