What defined the shape of a SM465 shifter? The rod part

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
5'9" 150# wow if only.
One of the reasons I built a square body is because I can fit in it (sort of.)
I'm giddy like a school girl when I find gloves for sale I can get my hands in.
Get that. Big hands can be a pain.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
One of the best things about having a bench seat! We used to fit four across in my truck... was a tight squeeze, but well worth it if the right girl was sitting next to me. Also one of the few times an automatic trans worked best.
wouldnt be nice if you are trying to reverse and anyone who isnt a SO is sitting there. such as like, a male cousin with the only alternative his weird friend. i had to backup and they were with i just said here you can put this down to the right LOL

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Find a shifter from a SM420 and drop it in the hole.
Perfect interchange and a LOT more comfortable to shift the gears.
well I actually have one of those laying around funny enough i didnt think about that. doestn the reverse switch interfere with a non-reverse switch sm420?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Find a shifter from a SM420 and drop it in the hole.
Perfect interchange and a LOT more comfortable to shift the gears.
You must be registered for see images attach

so funny enough i have a pic of the cover just short of showing shifter but you see the prop brake on the back of it. i will have to go out and look at it again lol. center pic is mine atm for comparison. I kinda see what you are saying if that was the same(from novack that first pic is sm420.) it looks like the shifter would prob maybe go near where reverse will be close to you and maybe just like where the 2nd one is, just to the left? (reverse is down left i think in 420 is why I say that)

assuming that my eyeball of the geometry is right lol.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Channeling another member here :

SH!TCAN IT !! Slushbox swap.

:dogpile:

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
wouldnt be nice if you are trying to reverse and anyone who isnt a SO is sitting there. such as like, a male cousin with the only alternative his weird friend. i had to backup and they were with i just said here you can put this down to the right LOL
Sûrement pas! Non!

Can't say my luck's been much better since I left Montana and Utah for Arizona. Most recent girlfriend sat all the way on the passenger side because the center seatbelt has no shoulder harness. Never had a SO who liked cars, trucks, and mechanical things even a little. And I'm fresh outta cousins with weird friends! Thankful for the latter.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Channeling another member here :

SH!TCAN IT !! Slushbox swap.

:dogpile:
inappropiate most definitely especially with no building work, but that monza muncie on my shelf or the saginaw 3 speed my dad uses as a ballast on his lawn tractor with a blade on it(I laughed so hard when I saw it lol) would be slappin to put in. but probably grossly inappropiate in my truck because 4wd and also heavy as **** 3/4 ton with 4.10

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
inappropiate most definitely especially with no building work, but that monza muncie on my shelf or the saginaw 3 speed my dad uses as a ballast on his lawn tractor with a blade on it(I laughed so hard when I saw it lol) would be slappin to put in. but probably grossly inappropiate in my truck because 4wd and also heavy as **** 3/4 ton with 4.10

I am not too sure a 4 speed is inappropriate for a low speed work truck used in plowing or pulling, but, if converting from an auto sounds like too much work for me ! :anitoof:

Also - I like my auto.

However, Goldie is neither used for plowing or pulling heavy trailers, so it works for me.

Plus, I have a 5 speed car for when I feel the need to shift. Yes, it is wrong wheel drive, but that is just the way they made the Cobalt SS's.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
ive had 4 speeds in just about everything except an 88 cutlass, a 99 saturn, a * next to the squares speeds since its 3 normal ones but 4 forwards :), a 77 LTD, a 77 electra, and then ones that litter the graveyard here at home but that means 97% of road time has been powered by 4 ratios that were mostly automatic but with fun exceptions and i would say they all have met my needs sufficiently. 3 speeds there have been instances where the limitations of the ratios would obviously show its head but they werent limits in the then only in the what if

if i want to get romantic, the 97% of road time is further broken down to be about 70% pushrod gasoline engines and Ive never felt i was lacking or at a disadvantage with these vehicles.

however, the prospect of automatic 6, even more(anyone do an auto 5 in a pass car?) Is just a prospect that actually alarms me and gets exponenitally more so the more speeds and newer and more FCA they get. Infact, I would be hindering myself with more speeds. thats the takeaway I will cherish here. Why do I drive grandma cars and fix things that are ugly or rusty or both? Out of necessity, because these are no made new and they are all I have. it puts a rightoues attitude in and frankly justifies many means and lowers future instances of doubt because this is for the right cause and I wouldnt want to do something brash or unthinking and end up in a 8 speed cherokee or a 10 speed F150 (LOL)

Thank you for helping put a reason to the fight goldie. we needed it. in realsies tho, you dont think the monza 4 speed(forgot that was 4 speed, i meant 4 instead of 3 in last post of my dad) would be a little... at odds with my truck especially with overweighted plow blades and snow banks and other $$$ unwise but necessary or normal usage especially at low speed. i dont know the first ratio but the shaft size, internals... casing... is all HD all the way down to a chevette type car plus a little bit of competency to a heavy truck? I am just assuming they would be different like a large full size car muncie i suspect would be fine if not needing the 6.__ ratio of sm465 or towing and stuff. maybe?

Attachments

• IMG_2983.PNG
    IMG_2983.PNG
    688.5 KB · Views: 61

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128