What defined the shape of a SM465 shifter? The rod part

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
So Im sure no one has ever thought of this before but I am curious if anyone knows. A google search only found me that some one ton late 60s trucks would have a double bend instead of the single kink which from appearances seems standard?

THese two are the same shape. the one in the corner of pic is hard to make out but its a one bend pretty sure, much like the one on a 77 frame(one in corner is 80 gmc original sm465)
You must be registered for see images attach

And I was complaining to someone about how my trucks hits the seat in reverse which made me realize the one on frame was shaped different. Because the chrome is in good shape, i dont think it was custom bent..? Or maybe the later 80s models had that shape? Bucket seats? If the seat were forward, at all, it would be weirder and weirder to use that shifter in a bench truck, but then if it were the original, it would clear the seat easy. Are they interchangeable? I would like the furhter away but more in the air shifter in the future since it wouldnt hit and my arm could reach it fine(im sure I could heat and bend if needed anyway) but food for thought i guess.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
One way to find out.
Get out Your gigantic size water pump pliers, get ahold of that top lever retainer, press it down, give it about a 1/4 turn anti clockwise and popp them outta the hole. Install is the reverse of install, and, it helps to have them in neutral before messingk wit them levers.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
One way to find out.
Get out Your gigantic size water pump pliers, get ahold of that top lever retainer, press it down, give it about a 1/4 turn anti clockwise and popp them outta the hole. Install is the reverse of install, and, it helps to have them in neutral before messingk wit them levers.
i may take this plunge sometime but before I do, i may consider removing the hump panel and replacing with another one I have. I just guess without comparing, do you know if the floor shift manual with a t case cutout hump was the same for all the years? like the rise should be the same and the sm465 would ideally sit the same and i guess im not sure about the various t case options but if they were the same or wouldnt be hard to make work.. I would prob replace mine. Because of soggy carpet the hump panel is pretty eh and I have a nice one, even painted the same as color as my cab, but IM not too certain. I would also use new fastneers because it looks like self tappers and spray foam are what seal/hold my current one. No idea the factory setup but it seems a little crude to me...

and oh you dont need to remove the top shifter fork levers and **** that are bolted on you can just do the lever? thats pretty wizzard

would their be any reason or advantage to the whole top assembly or should i just go get big pliers.(Also, I know what you mean by water pump pliers, but why are they called that? Is the only difference from "channel locks" being the jaw shape?

I got some big green and blue handled pairs and compliance sticks and tools of various kinds so I shouldnt have trouble on the how lol. how big is that retainer anyway like 3-4 inches? I may have a perfect suited pair if its right size lol

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
The 5' 9" 150 pound (not sure the weight is correct, but it is close) American male human. What everything was engineered around back then. So, if you ain't 5'9" it ain't "right". Heat it up and bend it to fit you, just has to clear the dash. Personally I extend all mine 6"... I believe, been a while since I made one?.... then it is just right for me.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The 5' 9" 150 pound (not sure the weight is correct, but it is close) American male human. What everything was engineered around back then. So, if you ain't 5'9" it ain't "right". Heat it up and bend it to fit you, just has to clear the dash. Personally I extend all mine 6"... I believe, been a while since I made one?.... then it is just right for me.
were any of yours 2wd and do you think that would affect any of this too?

also, Im 5'8 but smaller frame but I havent measured but my legs probably are longer than the top half and my arms seem short but they are proportionally long enough I guess for many things. Its why I can use the non tilt and and also sit all way back and reaaaaach lol. I kind of stare just above the steering wheel tho, gain alttitude on a bump occasionally but its kinda fun because you play good luck everything else when moving and trying to manuever things. Im used to using low to ground cars and this is jacked up and high rise for my lifestyle(i dont think i would like a lifted truck then) but I definitely value seeing lol. But when in the square if I cant see it and if i hit things the square will be fine so I can only be mad at myself if i didnt move something before hand or blame someone else if they made the mistake of putting something in my intended path. they made their choice.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
were any of yours 2wd and do you think that would affect any of this too?

also, Im 5'8 but smaller frame but I havent measured but my legs probably are longer than the top half and my arms seem short but they are proportionally long enough I guess for many things. Its why I can use the non tilt and and also sit all way back and reaaaaach lol. I kind of stare just above the steering wheel tho, gain alttitude on a bump occasionally but its kinda fun because you play good luck everything else when moving and trying to manuever things. Im used to using low to ground cars and this is jacked up and high rise for my lifestyle(i dont think i would like a lifted truck then) but I definitely value seeing lol. But when in the square if I cant see it and if i hit things the square will be fine so I can only be mad at myself if i didnt move something before hand or blame someone else if they made the mistake of putting something in my intended path. they made their choice.
Yes, have been and are both now 2 and 4 wheel drive, no diffreance. Try to extend the shifter out, make it longer and see if it "fits" better. They just always seemed to short to me, suspect it's for the benefit of the one riding *****?

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm sure some engineer got paid big bucks to figure out the bends. Of course, when the GMT 800 C/K trucks came out they only had one bend.

As far as the long down throw of reverse. The piece on the the end of the shifter is held in be a drift pin which can become loose after years of use. Installing a new drift pin will tighten this up.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I'm sure some engineer got paid big bucks to figure out the bends. Of course, when the GMT 800 C/K trucks came out they only had one bend.

As far as the long down throw of reverse. The piece on the the end of the shifter is held in be a drift pin which can become loose after years of use. Installing a new drift pin will tighten this up.
but the curvature of my sm465 shifter is nonetheless more complex than my original or the 77, do you know what the change was made for or when it was?

Also, this pin you say, would that pin also make neutral hard to discern from even first and to a lesser extent 2nd? If I do the wiggle test to make sure im not in gear Its a 1/5 i am either unsure or I foolishly clutch out and JERK whoops was in gear. But at that point I dont usually do anything because Its how i keep it from rolling away. But it would be nice if it was more.... distinct. Like one day I spent 20 seconds trying to figure out if neutral was neutral because it was basically the same and the shifter position vaguely was in the same area and i even slowly clutched to find It was in gear even. Its not always like that. But its annoying.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yes, have been and are both now 2 and 4 wheel drive, no diffreance. Try to extend the shifter out, make it longer and see if it "fits" better. They just always seemed to short to me, suspect it's for the benefit of the one riding *****?
if I ever have a middle passenger again that could be downright romantic <3

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Was a mighty busy day yesterday so just getting back to You @AuroraGirl
Channel locks and water pump pliers is the same, I dont know why they call them whut they callum.
The floor pans will innerchange and I believe the hump height was the same for all the four weeeel drive units.
Dont necessarily need the WP pliers to remove that 1/4 turn top nut thing. A couple of screwing drivers placed against the little bead just above the top of the cover will work, use the corner tip of the screwing drivers, push down real hard and then make a counter clockwise push on the cap.
There is a heavy duty little short spring under the cap so it does take some force.
It might be that the spring to select reverse is getting weak, why its difficult to determine if it is in neutral.
The entire cover can be removed, be sure the tires are blocked and shifter is in neutral before lifting the cover.
The cover can be dismantled, just be careful to not loose any of those detent balls and springs. The expansion plugs in the ends can be purchased at a parts store. I doubt that the balls or springs can be had new, unless You find an online source.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Was a mighty busy day yesterday so just getting back to You @AuroraGirl
Channel locks and water pump pliers is the same, I dont know why they call them whut they callum.
The floor pans will innerchange and I believe the hump height was the same for all the four weeeel drive units.
Dont necessarily need the WP pliers to remove that 1/4 turn top nut thing. A couple of screwing drivers placed against the little bead just above the top of the cover will work, use the corner tip of the screwing drivers, push down real hard and then make a counter clockwise push on the cap.
There is a heavy duty little short spring under the cap so it does take some force.
It might be that the spring to select reverse is getting weak, why its difficult to determine if it is in neutral.
The entire cover can be removed, be sure the tires are blocked and shifter is in neutral before lifting the cover.
The cover can be dismantled, just be careful to not loose any of those detent balls and springs. The expansion plugs in the ends can be purchased at a parts store. I doubt that the balls or springs can be had new, unless You find an online source.
I have 3 sm465, assuming they all are the same cover(2 10 spline 4wd, 1 32 or whatever 4wd) but I ask only because the cover of my original is laying off the trans in the corner
you can see the gasket and the shifter laying flat while the trans is... chilling out upside down?

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have 3 sm465, assuming they all are the same cover(2 10 spline 4wd, 1 32 or whatever 4wd) but I ask only because the cover of my original is laying off the trans in the corner
you can see the gasket and the shifter laying flat while the trans is... chilling out upside down?

O boy yeah. At least it is up side down. Keeps the dust out. Might want to be sure that the open end is closed up. Keep out them rabid mouses.

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
if I ever have a middle passenger again that could be downright romantic <3
One of the best things about having a bench seat! We used to fit four across in my truck... was a tight squeeze, but well worth it if the right girl was sitting next to me. Also one of the few times an automatic trans worked best.

Grumpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5'9" 150# wow if only.
One of the reasons I built a square body is because I can fit in it (sort of.)
I'm giddy like a school girl when I find gloves for sale I can get my hands in.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Find a shifter from a SM420 and drop it in the hole.
Perfect interchange and a LOT more comfortable to shift the gears.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey