What am I missing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

transportjockey

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
454 V8
I'm trying to pull my gauge cluster and I have removed all the bolts, but it feels like trying to get it out, I'm going to break it. Is there some hidden bolt I'm not seeing? Or is there some trick to getting it out that I'm not getting? I just need to space to work on wiring at this point.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
The Speedo cable maybe?

Sent from the dust in front of you!

transportjockey

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
454 V8
The Speedo cable maybe?

Does that need to be removed before it can come out? And BTW, I mean it won't even come off the dash, it feels like to move it even an inch away, I'm going to break something.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yup you may try and push the cable from inside the engine compartment to confirm. I been taking mine out lately to add oil, a/f, tach, volt meter

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Btw there is a tab you have to pull down on to release the cable from the back of the Speedo

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Here is the trick to releasing the cluster bucket from the steel dash frame:

The bucket is designed to be inside (towards the firewall) on the bottom lip and outside (towards the steering wheel) on the top.

Pull the top of the bucket inwards (towards you) - as far as you feel comfortable with. Then get your fingers down under the bucket and push up on the bottom until the lower edge can clear the lip of the steel frame. Then pull the bottom of the bucket inwards.

It may take a little finesse, but at some point you'll have the top and bottom popped out of the frame.

BTW - it's way easier to unclip the cable from the back of the speedometer after you have the bucket clear of the dash frame. Clean and lubricate the cable sheathing at the firewall penetration and push some of the slack through the grommet. Then, when you start to pull the instrument panel into the cab, the cable will come right along with it. When you have room for your hand - unclip it.

Recent discussion on this same subject:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9238&highlight=speedometer

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michaelmarine53