What am I looking at?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Did it actually have a high stall converter or was the trans slipping?

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Take a look on searchtempest.com and search arizona and cali craigslist. I missed out on a 90 2500 Suburban with 0 rust for $800!!!! Woulda paid double that to ship it to my house in PA but whatever. Just be careful, I'm in no way advocating giving a stranger money to buy a car site unseen.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Take a look on searchtempest.com and search arizona and cali craigslist. I missed out on a 90 2500 Suburban with 0 rust for $800!!!! Woulda paid double that to ship it to my house in PA but whatever. Just be careful, I'm in no way advocating giving a stranger money to buy a car site unseen.

Search tempest misses too many ads
I use CL , pick a town and click “include nearby areas “
Keep a note pad of which towns you’ve searched

I wouldn’t feel comfortable sending money to a complete stranger but I have hired a local mechanic or some one who was on an active member with a good reputation on a site like this one
to go inspect the vehicle and then sent the mechanic the money to buy it and store it at their shop till I arranged transport

I bought three vehicles on eBay in Europe and had the mechanic inspect them before final payment and then had the mechanic drive em back to his shop and remove the drivetrain , which is what I wanted , (2 Litre turbodiesel, 5 speed Toyota 4wd ) and I have the guy the rest of the vehicle for his labor

If you can find a site member on here or some other site you trust to handle the transaction
It’s totally worth the transport costs to get a rust free vehicle

We got our truck from AZ , turns out it had a lot of old bondo in it but not rust and the desert patina is fantastic

And for $1600 for a poorly running , barely drivable , 76 Stepside 4wd , 4 speed , I thought that was a good deal

Way better than anything i could find in Georgia

You need to take a vacation to Cali , find a rust free truck and haul it back with a rented box truck and trailer

Last edited:

beest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
/\ deal!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

I was bored yesterday watching the subcontractors do their thing

Nothing like this on the east coast , that’s for sure

Last edited:

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Search tempest misses too many ads
I use CL , pick a town and click “include nearby areas “
Keep a note pad of which towns you’ve searched

I wouldn’t feel comfortable sending money to a complete stranger but I have hired a local mechanic or some one who was on an active member with a good reputation on a site like this one
to go inspect the vehicle and then sent the mechanic the money to buy it and store it at their shop till I arranged transport

I bought three vehicles on eBay in Europe and had the mechanic inspect them before final payment and then had the mechanic drive em back to his shop and remove the drivetrain , which is what I wanted , (2 Litre turbodiesel, 5 speed Toyota 4wd ) and I have the guy the rest of the vehicle for his labor

If you can find a site member on here or some other site you trust to handle the transaction
It’s totally worth the transport costs to get a rust free vehicle

We got our truck from AZ , turns out it had a lot of old bondo in it but not rust and the desert patina is fantastic

And for $1600 for a poorly running , barely drivable , 76 Stepside 4wd , 4 speed , I thought that was a good deal

Way better than anything i could find in Georgia

You need to take a vacation to Cali , find a rust free truck and haul it back with a rented box truck and trailer

I never had a problem with search tempest. I usually do the same thing with the nearby areas. I found my current Burb doing that and couldnt be happier. I'm now gonna excuse myself from this thread and go search the west coast for a clean 1965 Pontiac, Bonneville of Grand Prix. Catalinas ok too.

The wife is gonna kill me haha

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Bought a camper shell last night from a guy selling his truck 86 4x4 was a 305/350/203 truck, no drive train, he said $1500 looked to have less rust than my truck.

Rooster336

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hans
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
If you want a long term keeper I’d look out west and get a rust free one

Believe it or not the rust free k trucks in California are cheaper than eastern rustbuckets
Especially if they can’t pass the California smog test
They have to be sold to an out of state buyer and that really lowers the price

It worries me to buy anything sight unseen!

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It worries me to buy anything sight unseen!
Me too unless I went to see it or had someone I trusted look at it

Like getting married
It’s never as good as you think it’s going to be
So if you set your expectations low , you won’t be disappointed

Flights are cheap

Ithe only way you are going to find the exact old car you want in rust free condition is to travel to the desert and buy one

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Be aware most 3/4 ton axles have 3.73 gears or 4.10s so highway speeds will be 2500-3000+ rpm depending on tire size with out an over drive transmission.
Most are 3.73

So 33 or 35 inch tires are perfect with 4.11s or 3.73s. Although they could be 3.07
You never know

An 87 should be TBI unless some hillbilly has hacked it up
And slapped on a carb

Careful with shiny paint
It’s usually hiding rust and bondo

Take a refrigerator magnet or one of those magnetic business cards and lay it on every rust prone area

Basically the entire lower half of the truck or anywhere within 6 inches of the bottom and around the wheel wells

And on the front fenders between the headlights and wheel well

Lots of trucks have bondo there from fender bender accidents

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david b