What’s up with this fuel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I switched to battery powered lawn equipment except for the mower.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I switched to battery powered lawn equipment except for the mower.
I’d have to have a lot of batteries! Plus I haven’t bought a motorized yard tool since before battery powered stuff was relevant or even available, or that was new enough.
(Except the new mower but it’s a 35hp Kawi which is probably the equivalent of a Nissan Leaf…lol)

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@OldBlueDually
I understand and respect your opinion. And I agree 100% when talking about actual race gas.
But as I’ve understood (I could be wrong) 100LL, 100octane is the MON octane. Which is about 10 points less than the RON octane rating. So where R+M/2 rated fuel is say 93 octane for premium as we know it, the real world octane of 100LL is not the equivalent of a 100octane R+M/2 fuel but more like 95 RM2 equivalent when it comes to speed of burn and detonation resistance. So it’s NOT that much slower burning than normal unleaded pump premium.
So back to the “why”.
1. Stability. I never have to worry about how old the gas is in my little engines tanks. I used to religiously dump out and run dry every year spring or fall. Until you miss one. (No excuse but there have been several times due to my family situation where that stuff is not on the priority list…long story and my business) so no matter how well I take care of my stuff I’ve dealt with the occasional gummy bear carb.
2. Cost. Gas tax around here is $.60/gal and non ethanol is always at least $1 more than premium. Last 100LL I bought, filled up the 74 Jeep to park it for the winter, well half way, tank leaks otherwise lol. 100LL was $6.73/gal and premium was/is running $5-5.50 currently and non E about $6.50.
So same price as non E, lasts 2 years, smells good AND has good lead for high revving 4s like my 450 snobike.
Bottom line, I’m not spending more and I get the Stabil for free and it lasts twice as long if stored.
If I know I’m going to run through the gas quickly in anything (except the snobike since it calls for 94 or 95 octane anyway) I’ll just run pump gas. Usually cheap 87.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
And I’m running the plastic can now for mixed gas. And it’ll likely last all winter unless we have a big storm and I have to cut trees.
The condensation thing is baffling as it’s same can, same fuel, same jug of oil, generally stored in the same corner of the mower shed or shop for the last 10 years and never happened until 2 out of the last 3 or 4 cans.
But I agree. Only plausible explanation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave